Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this recipe where you can make your own without a dehydrator as I know a lot of people don't own one. These are great as they are homemade and most of the ones in the stores are made in China and very unsafe :(
My dogs really love these hopefully some of yours will too!
Enjoy!

Things You’ll Need:
Package of chicken breasts
Cookie sheet

Step1

Clean the chicken breasts, then carefully slice them into long, thin strips. The thinner the strips are, the better.

Step2

Place the strips on a greased or non-stick cookie sheet.

Step3

Bake the strips for around 2 hours at 180 degrees, then flip strips over and bake for another hour at 180 degrees. The result will be the same as if it were done in a dehydrator.

The low temperature will dry the chicken slowly, and you'll have a chewy result that your canine friend will love.

Step4

Let the strips cool, out of your dog's reach. They can be stored in plastic bags or in airtight containers, and can also be frozen for future use.

·
Banned
749 Posts
how many does it usually make? We were using dogswell chicken strips but with two chicken-strip-loving dogs they get pricey :(! I'm trying this tonight :) Thanks!
How many does it make?. It really all depends on how much chicken you cut up. If you cut one pound of chicken and it comes out to 25 strips then you would have 25 pieces. If you cut the one pound of chicken into 50 strips then you would have 50 strips.

So what it really comes down to is how many can you make.

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
I've done this with chicken, beef, liver, hot dogs... And I have a little portable meat slicer so I freeze the meatflat on a tray first. Then I slice it frozen on the machine. I can adjust the thickness so I make them very thin. And then follow the directions above. Yum!!!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've done this with chicken, beef, liver, hot dogs... And I have a little portable meat slicer so I freeze the meatflat on a tray first. Then I slice it frozen on the machine. I can adjust the thickness so I make them very thin. And then follow the directions above. Yum!!!
That's awesome! I didn't know you could do this with beef or liver...makes sense though...do you cook them for shorter or longer periods of time depending on what meat you use?

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
I just keep an eye on things, do it when I am in the kitchen for other tasks. They can get "over crisp" if you leave them too long. My dogs and our training facility prefer chewy treats vs crisp ones that leave crumbs.

Thinner meat usually takes less time (depends on how much liquid is in the meat to start with), thicker takes longer... And you may want to turn them over about half way thru.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
wont the electricity/gas bil be a bit tad pricy??
Maybe if you did it too often......but still cheaper than paying $20 for a pound of (possibly contaminated) chicken jerky strips form the pet store.

OK, I looked up ovens, and evidently a normal electric oven uses about 2500-3500 watts. If you pay 10¢ a kilowatt-hour, it would cost about 25¢-35¢ an hour to use your oven. So 3 hours would be about 75¢-$1.05. Not too bad.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I decided to give this a try yesterday and made some chicken strips. I decided to use Dogswell's idea and try to make them breath-freshening so I sprinkled a little parsley and mint on them. They made the house smell minty and nice while they were cooking. I guess the only dumb thing I did was instead of just greasing the pan I used waxed paper. Mostly the treats came out fine, but for a few of them the waxed paper got stuck and so some of the jerky pieces had to be thrown out because they had waxed paper embedded in them. Next time I'll read the directions more carefully. Max did seem to enjoy the ones that passed inspection though. Thanks for sharing this idea!

·
Registered
976 Posts
I made these last night and they were a big hit, and they smell so good! I did cook the chicken a little too long so it was more crunchy than chewy, and I made sweet potatoes also, which took longer to cook than the chicken. Definetly healthier and cheaper than buying!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts