Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I said, I can only do really basic things with Gimp. But here is how I made my current signature. *Ok the text didn't show up like I hoped..lol I hope you can read it...maybe if you squint really hard...lol *

^ Eddie's picture opened in Gimp. I cropped it before using Windows Office Picture Manager...I did that so I'd have less to erase.

^I zoomed Eddie's image to about 400% so I could see better to erase around his body. I used the Fuzzy circle brush to make the lines softer and not as stark.

^Eddie's picture with everything I want erased from it.

^After I erased everything I want from both pictures of Eddie and Uallis, I opened up Gimp again to create the actual signature. The max signature size on this forum is 500x100. I colored the background with the color I wanted. Notice that I used the same color when I erased the background in the dogs pictures. I knew ahead of time what color I wanted to use.

MORE...

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

^I opened Eddie's image as a New Layer...

^Eddie's picture...its bigger than it needs to be now...but it will be smaller soon...Make the picture smaller by RIGHT CLICKING on the the layer and Scale Image...if you use the "Image" option at the top, it makes EVERYTHING smaller...not just the picture.

^The Scale Layer dialog box

More...

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

^After I scaled down Eddie's picture and placed it where I wanted it...I repeated the process with Uallis's picture...Look at the Layers box...he has his own Layer.

^Here I added text using the text option (the big "A" icon). Creating text makes its own layer so you don't have to create one for it. I select the font I wanted along with the size. I also adjusted the Opacity so the text wouldn't be so stark again the background. I wanted it to blend in a little bit.

^The finished signature. I made all the layers into one layer by right clicking on the background layer...Merge Visible Layers and then selected Clipped to Bottom Layer.

I saved everything as a JPEG and uploaded to Photobucket and inserted it as my DF signature...

The whole thing from start to finish took about 10 minutes or so.

I hope this helps...:)

·
Registered
823 Posts
Cool, thanks! How do I go about getting this alleged "gimp"?

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
That's really helpful, I was wondering how to do it using Gimp. I use mostly Microsoft Paint for my stuff.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good idea, MDawn. I made my sig with GIMP a while ago as well :) it's a fun program.
Thanks! One thing that I have trouble with is patterned backgrounds...like the one you have. I know there is a way to just cut out the background of the image you want to use and just put it over the new background but for the life of me I can't figure it out, so all my signature backgrounds have to be solid at this point because I only know how to do it the way I described...lol :eek: I'm a novice with Gimp...I think I need to watch a few more tutorials...lol

That's really helpful, I was wondering how to do it using Gimp. I use mostly Microsoft Paint for my stuff.
I hope it was helpful in creating a very basic signature. Like I said, I'm a novice and still learning but hopeful after playing around with it for awhile I'll be able to do better signatures...:)

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Thanks! One thing that I have trouble with is patterned backgrounds...like the one you have. I know there is a way to just cut out the background of the image you want to use and just put it over the new background but for the life of me I can't figure it out, so all my signature backgrounds have to be solid at this point because I only know how to do it the way I described...lol :eek: I'm a novice with Gimp...I think I need to watch a few more tutorials...lol
I actually just created the background myself then imported the two images I wanted as new layers with transparent backgrounds so they didn't interfere with the background I wanted to show up, then merged the layers to make the final image, if that makes any sense.

I should probably watch a tutorial ones of these days myself lol...I basically just started playing with it back when I first downloaded it about 5 years ago (different version then) and have picked things up as I went along.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I actually just created the background myself then imported the two images I wanted as new layers with transparent backgrounds so they didn't interfere with the background I wanted to show up, then merged the layers to make the final image, if that makes any sense.

I should probably watch a tutorial ones of these days myself lol...I basically just started playing with it back when I first downloaded it about 5 years ago (different version then) and have picked things up as I went along.
What your saying makes sense. I think I know what your talking about. I'm going to have to try it either tonight or tomorrow...I'm addicted to messing around with Gimp...lol

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
What your saying makes sense. I think I know what your talking about. I'm going to have to try it either tonight or tomorrow...I'm addicted to messing around with Gimp...lol
Oh good luck! If you get stuck feel free to ask and I'll try to help where I can. I can be addicting for sure...I spent a lot of time on it a while ago and that's when I learned a lot, but other than making my DF sig I haven't done anything on it in a long time.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, I got it now for the most part. lol I worked on it a little last night and again this evening and I think I have it somewhat down pat...lol

I found this and it really helped...

http://www.linux.com/archive/feature/44517

Scroll down the part called: "Mask that background" :)

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Gimp is the best. That's the program I used to make my sig. I also use it to "photoshop" my dog portraits and make pixel art that I use for tags on Furry Paws.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts