Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two dogs, one is young, extremely energetic and a total handful. I tend to use a lot of energy and time on him because he needs it more, while the other is older (he's actually aging prematurely), more well behaved and calmer, so he doesn't require as much time and attention.

Linkin (the younger) and Coal (the older) both really enjoy walks, play time, etc. so for the majority of the time I take them both with me. However, I've noticed that by the end of our long walks Coal isn't fairing as well as he use to (he has joint problems) and Linkin is still ready to go with energy to spare. So I started biking with just Linkin, as well as the long walk with the both of them (just cutting it to be a little shorter, for Coal).

I also bring my dogs into town on occasion, for distraction work and socialization. I can't bring two at the same time though, as we have a rediculous amount of ignorent young kids who will pester any dog given the chance, as well as a rediculous amount of wandering dogs who tend to pick fights easily (much like their owners). The dog problem IS getting better, but not quite to the point where I'd feel comfortable bringing both my dogs into town at the same time. They outweigh me put together and I have only so many hands, ears and eyes to watch out for trouble or stop trouble if it happens.

I know this is the responsible thing to do, but every time I take one dog somewhere without the other I feel EXTREMELY guilty about it. Linkin tends to cry and pace around the house (thus, driving my family crazy) and Coal tends to grumble, groan and give the occasional high pitched bark that also drives my family crazy.

Am I being rediculous? For those of you with multiple dogs in a household, do you bring them out individually (for whatever reason), and what do you do with the one(s) left behind? What can I do to keep myself from feeling less guilty about leaving one behind, and also to keep that one occupied or whatever so they stop making such a big deal about being left behind.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I do have multiple dogs and take them out one on one. What I do when I leave the others behind is leave them their favorite toy. Sounds weird but this is the only time I leave it for them. My golden gets a compressed rawhide and my English Bulldog gets her stuffed Chicken. They seem to look forward to it and get excited when I bring them out. I pick them up as soon as I get home so they can miss it until next time. Good luck. S

·
Registered
637 Posts
I leave others behind a lot too.

Right now, my mail focus is on Kaylee - she needs the most exercise, the most bonding time, the most socialization. So she's the one that comes with me almost everywhere.

Granted, if I ever go pick up fast food, I bring the corgi because she's cute enough that I usually get a free order of french fries with her riding shotgun... ;)

Ronin is the oldest, and while he still needs exercise... he's more content to go to the club with me a couple times a week and train. He doesn't seem to need the time out that Kaylee needs.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
I take my dogs out one at a time as well. When I take one, the other tends to get stressed so whoever stays home will usually do something with the other dog. Like if I take Uallis somewhere, then the boyfriend will take Eddie out and play "soccer" with him or something. If I take Eddie, then my boyfriend will spend time with Uallis. We had to start trying to make it interesting for the dog left at home because they would start howling, scratching at the door, etc.

If my boyfriend and I BOTH go somewhere with one dog, then the other is crated with a Nylabone or a stuffed Kong. They probably whine and moan while we're gone but we can't really do anything else about it in that circumstance; they just have to adjust to it.

It reminds me of one time when my boyfriend and I took Uallis with us on a really quick errand to the gas station...haha When we came back, all we could hear was Eddie's loud..."ARRRRROOOOOOOOO" when we were pulling in our driveway. He sounded like he lost his mind...haha :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Sometimes I'll leave one or 2 behind, and other times I take them all together. I just try not to let the whining get to me, they do get over it. And when I get back, it's like I was never gone to them, we play all the time.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I take one dog and leave the other quite often, because it's easier to give each one individual attention than to have to focus on both at once. I don't feel guilty about it, and neither one shows signs of anxiety from being left behind. Maybe because they know I don't stress about it, and that they'll get their time.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I rarely take all 3 dogs out in public at once. Usually it's just the 2 smaller dogs because they like it more than Shadow. I do feel guilty too. So I usually pick up a special treat for Shadow, or I'll give her one before we leave so she can have something good while I'm gone.
There are times when I just take one dog. The two at home sort look disappointed and look for their leash, but when crate time comes, they're ok.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Carsten gets to come with me to training a few days a week and tends to get a lot more exercise one on one also. It is just the way it is with a younger dog. Oliver cannot walk as far because of his bad leg. I feel bad for him because he really loves to run and play as well but I just cannot let him. So yes, I am a wimp and I feel sad leaving one of my dogs home. This is why 3 dogs is the right number for me. That way I can take one and leave 2 behind. Nobody is lonely that way. It also gives me a good excuse to get another dog as soon as I can afford it. ;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would give the one that is being left a treat when you leave, it will give them something to look forward to.
I had three dogs and One dog cannot walk as far as the other, so I take her out when I want to go on short walks, the othes got to go on longer walks. They always barked at me when I took just one. Now that I am down to two dogs, I have not had the oppurtunity to test their reaction yet. Good luck.

I have two dogs, one is young, extremely energetic and a total handful. I tend to use a lot of energy and time on him because he needs it more, while the other is older (he's actually aging prematurely), more well behaved and calmer, so he doesn't require as much time and attention.

Linkin (the younger) and Coal (the older) both really enjoy walks, play time, etc. so for the majority of the time I take them both with me. However, I've noticed that by the end of our long walks Coal isn't fairing as well as he use to (he has joint problems) and Linkin is still ready to go with energy to spare. So I started biking with just Linkin, as well as the long walk with the both of them (just cutting it to be a little shorter, for Coal).

I also bring my dogs into town on occasion, for distraction work and socialization. I can't bring two at the same time though, as we have a rediculous amount of ignorent young kids who will pester any dog given the chance, as well as a rediculous amount of wandering dogs who tend to pick fights easily (much like their owners). The dog problem IS getting better, but not quite to the point where I'd feel comfortable bringing both my dogs into town at the same time. They outweigh me put together and I have only so many hands, ears and eyes to watch out for trouble or stop trouble if it happens.

I know this is the responsible thing to do, but every time I take one dog somewhere without the other I feel EXTREMELY guilty about it. Linkin tends to cry and pace around the house (thus, driving my family crazy) and Coal tends to grumble, groan and give the occasional high pitched bark that also drives my family crazy.

Am I being rediculous? For those of you with multiple dogs in a household, do you bring them out individually (for whatever reason), and what do you do with the one(s) left behind? What can I do to keep myself from feeling less guilty about leaving one behind, and also to keep that one occupied or whatever so they stop making such a big deal about being left behind.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I leave one of mine behind. If I go running, I take Charlee. If I go to the beach for a walk, I take trout. If I go to the dog park, I take Charlee. If I go downtown for a stroll, I take trout. If I go to a horse show, I take trout.

Its all about what they like best. Trout is really chill and would prefer to hang out in the air conditioning, and isnt about to run with me.
Charleee is really outgoing, smart, and energetic. So in a doggy social situation, I take her (also because trout humps everything at the dog park).

It works out, and there are plenty of times I take them both.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
At my house someone almost always stays home. It's for the good of the whole. That's how I see it. They all get turns to do something special. When I run errands. I make it a point to take the dog that hasn't been anywhere with me lately. I don't think B'asia has been left completely alone, but it's just by chance. They don't misbehave when left behind, but sometimes I give them a frozen Kong or something to keep them occupied.

·
Registered
546 Posts
hat way I can take one and leave 2 behind. Nobody is lonely that way. It also gives me a good excuse to get another dog as soon as I can afford it. ;)
Haha, I love the way you think. Going by that, now that I think Bentley and I are ready for a new friend, I should actually get two, not one...hmm...:D

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Before Xena, we always take the two boys together everywhere we're allowed to take them. Now, the three gets to have a chance to go by themselves and the other two are fine being left behind. Just like what Inga said. :D

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels guilty about leaving one behind! Unfortunately, I can't get another dog right now, so I suppose a stuffed Kong or something like that will have to suffice :p

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have two, and also feel guilty leaving one behind. But I do anyway. I usually alternate which dog gets to come with me. If I'm just going to the school bus stop, I sometimes bring both.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
I often take one and not the other, I don't want them to think that they always need to be together. Actually it really bugs me when owners don't teach their dogs how to be independent of each other. When I take on out, sometimes the other gets a stuff kong or food in the bob a lot, or just a little treat and sometimes they get nothing. They are used to being left behind, they may wine for a second but normally just go lay down.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Once you get above two dogs, my experience is that it's just not practical to bring everyone all the time. ALthough Kaylee is with me most of the time, I tend to bring just one other dog, and I rotate. If I'm going to some place low stress or going o be with someone who I trust to notice if I start having problems, I may leave Kaylee at home and just take Lizzie (or current probably-staying foster. :p)

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I often take one and not the other, I don't want them to think that they always need to be together. Actually it really bugs me when owners don't teach their dogs how to be independent of each other. When I take on out, sometimes the other gets a stuff kong or food in the bob a lot, or just a little treat and sometimes they get nothing. They are used to being left behind, they may wine for a second but normally just go lay down.
That's good advice about letting them get used to being by themselves. I think more owners should think of it as training instead of feeling sorry for the other dog. In the end it is mentally healthier for them to be a little independent.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts