Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rosie is now 1.5 years old and I would like to start running with her, but I would like a few opinions from other owners who run with their dogs.

I used to run, but am now quite pathetically out of shape, so I need to get my conditioning back up to where it was in my hey day...

how often do you and your dog run together? daily? weekly?
how far do you run?
how fast?

so far i have been doing about a quarter to a half mile with her daily at a medium pace. so far this has been working, but i wanted a few opinions from experienced runners to make sure i don't overdo it.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
It's the pace at which you run that is the most important. Dogs can trot all day and can cover 100 miles but, if you put them into a full gallop they'll get exhausted pretty quickly.

What you run on is also important...concrete will tear up the feet quickly and is hard on the joints.

As for actual distance, high energy dogs should get 10-15 miles a day, medium energy 5-10 miles a day and low energy dogs 1-5 miles a day but, that all depends on the overall health of the dog...joint problems, etc.

Be sure to adjust the feeding schedule accordingly and bring water with you.

You're on the right track by increasing the exercise level slowly.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I run w/ Toby; I bring Fergus once in a while but he slows us down and limits our distance.

We run about 3 miles 3 times a week and it takes us about 25 min. so we aren't setting any records. Toby is actually the pace setter, he gets a comfortable pace going after about a 1/4 mile and we stay there until the end when I make him sprint the last few hundred meters.

As for the comment about what dogs "should" run. I would only be concerned w/ what a dog shouldn't run, ie what's too much. I don't think you can run a dog too little as millions of dogs don't run at all.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I run about 3-4 miles with my Malinois. About three times weekly when I'm at home. I have to have him on a leash to do so, however.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
For me it kind of depends on the dog

Some I only do a couple miles at a medium pace maybe.

For others it is a full run for a few miles at a time with some slower pace in between and slow walk at the beginning and end.

Others I'm doing 4-6 miles of fairly fast pace but nothing like sprint speed the whole time or anything.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
When I first brought Kaki home, she was emaciated and in terrible shape. I got her up to a good weight and began slowly with no more than a mile jog. Nowadays, she can run for hours at "race pace". She's a beast.:p

Hughbert is a puggle so he's not going to become a great running companion. I've worked him up slowly but I don't plan to do more than two miles a day with him.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
There have actually been a number of threads on this lately...

http://www.dogforums.com/3-dog-training-forum/55315-runnin-my-dog-tips.html

http://www.dogforums.com/19-first-time-dog-owner/54258-runners.html

http://www.dogforums.com/2-general-dog-forum/52805-does-anyone-run-jog.html

Libby and I started running this spring. I used to run in highschool, and used to be able to do just under 4 minute kilometers in a 10k run... but university and the "frosh 15" (which for me was more like the "frosh 40") sort of set me back some.

Libby turned 1.5 years old in the spring, which for her breed meant that her growth plates were closed and we could begin to run! I had also dropped about 15lbs (thank goodness) from the year of owning an active puppy, so I was good to go as well. We started doing very short spurts of a minute or so just to get her used to the idea of running with me (and to condition me as well!)... if she pulled, I stopped running. We worked from there to doing 3km runs at a pretty slow pace (maybe 6 minutes per k) within two weeks. Now we are doing 5k runs 4 to 5 days a week at a steady 5 minutes per k, and also fartleks of 3k (sprint for a minute, jog for 3, repeat).

If we keep doing well, I hope to add another 5k and take the time down some more. Libby can handle it... we have started rollerblading with her as well, and she can go at a pretty good clip for a significant distance/time... I am certainly the limiting factor in this team!

·
Registered
637 Posts
I run on the beach 4 times a week now (yay for moving to beachy area) for about 4 miles a time..so that 16 miles a week (good at maths lol) all my dogs run with me leashless (yay for no leash laws) and all keep up and the gsd and border run ahead, i go as fast as you can on sand

1 - 8 of 8 Posts