Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.akc.org/news/index.cfm?article_id=4633

The AKC/Eukanuba National Championship that is held in December that was previously invitation only will now be opened to all competitors.

Though the top 25 dogs from each breed as well as the bred-by Exhibitor Champions and other special qualifiers will still be celebrated with an invitation granting special recognition.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Well that is certainly interesting, still not sure if I will be going, will have to see, I guess if BB makes it into the top 25 I might.

Westminster is doing about the same thing next year. Opening the show up to non champions, but those non champions have to have at least one major I believe. Also they are moving the day showing to another location, but the night stuff will still be held at the Garden.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought it was really interesting. A lot of people are quite upset reading comments on their facebook.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
AKC has been doing a LOT of revamping lately, to make things more enjoyable as they say. There is now a new owner handler series, where owners who handle can compete away from the pros. It will be a separate competition after the judging of that breed has ended, and will have its own ranking, and own groups. If a dog that gets BOB is owner handled its automatically the owner handler BOB.

The just rearranged their divisions, and new point schedules (which they do every year) will be out in may.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I heard about the owner handler series. SiberiansUSA had a thing on it before they implemented it asking peoples opinions. I don't think that's necessarily a bad idea - but then again I don't show (yet). I was looking at the rankings and stuff the other day for the owner handler series just out of curiosity.

And since I'm a noob - what is the rearranging of divisions with the point schedules? I've seen it mentioned but didn't look into it.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're a wonderful resource, Chaos. I seriously thank you for everything you've directly and indirectly helped me learn :D!

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
You're a wonderful resource, Chaos. I seriously thank you for everything you've directly and indirectly helped me learn :D!
Always happy too, I am an AKC mentor after all.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm going to totally steal you for long distance mentoring :3

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
I'm going to totally steal you for long distance mentoring :3
That is perfectly fine. Xeph would also be a great source, and she is closer.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
<3! I'm going to totally utilize Xeph when I move since I'm going to be extremely close to her! She just doesn't know it yet. I'll also have my breeder that I'm extremely excited to work with.

It made me sad because when I first started looking into this I found a breeder not very far from me presently who I was speaking to who was very highly recommended and then she just stopped talking with me. I'm okay with that though since I found Huskavarna and Siberlink (who's actually out here where I am now).

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
That's great to have help, help is something I didn't have when I first started, It wasn't until I met my mentor and co-breeder that I got help. I owe everything to her. Before I met her I was likely going to quit because no one would help me. I am just glad to pass on my knowledge, even though I have only been showing for 11-12 years.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
As of July 3rd this year, there will now be a Reserve BIS. I am very pleased that they have finally implemented this, as it has been in the works for a few years now.

http://www.bestinshowdaily.com/blog/2012/04/reserve-best-in-show-a-bfd/

I only hope they can eventually agree to revamp the group arrangement, that proposal was shot down recently but I believe is going to be further reviewed.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I really am ridiculously grateful to anyone who has offered me any type of help in regards to conformation and my interest in it. I thank Huskavarna and Siberlink almost once a week for just talking to me, basically. I probably ask a lot of really dumb questions - though I try and look up lots of things that I have questions on just to maybe have a better idea so I understand more and I always look up things that they tell me.

I am thankful that you're willing to pass on your knowledge! Beyond thankful, really.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
I really am ridiculously grateful to anyone who has offered me any type of help in regards to conformation and my interest in it. I thank Huskavarna and Siberlink almost once a week for just talking to me, basically. I probably ask a lot of really dumb questions - though I try and look up lots of things that I have questions on just to maybe have a better idea so I understand more and I always look up things that they tell me.

I am thankful that you're willing to pass on your knowledge! Beyond thankful, really.
Well if you ever have question don't hesitate to ask me, even though I may not know the answer all the times, I probably would know where to find it.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well if you ever have question don't hesitate to ask me, even though I may not know the answer all the times, I probably would know where to find it.
Thank you very much :). Why did they shoot down the group rearrangement? I've heard a bit of talk about it but, again, never touched it. Sometimes it wears me out just trying to look up good, solid information and if I don't find it after awhile I give up :(.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
I am not exactly sure why it was. If it passed, the sporting, working, and hound groups would have been split, and a few breeds rearranged. Sporting into spaniels and retriever, and setters and pointers (Weims would have been in this group. Hound divided into scenthounds and sighthounds. And working into Utility, Molosser, and Spitz (Siberians would have been in this group).

Italian greyhounds would have moved to the sighthound group. Finnish Spitz, Keeshond, Norwegian Lundehund, American Eskimo Dog, Chow Chow, Chinese Shar Pei (don't ask me why), Shiba Inu and Schipperke would have moved from non sporting into the spitz group. Finnish Lapphund and Icelandic Sheepdog, Swedish Vallhund and Norwegian Buhund would also be moved from the herding group into the spitz group. Dalmatian would have been moved from Non sporting to the Utility. Entlebucher from Herding to the Utility.

The other groups would have stayed the same. Some people are calling for other certain breeds to be moved into other groups (i.e standard poodle into the sporting group by the other non sporting people) Poodle people don't want that cause they have the monopoly on the non-sporting group.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think that Poodle situation is a bit silly. I think on paper the whole thing looks okay/would be a good idea. Most of it makes sense to some degree or another (at least in my eyes).

Did/would you have liked to have seen it go through?

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
I think that Poodle situation is a bit silly. I think on paper the whole thing looks okay/would be a good idea. Most of it makes sense to some degree or another (at least in my eyes).

Did/would you have liked to have seen it go through?
Yes for the most part, I think that some of the breed movements are a little silly (i.e shar pei to the spitz group). This would have dropped the non sporting to 14 breeds, which would make it still the smallest group. Right now the Non sporting group has 19 breeds, compared to sporting group's 28. And the way breeds are getting full recognition so quickly now it will only grow. FCI has more groups than we do and I like their arrangements. The UK doesn't have more groups but they do only do certain groups a day (they also have less shows than we do), where as here the next day is a whole nother show.

I don't mind the amount of shows we have a weekend, I do think that too many in one area on one weekend is the cause of lower entries, at least one of the causes. That is why I like May, there are not many shows in my area till later in the month, at which I will be going to the one the last weekend of May. June however is a hell month lol.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It makes me sad where I live now because there aren't many shows that aren't an hour or more often than not two plus hours out in any given direction. And that is just too far for me to drive as a spectator :(.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts