Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just for fun!

When Soro's time is up, we likely won't be looking for another dog at all. But if we do, I'm gonna let my partner pick. Likely it will be a medium sized mutt that is very social, with low-moderate drives. Companion through and through, outdoor buddy without the intensity I want out of Brae, and dog friend :)

But I think a lot about my search that led me to Dutchies, my love of pitties and rotties, and my journey with Brae so far. I can certainly see why people fall in love with the breed. I am just so thrilled with Brae and the only thing that is a lot to handle is his size on top of all of that energy and strength. It's not overwhelming, but I just feel bad that I can't match his ability and give him more a fight when we play tug. Still, not a complaint - more of him to love! I can see myself going back to DS. I really, really love the bite drive, handler focus, never-quit attitude, and intensity. And just the general stability and nerves in what my breeder produces. However, I'm sure there are other dogs and breeds that I would love too.

Any thoughts? I still think I'd also love the right APBT from the right lines.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Maybe the right Malinois? I've seen some on the smaller and leaner size. The right breeder might get you away from some of the reactive weirdness. I dunno.

Beaucerons, Australian Cattle Dogs, Dobermans, working line GSDs? Just trying to think of similar qualities to the Rotties, Dutchies and Pitties you like.

That's assuming you meant just what you would still want and not the laid back dog your partner would enjoy.. haha.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I'd like a nice GSD too. I LOVE the breeder Equinox got Trash from. But sooooo much cooooooaaat!
I also think I'd really like ACDs. They seem to be the closest equivalent to DS and Mal in a much smaller package. Though they weren't really bred to bite/hold like DS or even pitties. I really like some types and not others with ACD, in terms of looks. Something about the general stockiness and the merle doesn't appeal to me.

·
Registered
17,913 Posts
ACDs were my first thought. There is a reason that Kiran and Brae remind me of each other and it's not the "BC' in Kiran, it's consistently the more recognizable ACD influence.

That said, some I think are attractive some... really not. I like a leggier, thinner dog and roan can be okay but sometimes I don't love it.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Some ACDs do have some bite to them I believe. I think the user (Johnny Bandit, was it?) who used to be on here did some bite stuff or protection work with his.

I have a wonderful ACD in one of my agility classes. He is not overly gangly, or stocky. Very athletic, just the right size for ACD, beautiful head. So much drive, confident, a little hard headed (the way I like it) but non-reactive and good handler focus. I want one just like him. I keep telling myself I'm waiting for that Aussie puppy first.. D:

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ACDs were my first thought. There is a reason that Kiran and Brae remind me of each other and it's not the "BC' in Kiran, it's consistently the more recognizable ACD influence.

That said, some I think are attractive some... really not. I like a leggier, thinner dog and roan can be okay but sometimes I don't love it.
OK here's the plan... Next dog you get a Mal and I get an ACD, and our destinies will be complete :D

Some ACDs do have some bite to them I believe. I think the user (Johnny Bandit, was it?) who used to be on here did some bite stuff or protection work with his.

I have a wonderful ACD in one of my agility classes. He is not overly gangly, or stocky. Very athletic, just the right size for ACD, beautiful head. So much drive, confident, a little hard headed (the way I like it) but non-reactive and good handler focus. I want one just like him. I keep telling myself I'm waiting for that Aussie puppy first.. D:
That dog sounds amazing!!! And yeah, some ACD have really amazed me with how balanced they are. The ones that really catch my eye are few and far between though.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
A working line Border Collie? They aren't good for bite work, but just about anything else you can think of they excel at.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ehhh, the "weirdness" and softness of BCs aren't for me. I like super hard headed dogs :D And I know there are many BC types, but generally speaking they are a pretty light breed. Aesthetically I prefer something a little more robust. I even prefer kelpies over BCs

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Ehhh, the "weirdness" and softness of BCs aren't for me. I like super hard headed dogs :D And I know there are many BC types, but generally speaking they are a pretty light breed. Aesthetically I prefer something a little more robust. I even prefer kelpies over BCs
They are overall pretty squirrelly but lately I've met a lot of working BCs at herding and they are mostly saner than the ones you meet on the street. That isn't meant to sell one to you. I understand where you're coming from. They aren't the breed for me, either. I mentioned them because of the sports, etc.

·
Registered
17,913 Posts
Find me a mal that matures under 50lbs and I'll make you a deal.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The litter before Brae's is now 2 years old. And in that litter there is a 45# female and a 49# female. Just stating facts.

:D

·
Registered
17,913 Posts
The litter before Brae's is now 2 years old. And in that litter there is a 45# female and a 49# female. Just stating facts.

:D
That I would be game for. Probably.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Out of your size range a bit but a Dogo Argentino working line female your looking at 75 to 80lbs.
They are very high energy but they do adjust to there home, agility there great, bite work they can do, though there mouth is design more for catch and hold.
There also a very family friendly dog.

Problem I do see is most people don't realize just how strong for there size they are, or just how quick they are. There a 0 to 100 dog that can take down a animal 4 times it's size and hold it down.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts