Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
I got three of my current five as puppies.

Two of the three I got as puppies were found in trash dumpsters (in different counties, at different times). The third it was really down to her and her brother. I was looking for a bold, fairly confident puppy with food and play-drive, and she was the one who had it. I did a little evaluating myself, but mostly I listened to her breeder - the person who had known her for 7 weeks and some change.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had a good long talk with my breeder about what I wanted in a dog, what I was going to use the dog for and who I generally is as a person. Breeder picked the pup they thought would be the best match in the long run. They live and spend a lot of time with the pups and mother, and I trust that they can probably make the best choice in the end.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Papillons have very small litters so Mia only had one sibling which was a sister that was undersized and very calm. The breeder didn't even offer her to me because she thought Mia fit much better.

I did get to see Mia's sister in pictures as an adult and she looks like a tiny lighter colored version of Mia. They have the same face and expressions!

·
Registered
46 Posts
When I picked Nike, it was pretty obvious right away she was what I wanted. Her sister was all over the place and the breeder could barely show her to me. Her sister was getting in trouble the whole time we were there. Nike was cautious but curious. She quickly warmed up and was soon cuddling me. I wanted a dog that was more of the velcro type, so she was the obvious choice. I had a long talk with her breeder before hand, but their personalities came out very quickly. I believe the pups were 5 weeks at the time.

·
Registered
693 Posts
faith- I went and my BFF held her and I held her sister ( who was fluffy). I just didnt feel it. I cant describe it. Then i asked to hold Faith and she instantly snuggled into my neck and I just knew.
hope- I walked in, saw the conditions she was living in and didnt question saying yes. ( she was the only puppy)
elvin- I walked up and greeted him and liked his personality (he was the only puppy)
Opie- I walked in and just got him. ( nothing too exciting with him)
Harvey- walked into our yard and no owner came foward.
Charlie- same as faith. I held her brother first and then her and she took to me instantly.

For ME, its just a feeling.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I hadn't contacted the breeder until about a month after the puppies were born, so there were already people on the waiting list and it became a "we'll let you know if there are any left that will suit you". There were only two left-- the two little black tri girls in the litter. The breeder said she thought one of them probably needed to go to a serious performance home, so that left me with the other. I inquired more about simply a companion and the idea of potentially getting into dog sports as well didn't interest me a ton until after I had gotten her. So, I didn't choose. I was actually hoping for the cute black bi of the litter, who had actually been returned to the breeder a couple of days after the "owner" originally picked her up due to his wife not being happy (lol), but the breeder already had a sports friend interested in her and she was planning to come meet her to decide.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
I had a good long talk with my breeder about what I wanted in a dog, what I was going to use the dog for and who I generally is as a person. Breeder picked the pup they thought would be the best match in the long run. They live and spend a lot of time with the pups and mother, and I trust that they can probably make the best choice in the end.
This is pretty much what happened with our younger dog. Our older dog is from the same breeder, but she was a 5 1/2 month "leftover" that the breeder thought would be a good fit for us. The breeder knew what we wanted and the personality of our older dog, so she selected a puppy that she thought would do well in our home. Although I think our older dog would have done very well with more experienced owners, both have worked out well.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
If you choose a puppy from a breeder then I think they kind of make the decision or help with the decision.

We adopted 2 puppies and this is our way of doing things ...

Our last dog (Maggie) was a 2 month old pup and we saw her with her brother and sister in the rescue. Maggie's brother was running around all over the place and her sister was a wall flower. Maggie was middle of the road and we liked that she ventured around a little but wasn't crazy ... she turned out to be a wonderful dog!

Zoey was about 4-5 months old when we adopted her from a shelter and was in a kennel with about 4 or 5 other pups. My wife saw her and apparently she was seeking attention but not as crazy as the others, when I went to look at her (I was thinking about an older pup not one so young) she was sitting in the corner shaking (I guess from all the noise) and I was thinking do I really need a dog that's this nervous. Well she came out of the back into the reception area and she was wagging her tail so hard that her butt was wiggling and whoever she got to be with her tongue was out licking - she won all of us over. She is another great dog and continues to great people like that ... just went to a dog park and she was giving all the other dog owners licks, she really is a very sweet dog.

Anyway, we look for a certain personality in a pup and we have lucked out both times with very calmish puppies that turned out to be great dogs!

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
9 of them I adored one or both of their parents first working with them.. Hearing they were being bred I chose a puppy from the litter that most reminded me of the adult I loved.
3 I chose just from their puppy picture not knowing or meeting their parents.

you never know what a pup will grow up to be.... I personally have to have that deep attraction to them for it not to matter if they end up a hot mess or not.. I will always be deeply attracted to them and find joy in them... no matter whats to come..

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I bred all of my three. Each was first pick from a large litter. Chose for outgoing friendly temperament but not too boisterous, and confirmation. On two, I had another breeder help me.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
My son chose his dog from a litter we were fostering. There were 3 and he chose the runt. I don't know why he chose her, they were only about 2 weeks old at the time but she was the one he wanted. Maybe because she was the smallest and weakest, maybe he felt something else in her. She has always been the ideal dog for him though. They have a very close bond.

Hubby chose Freyja because she was cute. Really she was the puppy left so that was the one he brought home.

Lad's breeder chose him for me. He is the "dud" in a working litter, didn't want to work livestock. He and his sister were the only two left that his breeder felt would not be good LGDs. He is the one his breeder felt would be a good fit.

·
Registered
335 Posts
It was hard for me to get a feel for Sawyer's personality when I met him, so I had to trust the breeder's word. Ultimately I wanted a confident, outgoing, handler focused dog with toy/food drive. Unfortunately some of these things are hard to gauge when they're itty bitty, but the confidence and handler focus were there and the breeder said they were starting to really get interested in their toys. I got to choose between 2 of the males (the other male was more laid back so went to a family that wanted that) and was told that these 2 pups were overall very similar. I ended up choosing Sawyer because he was staying near us and following us around whereas his brother was off exploring the environment (and, aesthetically he was my favorite pup of the litter so that worked out too.... :))

Of course, different people would look for different things depending on what they want in a dog. I was looking for a sport dog so wanted traits that would match those goals. Someone who wants a laid back companion would find Sawyer a nightmare lol and that is not the lifestyle he'd want either, but he fits perfectly for what I want to pursue with him.

·
Registered
5,902 Posts
My last young puppy was almost 10yrs ago; the breeder chose the appropriate one for me.
My next young puppy is coming in the new year; the breeder does the choosing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My first puppy was a lil' Cairn Terrier. There were two male puppies left in the litter. I chose the more energetic and playful of the two. Maybe not the wisest of choices for a Terrier puppy, especially for your first dog. McMurphy was a live wire and was definitely the hardest of any dog I've had to train, but once he matured he ended up being an awesome dog. He had a really happy, easy go lucky personality. He went with the flow of whatever life threw at him. He was so well behaved, you could take him anywhere and he was up for anything you wanted to do.

2nd puppy was another Cairn Terrier. I wanted a lil' girl this time. The litter had 3 males and 1 female, so it was pretty much an automatic selection, but I really did love her personality. Madison was playful, but also was fairly calm and wanted to be in your lap being petted. I fell instantly in love with her and she was by far the easiest puppy I've ever trained, including the 2 Collies. I considered her my soulmate dog.

I still had the Cairns when I decided to get a Smooth Collie puppy. I told the breeder I wanted a middle of the road temperament and energy level. I wanted a dog that wouldn't be completely turning the Cairns' life upside down. She had two male puppies left that fit the bill for me to choose from. Nobody wanted the Sable Merle with the blue eyes. I thought Oz was absolutely gorgeous, but she kept mentioning that he had blue eyes, like that was a deterrent. Hah for me that was a sell point. I chose wisely. His soul was as beautiful as his outwardly appearance. He's as close to Lassie as I'll ever come in a dog I'm sure.

2nd Smooth Collie, I really had my eye on a lil' female from the litter, but the show people had first pick of the litter and she went first. I had a feeling she was special. Gulliver was the last Smooth left in the litter. The breeder said I could wait for her next litter, but based on the planned breeding there wouldn't be any Blue Merles in that litter. I'm drawn to the blues, so I went ahead and chose Gull. Choosing on color, probably not the wisest approach. He again was a harder puppy to train, not Murph level, but harder than I expected from a Collie. In the end, he turned out to be a real sweetheart of a dog and so funny. It was just me and him for 3 years, during an extremely rough patch in my life. His wacky and caring lil' self got me through it. We got extremely close and I still miss him terribly.

Kizzie and Huckle, I picked out at the shelter and they weren't puppies. Both approx 1 year old. My basic criteria for them was friendly, smart, interactive and playful (although Huckle being blue was definitely a factor. Can't resist the blues :)). At this point I figure, as long as I get a dog that's smart and outgoing, I can train for anything else I need to fit into my lifestyle. Kizzie turned out to be one heck of a great dog. I really need to find a dog sport or something for her. All that athletic talent and brains are not being put to their optimal use. Huckle has a more timid temperament and is quirky like Gull (must be a blue thang), so he was way more work than Kizzie initially, but now he's everything I could hope to have in a dog. I don't know that he'd care anything about dog sports, but we've been training him for lil' jobs around the house. He seems happiest when he's working with ya, although he does really love to sleep and eat too. :)

I really think, you get the dog you're suppose to have in life. They may not initially be what you expect or think you want, but end up being what you need and you couldn't imagine life without them in it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
^^^This^^^

I had several phone conversations and multiple emails with our breeder before we ever met face to face. The breeder had listened well, understood our personalities and what we hoped to get in a pup, and chose our pup for us.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
The breeder did the picking for both of my puppies. Most breeders will and I wouldn't go with a breeder who let buyers pick without any input (especially at a young age just from pictures).

My first dog was selected because he had a nice middle of the road temperament (which is what I wanted at the time) and was the best show quality pup in the litter. The breeder hoped I would show him, which I did.

My second puppy was more of a collaboration, because I owned the stud and got the pick of the litter. I also had a much stronger idea of what I wanted since I've gotten more involved in dog sports. Still, the breeder and co-breeder already knew which puppy would be mine when I went out for the 7.5 week official evaluations and they were right. I could have made a different choice after meeting them, but after living with the pups for 7.5 weeks they chose well. She was the craziest and most confident female, always climbing out of the pen or tackling the big male puppies. When we did the conformation evals she was well put together, but not the nicest as far as show quality. Another female also had a stellar temperament, but some structural faults that would prevent her from doing agility. The best show quality female was very independent and not the temperament I wanted for dog sports. So I took the compromise puppy who was the best combination of temperament for what I wanted (high energy, handler oriented and confident), and good structure.

It was fun to help assign Hazel's littermates to their homes. Some puppies were a toss up - they all had nice temperaments (none were fearful or anything) so it didn't much matter which home they went to. But some were more rowdy than others, or more independent, and we took that into consideration. None of the other homes were show homes, but we did consider who we could likely talk into showing and tried to put the puppies with nicer conformation into those homes.

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
Shep is a rescue mutt, but I selected him specifically because of interaction and energy. I wanted a pup that was alert, curious, interested in me rather than everything else, But interested in distractions (such as fetching a ball) then returning to me. Today, 15 years later, I might get a less energetic pup, b/c I'm slower now.

The list isn't really that unusual, I hope it's just a little more descriptive than 'interactive and energetic".

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Skye was the only one of mine that was picked from a litter. I only had 2 choices going in as there were only 2 females and I was only interested in a female. I relied a lot on the foster as she had spent the most time with them and knew their personalities best. Skye had the more bold and outgoing personality, loved to tug, was super social and wasn't afraid of anything. The other girl was slightly more reserved, slightly skittish with sounds. It was an easy choice for me. And the foster agreed and supported my choice fully.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts