Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Foster Dog -- How to Resist Adopting?

We are fostering a Pomeranian/American Eskimo dog recovering from surgery. He's so sweet and fun I think we might adopt him. Here is a video of him being adorable around the Piano Cat Ipod app:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JciwKyB8Sug

We'd also like to foster again, but afraid I'll be tempted to adopt again. Any suggestions on how to resist the temptation?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, we adopted him today and also picked up a new foster dog (the new one is a shih tzu who recovering from hernia surgery). Staying strong this time! :)

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
No advice other than to remember that if you keep them all, eventually you'll run out of room to foster and that is one less foster home they'll have. We're currently not fostering until I finish school, but I can tell you it's hard. There is STILL a dog to this day I regret not keeping. I think of him every day.

·
Registered
374 Posts
It's really hard sometimes not to adopt. Like ThoseWordsAtBest I have one dog I really wish I'd kept. But I've adopted out others. Sometimes it's hard, sometimes I can't wait for them to be gone *grins*. Sometimes it's both, with a delayed reaction.

It was hard on Elka at first too, she sulked the first few times a foster left. But it's very rewarding to see the dogs with their new families, and then there's always the next one to visit for awhile. =)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice. They called me a "Foster Flunkie" when I adopted him, but I'm very happy I did. :) This new one is a darling too, but I feel strong since I don't want to run out of room and want to continue to help out by fostering.

·
Registered
419 Posts
The temptation wears off.

I have 4 dogs in my house right now.......
I am not tempted at all lol

Seriously once you do it a few times it gets much easier.

But I tend to fall for the hard to place dogs easier, you know the old, the sick the broken...... I think puppies are the devil.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The temptation wears off.

I have 4 dogs in my house right now.......
I am not tempted at all lol

Seriously once you do it a few times it gets much easier.

But I tend to fall for the hard to place dogs easier, you know the old, the sick the broken...... I think puppies are the devil.
So true! The pom mix we adopted is sweet and adorable, but has knee problems and needs to be on lifelong thyroid medication. As a foster parent it's easy to get past those, but for someone just coming to the shelter maybe not so easy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts