For ID Purposes . Microchip or Tattoo ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For ID purposes , ear tattoo or microchip ?

Just curious on your opinions . Red's due to be de-manned in April and the vet was asking if I wanted him ID'd and recommended the ear tattoo .

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the helpful link . The reason my vet recommended the tattoo was that she said a lot of shelters dont have and cant afford multi read scanners for all mfger's chips . It actually made sense but wanted to hear some opinions from all who have some experience .

Thanks !

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
I would never recommend an ear tattoo to anyone since ears can be so easily removed. Mine are tattooed on the inner thigh.

I didn't vote in the poll. I pick both tat/chip and DNA profile as well. So some have multi permanent ID.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I voted for all 3, actually.

My dog came with an ear tattoo from the breeder, and we had her microchipped at the time of her spay. She is also has her tags - registered with the city, a tag stating she is chipped, her rabies tag (which traces her to our vet), and a fourth tag with our phone number.

I think of it this way - I want my dog home the easiest way possible, so I want to cover every step in the ladder. These are the steps I take when I find a dog:

If she is lost and found by someone on the street, they will first check for a tag. If the tag has my phone number, they can whip out their cell and call me. Failing that, they can go to my house.

Next, they can call my vet or the city to find out where she came from.

Next they can go to any vet and have her chip scanned, as they would know from her chip tag that she has one.

If they find the ear tat, the vet could trace her that way.

Finally, assuming my dog loses its collar, there is still the ear tat and the microchip... and if her ear is lopped off, there is still the chip!

·
Registered
610 Posts
I voted microchip. No one ever suggest the tattoo to us.....actually, I didn't even know about it till reading here.....Willie is microchiped

·
Registered
818 Posts
My 3 are microchipped, so they have that tag with it's phone number. They are also licensed with the county (a phone number is on the tag that can be traced to us). They have their rabies tags (vet's phone number) and a special id tag that is linked to an id-tag database (other than the microchip tag). I pay 6.00 a year for this service. And each of them have a tag with their name/our phone number on it. Stella also wears her therapy dog tag with a phone number on it that can be traced back to us. I hope that if one of them gets lost that one of these methods will help get them returned to us! Sounds like overkill, I know, but I want to cover as many bases as I can!

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Microchips are not visible and that makes them difficult to detect and not likely to be removed.
Ear tatoos were started by the Marquis De Sade. There is much more pain involved and in this day and age ear cutting or just tatooing over numbers would not be unheard of. microchip is much more humane.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Ear tatoos were started by the Marquis De Sade. There is much more pain involved and in this day and age ear cutting or just tatooing over numbers would not be unheard of. microchip is much more humane.
I think that's the direction I was going but you got there and said it better than I... thanks. :D

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
I'd opt for a microchip to ID a pet. Easy, simple, effective and many people know to look for a microchip - esp shelters or vets, who may encounter a lost/stray dog. There's also as standardization to microchips, where as with tattoo's many folks wouldn't 1) know to look for one or 2) know where to go to reference the tattoo/owner info.

All racing greyhounds are tattoo'd in their ear at the age of three months. Something I've seen done first hand to an entire litter...no big deal. A few seconds of pain and then the pups start running and playing the second you put them down. I've heard a puppy scream more from a vaccination. More pain than getting a microchip, definitely. But it's really not a big deal. Tattoo's in a racing greyhound have a very specific purpose (to ID the dog before a race), so tattoo'ing over is a non issue, really. If someone was stealing a pet dog - esp an altered pet - I can not fathom why they would cut the ears off. It would fairly obvious to anyone the the ears were lopped off, which would bring lots of attention and questions.

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
iorek is tattooed on the inside of his leg. i want a microchip too. we will get one done one day when there is not so many other things going on! iorek also wears his city tags and our tag. he had a rabies tag which can be traced too but he lost that somewhere along the way.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Akira was tattoed on the inner thigh by the breeder. When we arrived in France we got him micochipped because it will be mandatory in the EU by 2011 and well they do not have access to CKC records (Akira's Tattoo number in France is registered to a Boxer!).

Anyways I think ALL dogs should be ID either by tattoo or microchip or both. It's safer for everyone !

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
In the past I had all my GSD's tattooed on the inside of their thighs. 2 of the rescues I have now are microchipped.

Now as for the tattoos; One of my rescues has an ear tattoo. Since he's obviously a pure bred GSD I did try to track down the owners. Nobody I contacted could help me locate where the tattoo came from. All but one of the vets I called said they "don't do that" meaning they don't keep records of tattoos blah blah blah. The one vet who did keep records could only help me locate the owners if I knew their name. :confused: WTH? In the end I came to the conclusion that the tattoos where worse than worthless. They inflicted pain on the dog AND you had to pay for it. For what????

Now as for the chips; after reading a recent thread about how you have to have a particular type of scanner to read a particular type of chip I wonder about those too. So how many shelters/vets do you think has a scanner to read all the different chips? They may scan a found dog and if it has a chip not recognized by their scanner they'll probably assume there is no chip. Also, one of mine that has a chip it is not registered to me. He is an adopted/returned, adopted/returned again adopted by me. His chip was implanted with a previous owner when initially adopted/neutered, etc. Well, the shelter has confidentiality rules so they cannot release the name of the previous owner. Ok, no problem. Understandable. However, the company the chip is registered with will not allow me to change the info to my name without providing the name of the previous owner. Of course neither agency will communicate to the other to clear this up.

Sooooo, for me it's a high, escape proof wall around my yard and a secure leash when outside of the wall along with tags.

Jihad
and the pound puppy crew.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have a Q about chipping

lol... does it hurt the animal? do they need to be under anesthesia or a local shot to numb the injection site?
and finally, how much (ballpark) does it run to get them microchipped?

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
In our area, the Vet hospital tattoos all dogs when they are spayed or neutered. As it is visible it helps to get dogs home. My niece found a little Shih Tzu lying alongside the road just as a coyote was going to make breakfast out of her. She brought her home, looked at the tattoo and phoned up the Vet and was able to contact the owners right away. Apparently this was not the first time the dog had wandered off and she was at least five miles from home when my niece found her. I know when we bred Greyhounds, they were tattooed in both ears for the racing and in the flank for the CKC. It never seemed to bother them for more than a few seconds, just while it was being done.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Well with the GSP bird dog futurity AKC required a tatoo and it was not going to help anybody return a dog to you but if somebody found your dog you couls prove dog was yours by the tatoo number. Back in the dinosaur days the tool was similar to a pair of pliers with 2 plates that the numbers were slid into the jaw area. ink poured onto the needled numbers and then ear was put between and you clamped the pliers on dogs ear. There was an art to it as if you clamped too hard it went all the way through ear. Not hard enough and the tatoo did not take. As lovemygreys said it's not a big deal but it does take a few ears done to get some experience. They may have a totally different method now.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts