Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lexie is a 7 year old collie mix that I've had since August 9th. The rescue had me a bit nervous about getting this dog since I'd only been hearing the negatives about her. I was told that she was aggressively protective of the yard and her family and that she was an incessant barker. She was being surrendered because her family couldn't control her behaviour.

She does have a few issues (reactivity to dogs passing our house, reactivity to certain things while in a car, pushy and mouthy while playing) but she is so easy to correct and so willing to please. I think she was surrendered because she was left outside a lot and they just didn't know much about dog behaviour or training. She has some issues but she is one of the easiest dogs I've had yet as far as training goes and I would NEVER describe this dog as "uncontrollable"!

This picture was taken the day I brought her home. She needed a good brushing and she was a bit stressed out. In my experience, owner surrenders are often more stressed at being moved than a homeless dog. They've been loved and love their people even if they weren't in the right home.

It didn't take her long to settle in. We go to the dog park a lot and she loves it. I've been taking her to agility the last couple of weeks as well... Lexie is very self aware and super agile (she'll bounce in place in front of me and my dad and she gets her head as high as ours!) and she's very comfortable with the pieces. She's fun to work with.

Usually fosters sleep in a kennel but Lexie is perfectly kennel and house trained already. So she's currently sleeping on a mattress beside my bed haha.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Congrats on rescuing such a great dog. She is beautiful and it sounds like she has found the right home. Also, welcome to the forums. I hope you continue posting pics.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oops, should have clarified. I foster dogs for a local rescue, I won't be keeping Lexie. She'll be with me until she's adopted but she hasn't found her forever home yet. I have a twelve year old bichon of my own and a border collie that I "co-own" and train in agility!

·
Registered
649 Posts
She is very cute!! As soon as she gets some training it won't take long for her to get adopted!! I currently am fostering a big guy that is reactive to other dogs while on leash and also a big barker we have had him for a month or so but might have him for some time because he is a 100lb black dog.
Hope she finds her Furever home!!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
WANT!

I take former owner descriptions with a grain of salt. Yes, sometimes the dog has a bad temperament, but most often, they just aren't exercised enough, weren't socialized properly and aren't trained. Amazingly, you actually have to do stuff with your dog. Crazy, I know.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Beautiful dog! I think its wonderful that you foster dogs.

·
Registered
509 Posts
She is a really good looking dog! Congratulations & it looks like she has fit right in.....she is a very lucky girl :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts