Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For fun only, not saying people should or shouldn't breed dogs. But for fun, what mixes do you think would complement each other to make a new breed of dog or to make an existing breed healthier/better structurally/better temperament/whatever? No one is actually breeding dogs, this is just for fun. So if you were creating a new breed or bettering the health and/or temperament of an existing breed, what breeds would you use?

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I would mix multiple Cavaliers with Papillons, American Cockers, and Tibetan Spaniels. Poodles and Japanese Spaniels (Chins) also contributed to the stock behind the original Toy Spaniels so that might be another option.

Of course my plan would be meant to cross all these back into the Cavalier gene pool . . . but we need some pesky abhorant genes IDd before that will happen with any amount of safely.

I would bet the F1 mixes would be wonderful dogs. I happen to like the Cocker/Cavalier and Poodle or Bichon/Cavalier mixes I've met, often better than individuals within either parent breeds.

Right now Cavaliers and Cockers are being crossed with Golden Retrievers and I believe that truly would be a nice mid-size cross if health testing and care were undertaken.

SOB

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
if i could guarantee the outcome, id mix a lab with some sort of spaniel to get a 40-50 lb water dog/retriever. I love the tollers but their health issues scare me.

For fun? poodle and pug.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Giant papillon for sure. What would I cross? Not sure but I've dreamed of something papillon-like in a 30 lb suit for a while.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Giant papillon for sure. What would I cross? Not sure but I've dreamed of something papillon-like in a 30 lb suit for a while.
That would be awesome. A papillon/rat terrier would be pretty appealing to me.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Not an original idea, but I remember someone posting about wanting a cardigan/border collie/ boxer mix and calling it a Cardboard box.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Not an original idea, but I remember someone posting about wanting a cardigan/border collie/ boxer mix and calling it a Cardboard box.
I don't know why, but I found that extremely funny lol. Lucky no one was home to see me laugh at it. I would have hate to explain that one.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Kooikerhondje, maybe? They pretty much just need the upright ears and the papillon intelligence. They're not quite big enough, though. I could see a border collie/pap mix, too; they look similar enough to each other that it could work. Maybe get some welsh springer spaniel in there as well?

I like SOB's whole post.

·
Registered
591 Posts
A shihtzu and a jackrussle would be a [email protected]%
A bulldog and a shihtxu would be a [email protected]#
Years ago my daughter had a golden retriever and I had my border colliles. She was housesitting for me once and we ended up with a oops litter of border collie/golden retriver we called them border retrievers, then you would have a dog that could herd the ducks then retrieve them too !! My daughter has my odd sense of humor, I am not sure whether to be very proud or very afraid !!

·
Registered
173 Posts
I want a Standard Poodle X Australian Shepard. I have heard of these called the 'Einstein of Dogs'. I just want to know what it would be like to have a super smart dog. I already have a quite smart dog Whippet X Kelpie, and she's pretty fun to have around.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
for fun? Irish wolfhound and a chihuahua
That would certainly be interesting, though I don't see how it could happen without some human assistance!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm just having a hard time picturing those faces on thirty pound dogs. Those would be some huge ears :)

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would mix multiple Cavaliers with Papillons, American Cockers, and Tibetan Spaniels. Poodles and Japanese Spaniels (Chins) also contributed to the stock behind the original Toy Spaniels so that might be another option.

Of course my plan would be meant to cross all these back into the Cavalier gene pool . . . but we need some pesky abhorant genes IDd before that will happen with any amount of safely.

I would bet the F1 mixes would be wonderful dogs. I happen to like the Cocker/Cavalier and Poodle or Bichon/Cavalier mixes I've met, often better than individuals within either parent breeds.

Right now Cavaliers and Cockers are being crossed with Golden Retrievers and I believe that truly would be a nice mid-size cross if health testing and care were undertaken.

SOB

This is more what I intended with my questions though the key to this thread is have fun. Very well thought-out reply. It *sounds* to me that Cavaliers have some particularly bad health issues, from reading on this forum and elsewhere. I'm more a big dog person so I don't know much about the toy breeds and their afflictions, other than elbow dysplasia which my Chihuahua has (she skips every so often when she walks and runs).

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A Chow and a Shihtzu ...
probably not a good idea..
That one I just can't even fathom-say it got an equal share of qualities from both parent's, what in the world would it look like!? :)

1 - 20 of 71 Posts