Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yes, they did it. They banned pitbulls from living on base.

My dogs are grandfathered in because I had them prior to January 1st. I pay $1200 to live here every month, and this passed without a vote. Thanks a lot to the people who own these houses, because they are not government run.

:(

http://www.fortdrummch.com/news_archive/view/591

There's their new policy, which states they can put in new policies as they see fit. I think I'm going to move.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I just read their newly adopted pet policy on-line and I don't think that's very fair at all. I did like how they mentioned that dogs, regardless of breed will be "evicted" if they run aggressively along the fence line, escape confinement to chase people, biting people and barking aggressively towards on-comers. But i think its a load of crap that if that's their new "policy" it seems that they automatically assume that every pit, doberman, rotti, or wolf hybrid does all of those things, which is a load of bull.

I'm glad your dogs were grandfathered in because I read the title and my heart skipped a beat I was thinking "oh no! :(" Do you think new residents are going to be reporting you for having your dogs because they don't know they were grandfathered in?

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know my neighbor will "report" me into the management office...he's an ass like that. BUT...I already talked to them, they made a note in my file, so they know about it, and he can just go away. We're to the point with him that he harasses us...he's a tool.

I don't like it at all. Especially the "scratching" part. If Lily does anything, she jumps up and you might get scratched...but she's not being aggressive, its' the "OMG I LURVES YOU!" I also have to have maintenance come over tomorrow and what the lady said pissed me off "You have to kennel your dog the whole time they are there now, because of the policy" well I didn't read that part...rude b!tch.

I'm going to put my dogs in another room well away from the maintenance guy so there's no way he can say they were aggressive (which none of them are) toward him and try to get my dogs taken away...I can prevent this.

But I'm still pissed off because I pay $1200 a month here an it never went to a vote, they just put in the policy...so I'm thinking my $1200 a month is better spent somewhere else.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Good God!!! The onslaught continues...

If HSUS and PETA have their way there won't be any Working, Bully, or Hunting breeds left... Leaving only toy breeds. No offense to the toy breed owners, but if that's all that's left, then I'd rather not own a dog... Period.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Yes, they did it. They banned pitbulls from living on base.

My dogs are grandfathered in because I had them prior to January 1st. I pay $1200 to live here every month, and this passed without a vote. Thanks a lot to the people who own these houses, because they are not government run.

:(

http://www.fortdrummch.com/news_archive/view/591

There's their new policy, which states they can put in new policies as they see fit. I think I'm going to move.
New Pet Policy

According to Department of the Army regulations (January 5, 2009), residents of on-post housing are limited to a total of 2 dogs or cats per household. Breeds (including mixed breeds) deemed “aggressive or potentially aggressive” are not permitted unless the dog is a certified military working dog that is being boarded by its handler/trainer. The following breeds are deemed aggressive or potentially aggressive: Pit Bulls (American Staffordshire Bull Terriers or English Staffordshire Bull Terrirers), Rottweilers, Doberman Pinschers, Chows and wolf hybrids. Any other dog that demonstrates a propensity for dominance or aggressive behavior as indicated by any of the following types of conduct
New Pet Policy
It's NOT just Pittes!

My girl would not be allowed, she runs the fence line and barks thanks to the pug (who also does it)!

I also have to have maintenance come over tomorrow and what the lady said pissed me off "You have to kennel your dog the whole time they are there now, because of the policy" well I didn't read that part...rude b!tch.

I'm going to put my dogs in another room well away from the maintenance guy so there's no way he can say they were aggressive (which none of them are) toward him and try to get my dogs taken away...I can prevent this.

But I'm still pissed off because I pay $1200 a month here an it never went to a vote, they just put in the policy...so I'm thinking my $1200 a month is better spent somewhere else.
The kennel your dogs part has always been the policy here, and I can understand why, many of our maintenence people here are scared of dogs no matter what size.

BTW, we pay 2200+ for Mil housing here (0-2E), enlisted pay around 1700+.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah but this is BFE NY, not San Diego...BAH is $1300 (with the new increase) it's not like the cost of living is high like there...it's nuts.

and no, not just pitties, but rotti's, chows, dobes...this is sad.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Oh that is nice.. I can tell them this as my experience. In my life I have met ONE aggressive Rottie (and he was made that way by his owners), NO aggressive pit bulls, No aggressive Dobies...

The most frequently aggressive dogs I have met have been.. (please don't laugh....) DASCHUNDS. Oh yeah..

I never understood these lists. I think they are a knee jerk reaction to some complaint or incident. the most important thing to remember in this is 50% of a knee Jerk reaction is the word jerk.

Renting a house for $1200 in Fort Drum and now THIS? This is Fort Drum? ya know.. near the Thriving metroplois of Watertown and Lowville????!!!!! *sigh*

I would I surely hope for that amount of rent they remove your snow!!!!!!

·
Banned
335 Posts
Am I the only one who thinks that it's ironic that "dangerous" dog breeds are being banned from military housing when the military uses dogs that have been trained to protect and to attack? I'm just saying . . .

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Elana, if they're anything like here they do ALL front yard maintence and if you DON'T have a dog we can get them to do the backyard for $5.00 a month. It's also ALL utilities paid, the only thing out of pocket is Phone, cable and high speed internet (free dial up).

ACampbell, I could be renting a house out in town in a better school district for 1600.00 (with a Gardener) a month and even with the utilities it wouldn't be what I'm paying.

Am I the only one who thinks that it's ironic that "dangerous" dog breeds are being banned from military housing when the military uses dogs that have been trained to protect and to attack? I'm just saying . . .

They are allowing Military WORKING dogs. I think the key word is TRAINED, most of the workng dogs don't run the fence.

·
Banned
335 Posts
LOL Carla, I understand--it just strikes me as ironic that AR legislation can hit military housing, too, especially when the military uses dogs every day and presumably is more informed than the general public. That's all.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
thing is, that military housing g has been PRIVATIZED, it's no longer RUN by the military but by private companies that are PROFITING from government money with few rules. PPV companies are running mil housing in a lowest bidder style and often charging rents that are higher in some cases than you can find out in town

In fact here in San Diego we didn't have central air conditioning nor were we allowed to have window units until we went to the locals news stations during a horrific heat wave.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh that is nice.. I can tell them this as my experience. In my life I have met ONE aggressive Rottie (and he was made that way by his owners), NO aggressive pit bulls, No aggressive Dobies...

The most frequently aggressive dogs I have met have been.. (please don't laugh....) DASCHUNDS. Oh yeah..

I never understood these lists. I think they are a knee jerk reaction to some complaint or incident. the most important thing to remember in this is 50% of a knee Jerk reaction is the word jerk.

Renting a house for $1200 in Fort Drum and now THIS? This is Fort Drum? ya know.. near the Thriving metroplois of Watertown and Lowville????!!!!! *sigh*

I would I surely hope for that amount of rent they remove your snow!!!!!!
Surely you must jest, I have to shovel that white crap by myself. Then they come by with a snow blower and blow the main road right back on my sidewalk...and they don't plow my street so I can't get my Mustang out of my own driveway. Complaining doesn't help, they don't do anything at all about it...I've tried, even a nicely well written letter to their corporate office about their "snow removal" joke.

Yeah, thriving metropolis of Watertown and Lowville...I have 3 kids, and a 3 BR house...I was supposed to get a 4 but didn't want to wait a year and a half of a waiting list...for $1200-1300 a month I can BUY a house and go live in town (which if I'm stuck here, is looking like an option, this is getting out of hand)

Elana, you must know this area then...and know that rent off base isn't as high as what i pay for the "priviledge" of base quarters...what a crock.

·
Banned
335 Posts
Ah . . . when I was little, we lived on the Army base. I guess a lot of things have changed.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
thing is, that military housing g has been PRIVATIZED, it's no longer RUN by the military but by private companies that are PROFITING from government money with few rules. PPV companies are running mil housing in a lowest bidder style and often charging rents that are higher in some cases than you can find out in town

In fact here in San Diego we didn't have central air conditioning nor were we allowed to have window units until we went to the locals news stations during a horrific heat wave.
Exactly! When I lived at Fort Huachuca, AZ it was not privatized military housing at all. So, we had a lot more freedom, even though they still took all our BAH. I think it's crooked letting companies monopolize the housing on base. Unfortunately, that's the way most of it is going.

They put down rules without regulation, and we can't complain because it doesn't do us any good.

They don't do my yard maintenance in the summer either. They have a limit how tall the grass can get, and they mow it once every 2 weeks (sometimes, over the last summer they mowed twice) so the rest of the time I had to mow it myself to keep it in standard. They will also not do my backyard at all, dogs or not. I've tried complaining, I've tried writing their corporate office etc...the bottom line is, they get out money and don't care. I have electrical shorts in my brand new house (not even a year old yet) and they won't get around to it until the end of this month. My bathroom floor is coming up and the tile is broken because the door caught on it...but I have to wait another 3 weeks to have it fixed.

I miss government run housing. :(

ETA: maintenance was supposed to be out tomorrow to fix the electrical problems, since have called me back saying "well your house is under warranty so we have to wait for the contractors, how's the 23rd for you"

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Well then Lincoln is doing better than your people, if we have any issues they are in the house within 24 hours. If we have a short, it's an emergency and someone is there within MINUTES and it's fixed in an hour.

Sometimes corporate isn't the people to go to, you have to find out who's in charge from theMil end (they still have a say) and consistently file comlaints.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think, on average, my neighbor and I file at least 3 complaints a month...everyone in my neighborhood is complaining, and here's the fun part. We had a neighbor behind us (all these houses were finished around June 2008) that's bathtub fell through the floor into his living room. But they tried to cover that up and said it didn't happen (the guy lived right behind me) also had 2 houses in my area burn to the ground in the past 3 months...

It's insane, I hope that most places are better than the crackheads that run mine. I'm told the Airforce and Navy/Marine bases do a lot better than the Army ones though, so who knows. I know it's been nothing but a nightmare since I moved in here...have a neighbor that's a dog hater and makes my life a living hell, and now this.

The thing that gets me is there's a dog down the street that is horrible, runs the fence, barks, tries to jump the fence, etc...some kind of mutt. But yet all I see with the folks with the pitbulls is people walking them on leash and haven't had any try to bite me like this other local mutt. My friend has a Dobie that is the sweetest dog ever, I haven't seen any Rott's here yet or Chow's...but also didn't see Cane Corso's, or other "bully" breeds mentioned, just the APBT, AST, EBT...no Fila's, etc...

I also find it ironic because GSD's usually hit the "dangerous" list...maybe because all the working dogs I've seen on post are GSD's they didn't add them in? Idk, all I know is that it's just not cool by me and I was already disliking this place, this being the straw that breaks the camels back and I want out ASAP.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
You know, it IS a private company, I'd be documenting like crazy and getting a real estate lawyer for a class action lawsuit.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's what I was thinking, it's also deemed unconstitutional in the state of NY to ban breeds according to something I read (which I'm going to have to pull up, but they did have a big court case about this...not sure how it applies because some of NYC has bans) so it might be worth my while to go and find that and then see what can be done.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts