Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first foster and am not sure how to go about making sure he is ok with cats without putting my own cat in danger.
He hasn't shown any real signs of aggression towards my cat yet. The day we brought him home he didn't seem bothered by the cat at all and when I took him out in the evening he tried to go after her (not growling or barking) and now I am noticing that when she gets close to him he gives her a stare down and gets fixated on her.
Does anyone know what I can do to find out forsure if he wants to hurt her or if he is just interested in her without putting her in danger. I want him to be as adoptable as possible he diserves a great forever home.
thanks

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I've had good luck holding my cat on my lap with the butt towards the dog, and letting the dog sniff him. Reward the dog for being gentle. Often, keeping the dog on a leash, while cat wanders around the room, and distracting the dog when he starts to stare seems to work. Never leave the 2 together alone until you are 100% sure they are ok. Even then, use a gate so the cat can jump over to get away, or if it's a large dog, you can raise the gate about 6" off the ground so the cat can fit under, but the dog can't, and it's too high to jump.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts