Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Hopefully someone can help me with a problem I have with a foster dog. Overall she's a very good dog, but this is not healthy for her body or my sanity.

Just a little background, I live in Seoul, South Korea. The dog was rescued from a high-kill pound and about 2 years old. She's undergoing heartworm treatment and is about to get her second shot. We think she's a peke-mix. Once upon a time she was someone's pet because she's really good inside and on a leash BUT she will NOT use the restroom outside. Ever.

Whoever owned her trained her to pee on the bathroom floor. But due to my apartment set up, this is not a viable option now, as I have to shut the door to contain the moisture and mold. Also, while clean up is super easy in Korean bathrooms, no one from America or Canada are going to want to adopt her and take her home with such a "bad habit."

I've had her for 3 weeks now:

-When she is not supervised, she's in the crate.
-She will not go on a schedule; only when she literally cannot hold it any longer
-She only goes once a day. I've gotten her to go twice a couple of times.
-Outside time is snack treasure hunt time (no way around this as the people in this neighborhood are total SLOBS about their trash - college students)
-Outside time is be interrupted by people clicking their tongues and snapping their figures, which distracts and scares the dog
-We go to the same spot.
-This spot is as boring as I can possibly make it.
-She always has to go there, so its drenched in the smell of her urine.
-My personal dog also goes in this spot.
-If I forget to put her back in the crate, she will immediately come inside and urinate/poop.
-She has no problem with doing so in front of me - or on my foot.
-The few times this has happened I didn't say a word, just took her outside. She immediately puckered up and refused to finish her business.
-Flexi didn't help; tying her up and going out of sight works 10% of the time.
-On the off chance she actually does pee, it's a party - singing, treats, games and a short walk as well as time out of the crate.
-Potty times vary between 5-30 minutes - as long as she's still sniffing - if she stands there and looks at me in we go.
-I carry her to the potty spot, so no distractions.
-I started by taking her out every hour but that is unrealistic as I live in an apartment and I really don't want to flaunt a dog around when I'm supposed to be keeping it on the low with the landlord
-She will not go after eating, drinking or waking up.

Initially when I got her she would poop outside with no problems, but now she's even being fussy about that too. Even when I KNOW she has to go out (farting, gurgling, whining) as soon as she gets outside she makes no attempt to go.

This cannot be healthy for her kidneys but I also cannot let her urinate all over the house or keep the bathroom door open. As a concession, I've put her in the bathroom to go at timed intervals, but the moment the door closes she starts scratching the door and has no interest in going.

If this cannot be solved she will have to go to a new foster home. I am already taking care of two dogs and only took her as an emergency situation (because of the h/w). I don't have a lot of extra time and attention to deal with this matter the entire time I am awake every single day.

[on a side note, she also has aggression and dominance issues with people and other dogs. I don't know if this could be related to that or not.]

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Is your aim to get her adopted by a foreigner who will take her out of the country and expect her to potty outside? (Like most suburban etc Americans, Canadians, Aussies)
Or would you try to get her adopted to a Korean who lives in Seoul and might actually want a dog that is litter box trained (given the common high rise apartments and long work days)?

My thoughts are that you could litter box train her which would have a few positives- it would keep you out of trouble with your landlord, it would solve your current problem of her messing the house, and it would probably be acceptable or even a good thing to a local Korean adopter. If someone else adopted her, she at least wouldn't mess their house and they could work on outdoor potty training in an easier location. Not pee pads, those are too much like any old rug or paper on the floor and are confusing. Either a large cat litter box or a "potty patch" (fake grass) if you can find one locally. I think the litter box would be easier to find (although Dongdaemun or Namdaemun markets seem to have everything) and to keep clean.

Dog aggression issues may be just her personality or it may be due to lack of socializing. Human aggression, real true human aggression, is relatively rare and she might be showing more of resource guarding, fear aggression or simply bad manners (snapping, barking due to never being taught that is inappropriate). Read all the training and first time owner stickies here and you should come away with some useful knowledge. "Dominance" theory though has pretty much been debunked.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello,

Thank you for the long reply!

While there is a chance she could go to a Korean adopter, it's pretty small. In which case they will probably be delighted she pees on the bathroom floor instead of the laminant. Lots of reasons for it but the main one is I simply don't speak Korean. All advertising for her will be done aimed towards ex-pats, if I don't keep her myself.

I am currently attempting to litter train my other foster dog. She is a 2kg/4 lb maltese ex-puppy mill. Her previous "rescuer" pee pad trained her... and I'm having the 'any old rug' problem. Not to mention pee pads seem to be a comfortable place to stand/lay for her YUCK! Also, pee pads are absolutely disgusting IMO :( The peke-mix shows no interest in either the pee pads (used or unused) or the litter box.

I will look for the potty patch; maybe one of the vets can order it. If it were up to me ALL of the dogs would be housebroken and go outside. I live in a studio and it's a constant battle to keep the pee-smell from seeping in (was hoping the litter would contain that better too). But I guess in the city without a yard that's more difficult to do.

But on the bright side, she went outside today and yesterday with minimum hassle and has been out of the crate with no accidents. Fingers crossed she might be getting it.

Re: dominance... wrong choice of words, thanks for pointing that out because that's not what I meant to say with that connotation. You're correct; most of it is resource guarding, which we're working though. She has a very strong personality and doesn't seem to be socialized around other animals, so it is a combination of factors. I've been working with her and at this point its not as big an issue as the potty.

I'm actually thinking that clicker training might be the way to go with her.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sadly, this dog doesn't seem too quick on the uptake. After 5 weeks (I recalculated when I got her), she still refuses to go outside. For a few days she seemed to be getting the hang of it but then reverted back. I've been leaving her out in the house to "catch" her in the act and take her outside, but by the time she has to go it's a flood. Twice I've *almost* gotten her outside but she lost control of her bladder :/ She shows NO interest in pee pads OR the litterbox. She will ONLY go immediately if I let her in the bathroom.

On a side note, she does fairly well with the clicker, so when she pees outside I click and treat. She listens to the clicker better than verbal praise.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I have hope for her yet- the clicker training sounds promising!

Sadly, this dog doesn't seem too quick on the uptake. After 5 weeks (I recalculated when I got her), she still refuses to go outside. For a few days she seemed to be getting the hang of it but then reverted back. I've been leaving her out in the house to "catch" her in the act and take her outside, but by the time she has to go it's a flood. Twice I've *almost* gotten her outside but she lost control of her bladder :/ She shows NO interest in pee pads OR the litterbox. She will ONLY go immediately if I let her in the bathroom.

On a side note, she does fairly well with the clicker, so when she pees outside I click and treat. She listens to the clicker better than verbal praise.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been reading up on pekes and she seems to fit the "profile." I thought dachshunds were stubborn! LOL. The clicker is a MUCH better way to get her attention than praise. Recently I've been playing around with treats trying to find what she responds best to. She has started to snub some of the old ones.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seems like the trip to the vet for the weekend did the trick. She came back from the vet MUCH more inclined to pee outside. I'm not sure why, but she's almost consistently going out and urinating within 5 minutes. Working on the resource guarding with the clicker too. She is a HUGE fan of the clicker, LOL. So stubborn!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great progress on the housebreaking! I can leave her out of the crate now without any accidents. Although I'm beginning to suspect she's a 2x a day pee-er. She really isn't interested in going in the evening, just mornings and nighttime. Not so much progress on the resource guarding :( well, I guess on the resource guarding too... for low value items.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts