Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...how long is your dog in his or her crate each day?

I have a 9 week old puppy, that I've only had a week and my goal is that hopefully by the time she is a year old I will be able to let her have free access to the house. However, right now she is in her crate for about 3 hours during the day, then I come home for lunch, then shes in her crate for another 4 hours. The at night (around 11pm) she goes back in her crate for bedtime. Of course I let her out to pee during the night, but Im wondering, is she spending too much time in her crate?

Shes doing fairly well with the crate training I think, although last night she threw a couple temper tantrums lol

·
Registered
246 Posts
Actually for a 9-week old puppy that's a lot of "out of crate" time. Nothing wrong with it, but puppies usually sleep two hours, eat, poop then play for 30-45 minutes. Then they're bushed and need to sleep again.

Sounds like you've got him on a pretty good schedule. At some point (4-6 months?) you could leave his crate door open and close off the room (don't give him full run of the house on the first go). But make sure you puppy-proof the room first.

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
Full access comes gradually and needs to be earned. When the time comes you can gate off the room that her crate is currently in. See if she can manage that first. Then give her access to the hallway, then another room, eventually the whole house...maybe. I have one dog that will never be left uncrated when no one is home. She's just too playful and can be destructive after about the first hour.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dog Tracks - it's a replief to know she's not spending to much time in her crate! My goal is to raise and a healthy AND happy puppy :)

briteday - I totally agree that they have to earn to free access. Kira has her crate to sleep in, but she is restricted to just the kitchen and living room. This is the area where we are the most, and it gives our cat free access and relief to the rest of the house. Although one day I want her to have free access, I think we'll also have a baby gate blocking upstairs as there is carpet up there and it keeps the cat happy and safe.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Our pup spends the night in his crate(unlocked). During the day while we're gone he stays blocked off in a puppy proof room with access to his crate. We're only gone about 3 hours a day between us on Monday-Wednesdays-Fridays because of school, and on the other days while we're working (we hardly ever work the same schedule) he stays in his room if one of us isn't home for a long period, but it doesn't happen often.

So, sleep about 6-8 hours a night and a few hours a day, so not very much really, and the crate is unlocked for the most part. We just started keeping his crate unlocked though, but he's getting at that age where he's getting more and more freedom. We've tried getting him to sleep out of his crate too, but he's so used to sleeping in there he prefers it. He doesn't wake anyone up during the night to pee anymore, just every morning at 7:30 on the dot! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts