Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which of you start allowing a dog free roam after a period of time?

We attempted to leave Bridgette out of the crate two years ago and she did great for about two weeks. Then she started chewing everything. We didn't leave things out for her to get to, she just went out of her way to find anything she could get her teeth on. We also thought it might be linked to thunder storm anxiety as this was right around monsoon season here.

So she's come a LONG way in two years and I was thinking it was time to start leaving her uncrated for short periods of time.

I don't think I feel safe leaving her out of the crate on the two days we both work full day shifts. But when we run errands and such (when she's not with us) I think I'm going to start leaving her out. She doesn't chew anything now and I can't see her getting into anything.

We went to dinner tonight and were gone about an hour and a half and we left her out. It appears she slept on the sofa the whole time :D

So I guess I am just looking for opinions? I really feel more comfortable with dogs being crated for their safety, but for short periods I really don't see her even being interested in chewing anything...

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
We leave Dakota out of her crate all the time now. Once she got older and was no longer in danger of having accidents or getting into puppy mischief she slowly gained access to the house as we were away. We started with only one or two rooms of freedom and just increased the room available as trust was built. Haven't had any problems since.

I don't see any problems with leaving dogs out provided the environment is free from anything dangerous and they can be trusted not to tear your house apart ;)

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I feel it depends a lot on the individual dog. Some do well quite early, and others may never earn freedom of the house.

I have four: Maddy was 6 mo. old when she earned freedom of the house, although her crate is STILL up, and she's 8 yrs. old! She goes in, or not, of her own volition. Beau is nearly 8 yrs. old, and has earned freedom of the house, but it took a few years because of safety issues. He still uses his crate when I'm gone, but the gate is open. Luc, being so much smaller (Shih Tzu - the other 3 are Standard Poodles), I crate when I'm gone for more than an hour. Lucia, still a puppy, is crated for her safety as well.

·
Registered
301 Posts
once they stop chewing and going on the floor they get the privilage to roam.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I don't remember the ages of our four when we started to leave them free to roam, but it was very young. Like Dakota Spirit said, as soon as they were potty trained and showed that they could behave, we gave them increasing access. Now the whole house and yard are open to them.

I think you're going about it the right way... starting with short periods and increasing freedoms. Most of the time, a dog that is well-exercised should be fine on their own.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I would let Cerb roam when we're gone, but I have a special needs cat that is ok most of the time, but sometimes she's terrified of the dogs. And she won't run, she'll freeze. I just hate the idea that she could be frozen in place for 4-6 hours. I would trust him in the house, he's not a chewer.

The doxies, I dont' know that they'll ever get free roam. I've let Max stay in the bedroom with Cerbie a few times, but never all day bc of the size differences.

Brigit will probably never get free roam. There, I said it. I thoght that one day she might, but I have serious doubts. She can find things that no other dogs can find. We were at my aunts house, and she came from the kitchen with a piece of an old floor tile in her mouth. They'd retiled 5 years ago! And they're the cleanest ppl I know, and we could not figure out how she found it. It was crazy. And I know my house isn't as tidy as theirs, so she'd find something to eat.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I think we're going to start seeing how she does. She definitely doesn't have accidents in the house and she doesn't chew anything either.

Although she was never a big chewer until we started to leave her alone out of a crate before...I think she was still too "young" in her training back then...plus the thunder storm anxiety probably didn't help.

It's sad because the reason I think she'd do well now is because she seems to have mellowed out SO much. We just had my SO's parents spend the day here and they thought Bridgette seemed so much older because she was so mellow...I didn't want to say it! :(

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
It's sad because the reason I think she'd do well now is because she seems to have mellowed out SO much. We just had my SO's parents spend the day here and they thought Bridgette seemed so much older because she was so mellow...I didn't want to say it! :(
Aw, I know what you mean. I'm currently going though the same situation with Dakota who recently turned 9 in May. I just look on the bright side and think about how nice it is not to have a constantly crazy Terrier anymore lol :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Kim's two and has been allowed out for a year now. She knows and abides by the "rules of the house"...as long as she as approved items to chew and play with she leaves our stuff alone.

Webster has so many deeply engrained bad habits that he is not allowed out when we are gone unless it's for a short time and the area he is in is perfectly clean. He counter surfs beyond all reason...the last time I left him out the counter was clean but I left my backpack on the kitchen table...he must have climbed onto a chair (or even the table) to reach it but he managed pulled the bag off, unzipped it, took out all the toys to reach the bottom where the empty treat bait bag was and destroyed the treat bag in pursuit of crumbs. Everything else was undamaged...merely strewn about the house.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Aw, I know what you mean. I'm currently going though the same situation with Dakota who recently turned 9 in May. I just look on the bright side and think about how nice it is not to have a constantly crazy Terrier anymore lol :rolleyes:
Man, Bridgette is (roughly anyway) only 5. She definitely seems older sometimes...but I must agree that it is nice to have her calm down in some situations! She has come SO far!

We just got back from the movies (been gone around 3 hours) and I left her out of her crate. It looks like she slept on the couch, played with a toy and slept in her crate. What a good girl.

She also really likes to go to bed! It's about 12:30am right now and she was more interested in getting let straight into the bedroom than saying hello to us. I swear she just looked at me and "said" "Um, do you guys realize what time it is? I should have been in bed AGES ago!"

I love dogs!

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Lol, I love dogs that know their own bedtime. Dakota sleeps in my room at night if I don't go turn in on time she does so without me. I also had a cat once that would meow if I stayed up too late and continued meowing until I came to my senses and went to bed with her. Animals are indeed a joy...and sometimes better at deciding what's good for us lol.

Glad everything is working out so well with Bridgette! I do love the fact that Dakota is crate trained and doesn't mind even going in there on her own - but it's also nice to know she can be trusted in the house. Just that extra piece of mind, I guess.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lol, I love dogs that know their own bedtime. Dakota sleeps in my room at night if I don't go turn in on time she does so without me. I also had a cat once that would meow if I stayed up too late and continued meowing until I came to my senses and went to bed with her. Animals are indeed a joy...and sometimes better at deciding what's good for us lol.
Yeah Bridgette does that too. By the time it hits 9:30 she's gone and curled up asleep. She's so funny.

I do love the fact that Dakota is crate trained and doesn't mind even going in there on her own - but it's also nice to know she can be trusted in the house. Just that extra piece of mind, I guess.
Yeah it's nice to be able to use the crate when necessary. Bridgette sleeps in hers all the time and enjoys being in there. But it definitely is nice to start leaving her out of it sometimes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts