Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nobody is going to think that a doggie IQ test actually determines the intelligence of your dog, since all breeds operate on a different level. This is just for fun and comparing results, nobody is actually going to judge you or your dog. :p I thought we needed a little more fun and a little less constant trolling and arguing and insults.

Feel free to predict how your dog will do before the test.

Test your dog with each of the following and assign points in regards to how they do. Post your results along with your breed (or rough guess :p) and any other information you care to share! These are some basic questions found on most silly internet dog IQ tests.

If your dog is not treat motivated, a favorite toy might do.

1.)
Take a treat, and let your dog watch you place it under a cup. Make sure he is at least a few feet away. One the cup is down and you have the dogs attention, allow him to get to the cup. Time how long it takes him to figure it out and get the treat:

5 seconds or less: 5 points
5 to 15 seconds: 4 points
15 to 30 seconds: 3 points
30 to 60 seconds: 2 points
More than 60 seconds (or not at all): 1 point

2.)
Put a blanket over your dog while he is awake and alert. Time how long it takes him to escape the fortress of the blanket.

10 seconds or less: 5 points
10 to 20 seconds: 4 points
20 to 40 seconds: 3 points
40 to 90 seconds: 2 points
More than 90 seconds (or not at all): 1 point

3.)
Take a treat, and let your dog watch you place it on the floor. Make sure he is at least a few feet away. Put a wash cloth over the treat. Release him. Time how long it takes him to figure it out and get the treat:

4.) With your dog watching, place a treat under something which he can reach with his paw, but can not get his head under. Time how long it takes him to retrieve the treat.

Feel free to post adorable pictures to accompany :p

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Barsky is my australian cattle dog:

Test 1: Barsky took 8 seconds, scoring 4 points.

Test 2: Barsky took 5 seconds, scoring 5 points.

Test 3: Barsky took 42 seconds, scoring 2 points

Test 4: Barsky took 5 seconds, scoring 5 points.

Barsky earned 16 points out of a possible 20

Wow, I really thought he'd to better on the washcloth thing! He actually uncovored the treat quickly, but then it took him 30 seconds to realize that the treat was not still under there >.<

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cricket, I just read that comic again, that's what gave me the idea :p glad everyone here is a HAAH fan.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Hey thanks that was fun-- it livened up our day-- happy to report Layla the Giant Schnauzer scored 15 outa 20-- surprisingly she had the hardest time with the washcloth test -- I thought she would do that one faster.. But then I used a stinky kitchen hand towel maybe that threw her off (she is now digging through all our camping supplies to look for more treats)--
Thanx again!

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
THIS.
I did this with my dog a while ago and I think he scored somewhere in the average. We ran into two obstacles:
1. My dog didn't care he had a blanket over him and the giant lump of a blenket just slumped down and accepted it.
2. There is no place in my house where my dog cannot reach a treat with his mouth.

Oh well. That's my boy :D

·
Registered
7,412 Posts
I can't even do this because both of my dogs already know all these games -- I like to make them work for their toys and treats. Casper is bad at the cup one (well, not terrible; he knows what to do but is hesitant, so it usually takes around 10 seconds before he'll paw gently at the cup). Crystal just smacks the cup over immediately. They both use their paws a lot, so the one with treats hidden under something where only feet fit is easy for them. So is the washcloth one. Crystal is best at the blanket-over-the-head one -- as soon as she sees that I'm going to toss a blanket over her, she rears up on her hind legs and smacks it away. On the rare occasions I manage to get one over her head, she jumps up and pushes it off with her front paws. Casper does the back up/shake it off thing.

·
Banned
693 Posts
Hehe, here are my results:

Loki - 2 and 1/2 years old GSD mix

Test 1: 3 seconds, 5 points
Test 2: 4 seconds, 5 points
Test 3: 4 seconds, 5 points
Test 4: 5 seconds, 5 points

The dog is very good at puzzle solving and is very treat motivated

Atlas - 5 year old GSD mix

Test 1: 32 seconds - circled the cup uncertainly, finally accidentally knocked it over while circling, so 1 point
Test 2: Never - Atlas got tired of trying to remove the blanket, so simply laid down, 1 point
Test 3: Never - he stepped on the wash cloth, then laid down on top of it so Loki couldn't get the treat, 1 point
Test 4: Never - got his head stuck under the coffee table, 1 point

Atlas is not so good at problem solving ;)

·
Registered
179 Posts
SiSi's results:
1. 1 point. Looked at it, sniffed it, pawed it softly, then looked at me and started going through her tricks. When I just told her "get the treat, SiSi!" She looked at me blankly. I waited, and her tail dropped between her legs and she started giving me calming signals, so I gave in, picked up the cup and gave her the treat.
2. 5 points- it took her about 2 seconds, but then she started shaking the blanket in her mouth, carrying it around, burrowing in it and rolling in it, so I'm not really sure what that scores.
3. 1 point. Went exactly the same as 1. I left it for a bit, she tried some tricks, then got really sad and looked like she thought I was upset with her (if you can't tell, she's a super-soft dog)
4. I don't have any objects that match this description, the only one I have is really close to the ground and it would be really awkward for her to use her paw, so I tried it. It went pretty much the same as task 1 and 3.

So there you go, SiSi fails at IQ tests XP I could try Neeka again, but I feel like she would run into the same obstacles as we did last time. Last time I did it, she either looked at me with a long-suffering expression for tests like the blanket one, or for treat tests she acted like she hadn't heard the release word and kept waiting. The only time I purposefully put good food on the floor is when we're practising 'leave it', so I think that might be part of what's stopping them from trying.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hehe, here are my results:

Loki - 2 and 1/2 years old GSD mix

Test 1: 3 seconds, 5 points
Test 2: 4 seconds, 5 points
Test 3: 4 seconds, 5 points
Test 4: 5 seconds, 5 points

The dog is very good at puzzle solving and is very treat motivated

Atlas - 5 year old GSD mix

Test 1: 32 seconds - circled the cup uncertainly, finally accidentally knocked it over while circling, so 1 point
Test 2: Never - Atlas got tired of trying to remove the blanket, so simply laid down, 1 point
Test 3: Never - he stepped on the wash cloth, then laid down on top of it so Loki couldn't get the treat, 1 point
Test 4: Never - got his head stuck under the coffee table, 1 point

Atlas is not so good at problem solving ;)
haha! I love Atlas' reactions to the tests! So cute :) I will try this with my dog tomorrow!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Test Results:

Rascal - 9 years

1st test: Three seconds. 5 points.
2nd test: Really quick, but considering this dog can bury himself under a blanket(with NO part of his body exposed) in less than 5- not surprising. 5 points.
3rd test: The results really surprised me. Rascal kept trying to lift the cloth off the treat(with his paw on it) instead of flipping it over. 29 seconds. 3 points.

Pippa - 17 weeks

1st test results. I kind of cheated on hers. After about ten seconds of sniffing around the cup she lost interest and started to walk away so I tapped the cup to regain her attention :redface: : 23 seconds. 2 points. I took away one point for my involvement.
2nd test: 5 seconds. 5 points.
3rd test: 6 seconds. 4 points.

The 4th test took a while for me to find something they couldn't squeeze their head under!

Pippa: 4 seconds(this girl really likes to use her paws, I've seen her pulling out ice under the fridge before). 5 points.
Rascal: 5 seconds. 5 points.

I was really hesitant at trying this test on Pippa because last time(when she was 13 weeks) she failed miserably. She couldn't figure out how to get the treat from under the cup; she would just lay down with the blanket on her head and after that I didn't test her any more. I'm glad I did it now though. It was fun for all three of us! :D

·
Registered
127 Posts
Gunner - 2 year old pap/pom mix neutered male
Mackenzie - 4 year old mix (new vet says he thinks flat coated retriever, I don't really see it) we say she is a border collie or aussie mixed with something fuzzy. Unfixed female (working on it... long story)

1.)
Take a treat, and let your dog watch you place it under a cup. Make sure he is at least a few feet away. One the cup is down and you have the dogs attention, allow him to get to the cup. Time how long it takes him to figure it out and get the treat:

Gunner got 5 points (he likes playing the shell game with 3 cups!)
Kenzie was scared of the cup (predicted) so gets one by default

2.)
Put a blanket over your dog while he is awake and alert. Time how long it takes him to escape the fortress of the blanket.

Gunner scored 4 points... but may be due to the fact that he is 8# and it was a full size blanket.
Kenzie got 3 points but escaped due to totally freaking out. Not sure that should count.

3.)
Take a treat, and let your dog watch you place it on the floor. Make sure he is at least a few feet away. Put a wash cloth over the treat. Release him. Time how long it takes him to figure it out and get the treat:

Gunner got 4... unless he gets 5 for attempting to eat the treat THROUGH the cloth.
Kenzie says cloths are scary... another 1

4.) With your dog watching, place a treat under something which he can reach with his paw, but can not get his head under. Time how long it takes him to retrieve the treat.

Gunner got 3 first time, but 5 second. Had to rerun as I placed the treat too far under first time... but he DID use his paw! Extra points for that? He had to practically squeeze in sideways flattened to floor.
Kenzie actually got 3 here, surprising me!

And I agree that this means little except that Gunner is hyper as hell and very treat motivated and Kenzie is a well fed wuss. Both are smart enough to learn a new simple trick in just one session usually!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ok. Sofie is still under the blanket. She basically sat down and fell asleep under it. I see the blanket rising and falling with her deep sleeping breaths! Lol. Moron.

The cup and washcloth she did ok with. But when she stuck her paw under the futon where she couldnt see, she swiped the treat out of her reach. The dimwit tried to plow her much too big body under the futon, driving it across the floor. I just got the treat for her before she hurt herself or got stuck!

I alway call her a stupid hound dog, but she once moved a chair to get access to a counter which got her to a box of chocolate covered cherries on top of the fridge. For food she is bona fide MENSA. For anything else its hard to get the lightbulb to turn on. And it still burns rather dimly even when it does.

·
Banned
693 Posts
I always call her a stupid hound dog, but she once moved a chair to get access to a counter which got her to a box of chocolate covered cherries on top of the fridge. For food she is bona fide MENSA. For anything else its hard to get the lightbulb to turn on. And it still burns rather dimly even when it does.
Haha! You know, Atlas is kind of the same way and would have fallen asleep under the blanket if I hadn't removed it. Very very idiotic most of the time. But he knows how to open the doors in my apartment. Go figure?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Some dogs elevators do not reach the top floor... and they are using the fire access stairs that are locked from outside! (just thought you might like the quote - I cannot talk, I have a dog afraid of a cup!)

·
Registered
731 Posts
I'll try this, but number 2, the blanket thing....Gweebs gonna fail it. He's obsessed with being under blankets so he will not get out of it.

Actually, right now he's sitting under a blanket. He's been there for an hour.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts