Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not necessarily at the same time, when and why did you decide to get another?

Now, I know most of you are aware my crazy impulses got me bringing home a cat, but don't worry, I'm not thinking about another dog for about 6 or 7 years. I only thought of this because I spoke to a neighbor today who had already gone to Trent's breeder to put a deposit on an August litter. He had said he wanted another puppy because it was almost his German shepherd's time to go. Then, yesterday I also spoke to another person who said they would have to put their black lab down soon and wanted a puppy now while she is still with them.

I know some people who get littermates, some who get a puppy for a few months, love him/her so much, they go and get another one, and some who just decided their dog needs a companion. I know some who have experienced the heart break of their dog passing on, and swear never to get another dog.

So why did you decide to get another dog? How old was your current dog(s)? How old was the new dog? Was it something you thought long and hard about, or did you see a new dog come into the shelter and felt a tug at your heart?

·
Registered
442 Posts
We adopted our 2nd dog, Mayzie, in March of this year. I tell people that she was an "unplanned arrival"...lol. We had talked about getting another dog next year and my hubby was looking into different breeds to see what kind of dog might fit best with our current dog, Ranger, and our lifestyle.

Well, we stopped by a pet supply store one day and they were having an adoption fair. Usually I can go pet the dogs, think they're cute and walk away. Not this day. I was sitting in the floor petting another dog and this little skinny brindle girl walked over, sat in my lap, looked up at me, and that was pretty much it. She completely chose me.

I wouldn't say we got her on impulse because it took us about two weeks to decide to actually adopt her and another two weeks before we brought her home. We did a lot of talking with each other and with Mayzie's foster mom to make sure this was the right decision. We also made sure the two dogs met and got along.

It's worked out REALLY well...much better than I had hoped. Ranger's 5 and we've had him about 3 years, so we had been able to spend time working through any behavioral issues before adding Mayzie. Mayzie's about 2. I think it's a good age difference and it's good that they're different sexes. They play and romp like crazy and she's really brought out the less serious side of Ranger, while he's helped give her confidence.

It was a great decision for us but it's definitely more work, time and money. However, we totally think she's worth it!

·
Registered
267 Posts
We got our 2nd dog 2 years ago, when my daughter had college orientation. Hubby and I had talked about getting a 2nd dog, but I'm not sure how serious either of us was. Our 6 year old golden is such a good guy, we didn't want to make his life unbearable by having an obnoxious pup annoying him. But, on the way back from orientation, I told him we were getting a pup that day, as I needed a little girl in our house, so I could brush her "hair". On the way back from orientation, we stopped off and Lexi (cockapoo) picked us out. It's been wonderful and now that we have two, I don't know why I never did it before.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We got a male miniature schnauzer several years ago and everything was fine for about a year... I think until he started to grow up (grow older). He would go through what appeared to be mild cases of depression. We would leave for work in the morning, and he would be laying on the bed with his head down the entire time we were getting ready for work. We would leave the house for the day and he wouldn't come to send us off. We knew it was probably lonliness. Dogs are natively pack animals who are social and need to be in groups or with others. So we decided to purchase a 2nd miniature schnauzer (a female) this time to keep him company... which worked. His dis-interest or depression went away as he has someone else now to keep him company and play with while we were at work.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I got Cara and Mia as 10-week-old littermates. When they were about 4, I got a GSD puppy (8 week old) Jaia, because I've wanted one all my life and hubby said yes. :D I wasn't sure how Cara would respond to him because she'd never been crazy about little dogs or puppies, but I worked with them and eventually, they were safe as houses together. He did, however, use Mia as a chew toy and she allowed it. He literally abused her every chance he got and she just took it. When he was about 9 months old, the opportunity was presented to me (by Jaia's breeder) to get another GSD puppy, 16 weeks old, and Jaia's half-sister. After talking about it, my husband and I decided it might be just what we needed in the house to get Jaia OFF of Mia's neck and balance the energy in the pack. So, we got B'asia. And it was the perfect decision! Jaia turned all his attention toward B'asia and has never chewed on Mia since. :D

Now, make no mistake, I didn't get B'asia JUST for Jaia. I wanted her! And in fact, I want another one. But that's the one time I did get a dog hoping it would benefit the other dogs, and it did. That doesn't always work out. :)

·
Registered
473 Posts
We added our second just a few months ago. I just love dogs and figured more of a good thing is always better. We had tried adopting about a dozen dogs, none of which worked out for one reason or another (already adopted, didn't get along w/ Toby, etc.). We went to look at yet another dog at a shelter's "open house" and Buddy, the guy we went to see, was already adopted. The only dog there was little Fergus. I think he was drugged because he was the gentlest, calmest dog, sweetest dog. I fell in love even though he wasn't really what we were looking for (I tend towards the Big Black Dogs like Toby). We decided to take him home and ended up w/ the Tazmanian Devil!!! No regrets and we love the guy, but he took some getting used to (still working on that actually!!).

·
Registered
399 Posts
well my family has always gotten another puppy when one of our older dogs are past their prime and we want the older dog to teach the younger dog the ropes. When Shadow our Bouv had pups we kept one of the babies, when Maddie got old we got Casey who is 3 years old. Then me and the SO decided to get a dog who is Teagan, not because our other dogs were getting old, but because we decided we were ready for a puppy.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
I want to get another Crested in a year or two. Not for any reason other than because I'd like to have two. =) Icesis is completely indifferent to other dogs, so she won't care one way or another. She would be around 6 or 7 by then. I would prefer an adult dog to a puppy, but I haven't decided one way or another. I think both choices would have their pros and cons.

I've always had two dogs at a time, it's just a 'natural' number to have, to me.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
My dogs always just showed up and needed a home or they would come by a bad fate. The only dog I have ever really went out looking for was Carsten. I had just had enough of all the sad stories and wanted to get one dog from a breeder. I watched all the conformation shows and fell in love with this one particular dog. I had to have one of his puppies.

Sadly for all the needy dogs out there, I am no longer in a financial position to take them all in. :( Hopefully things will improve and I can get back at it.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
We got Lloyd because we had moved out together and I made it almost 2 years without a dog before I just needed a dog in the house! Then 8 months later, Allie, who then belonged to Julie's sister needed a home. Their baby had started crawling and Allie was not liking it and had nipped her a couple of times. They mean well but are not very good handlers, Allie was used to doing what she wanted and running the house. We just couldn't see her get put down, they couldn't send her to a shelter or rescue after she had bitten someone, they couldn't rehome her because then they would be liable if anything happened. I felt confident I could handle her, so we got Allie because there were no other options for her. We had lived with them previously and had lived with Allie. Turned out Allie was very sick and that is most likely the reason she nipped at the baby, but either way she wasn't happy living with the baby. Lloyd was 1 1/2 or so, Allie was 5 or 6. Allie was/is hugely leash reactive, fear aggressive, wanted to chase everything that moved (tires, small animals, small dogs, bikes, skateboarders, rollerbladers . . . ). She was not used to living in a city. She is way, way better I can walk her down the street now without her wanted chase everything. She still kills various little animals in the backyard, but at least its not cars and people on bikes. She can also sniff noses with other dogs on leash now:)

Allie and Lloyd thankfully got along great. It took a month or two for them to really mesh with each other, but they did.

Fast forward to 8 weeks ago and we got Nash, our 3rd dog. Lloyd is now 2 1/2, Allie is either 6 or 7 (I'd have to look it up), Nash is a year to a year and a half. I wanted another dog and wanted to start competing in obedience and other things. My worker is a foster for a resuce and brought Nash to work. I fell for him. He is a pretty, drivey, sable GSD who had a bad start. It is not the best time for us to have another dog, but he is the right dog for what I want to do. Getting him integrated has been a bit troublesome. He and Lloyd have a couple of minor fights, but they seem to have worked it out (well I worked it out for them, as in they have no choice but to behave if they want any privelages at all in life). Allie LOVES Nash, she was unsure of him at first, but now she adores him. Nash and I have been doing lots of training, he is coming a long way. There have been some unexpected bumps in the way (seperation anxiety, giardia, herniated belly button, he just injured his foot) but we will get there. We will be starting search and rescue training once his foot heals.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
I have had 2 dogs for years. It makes ME feel better. But it feels so natural. I have been pretty darn lucky with the pairs I have had. Tinker and Lucy were together (with me) for 13 yrs until I had to have Tinker PTS. I got Butch about 3 months later (unplanned) but it was love at first sight. He was free from my vet although I would not have been at the vet had it not been for Mortimer being hurt. I call Butch my "$350 FREE dog". 2 yrs later I had Lucy PTS. We waited for a month and Butch and I picked out Roxxy together. Butch and Roxxy are best buds and she loves him to pieces. Mortimer loves Roxxy (more than she loves him...other than to chase him!).

2 dogs and 1 cat are the perfect mix (or 2 dogs and 2 cats). It's when I add the 3rd dog to the mix that I have problems.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I was asked the other day why I have so many dogs... I honestly have no answer for that. They just sort of happened. We'd get one, then we'd want another. Then another... Once we reached 6 for a while, I knew that 5 was more my number. But yeah, no reason why we have 5 dogs, we just do and we love every minute of it. ;)

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I lost my Lab, Tala, almost 3 1/2 years ago. It took us just over 3 years to decide we really wanted another puppy...well, the hubby wanted a puppy I was more interested in rescuing a young adult. We compromised and decided on a 8 week old, male, yellow lab puppy from the local shelter. After many phone calls, being told they'd call us and that call never coming through I was getting very frustrated. I happened to look through the "pets for sale" ads in some local papers (online versions) and found Busters litter. That day the shelter was supposed to call me "around 4". Once again, the call never came, by 6 we were on the road to bring Buster home. We'd both been dreaming of a Saint Bernard pup for years, my husband had a stuffed Saint Bernard pup when he was little named Buster...thats how my big guy got his name.

I have no hard feelings towards the shelter, I know I have the puppy that was meant for me. If I had brought home the little Lab boy I wouldnt have my "heart dog"...and I wouldnt trade my baby boy for anything in this world!

Buster will be an only dog for at least 3-4 years, possibly forever. Selfishly, I dont want to share him! Each moment with him is a gift.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Cupid is my first dog (ever), and I got him in November. Adjusting to one took a lot of getting used to, because I never had dogs when growing up. In February, I started to want a second one. I held off for a while because I wasn't sure how Cupid would handle it. I knew he would be fine as an only dog, although there were times when I wished there were a doggy buddy I could leave him with. He spends a lot of time with my friend's dog, but still . . .

I mostly wanted a dog for me.

I was planning on a girl, but I fell hard when I met Clayton. He was such a cute fluffball of a pup. And Cupid seemed curious and interested, which is really more than he'd been about the other candidates.

It took a while for all of us to adjust, but I don't regret having two, or having the two that I have. It's a very good dynamic now, and I think it's been good for Cupid and for me.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
We looked for a second dog for a while before getting Web. By "a while" I mean on and off for about 6 months, the last 4 months of that was looking seriously. Kim was just over a year old when we got Web, and he was 10 months.

Really we wanted a second dog for us, but also to provide companionship and a playmate for Kim. We got a great dog for us, but failed on the second point...while Kim and Web get along pretty well, the difference in size and speed puts an immediate damper on play sessions as Webster constantly has to remind Kim that if she's too rough he will stop playing, and Kim has to remember to be gentle so she can't roughhouse the way she loves to do.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Here's my story. When my last girl Misty had died I waited for a good 8 months until I was fully ready for another dog, by that time we went to search for a dog/puppy at this place where they were having adoption day that's how we end up with Johnnie she was 12 wks old now she is an one-year old rumbustious dog! Months later we've decide to get another dog from the shelter yet again only this time I wanted another Mini Schnauzer :) The reason why we got another dog was for Johnnie to have a friend, buddy to have one other to play. I think they were a perfect match! Johnnie before I add the second dog was a love-bug wanted to play with each dog she ever encouters and still is. So that's how we got the second dog

I think while Trent is still young you can bring another cat into your lives. I think you should go to a no-kill animal shelter and find your new cat for Trent. Be sure the cat adores puppy plus I'd get a youngster kitten

·
Registered
566 Posts
I lost my cat last year and it broke my heart. I have to say I was very selfish to get our new dog Kina. Sadie is going to be 11 this year and I'm so scared of loosing her.

Sadie was such a big suck when I lost my cat. She was my comfort. She just let me hold her and cry.

In February I then started thinking about what I would do if I lost her too. I'd have no pets left. I also heard that if you get a new dog, the older one goes into puppy mode as well and they get a burst of energy.

It's taken a while but Sadies is starting to warm up to Kina. We got Kina at 8 weeks.

Kina is actually my first puppy. And what is great, she has catlike qualities too!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
We decided to get a second dog before we even had our first one! :p We knew we wanted two in the end, but decided to put a space between them, so we could bond with the first one and get her trained, before embarking on a second. Zoey was 9 months old when we got Maggie.. Maggie was 8 weeks. (we just got Maggie a week ago :p ) They absolutely love each other. All day long they race around and play with each other.. it's wonerful :) I'm glad we only waited as long as we did, otherwise I'm afraid Zoey wouldn't have been as playful as she is now.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
some who get a puppy for a few months, love him/her so much, they go and get another one
This was me...we got Ripley and he was so much fun, we enjoyed raising him so much, that we thought it would be even more fun to have two puppies that could grow up together, so when Ripley was about 12 weeks old we got Frosty who was 9 weeks old...I wouldn't recommend this to everybody, but it worked out for us.

I got Shiner a year after that and Scarlett a year after that...I can't really say why I have three and four, just that I wanted another dog and they were in the right place at the right time.

·
Registered
267 Posts
well let me see we had alot of dogs growing up, but I'll just list the ones that were my babies.
-Dolly was laso/poodle/mutt mix one of my friends was trying to find a home for, she was the biggest of the litter and had fleas worse than the rest so they couldn't find someone to take her, which led to me begging my mother and then taking her home. She died in a house fire when I was 13.

-Then I adopted Hoshi, she belong to a neighbor down the street. He could no longer keep her because he's wife was pregnant (unplanned) and they couldn't afford a 2nd kid and a large dog. He tried to return her to the breed another neighbor, but once again the begging started and my mom said okay. She passed away from heat stroke one summer, the other dogs knocked over her water bowl :-(

-I got Tanner from the local animal shelter once I was settled living on my own. I missed having a dog and was at a point were I could offored to take one in.

-Once my husband and I moved into a house with a yard we decided to finally get him a boston terrier. Although Buster was kind of an impulse buy, we had been talking about doing it and knew we would one day. Then one friday we took Tanner and my bro's dog to the dog park where there were lots of Bostons. Then on sunday we found Buster and brought him home.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts