Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help!
Long story as short as possible.,.
My dog had a small cut on his foot from laying on the tile floor he liked cause it was cool. He is 12yr old pit mix with cushings disease.
After i noticed the cut... his foot had swollen up and I took him to the vet.
He went every day for 2wks for them to clean and re bandage it.
I was given antibiotics, anti inflammatory and pain medication I requested.

Here I am 2 weeks later being told his tendon has detached from the bone.
If you see his first picture you will not understand how this happened. A little cut leading to this...
They said 2 options,
Amputate or 6,000$ dollar surgery.
I do not like those options, help!
Any idea?? I have a second vet appointment at another place to see what they think but wow I can't afford this already spent 1500$ and owe the vet. 500$.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I don't think this is really something we can help with. You should get a second opinion from a different vet and take it from there. Be sure to take all your dog's records to the second vet so s/he will know what happened when and what treatments have been tried.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
Honestly, get a second opinion.
It doesn't sound like your vet really examined the cut when you first brought the dog into him and the cause of the tendon detaching could have been related to why he had the cut in the first place.

Does your dog still use this leg? or does he hobble and avoid it?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I have seen this happen once but it was a very long ordeal.

Long story short.

Nail broke. Became infected. Owner did not do anything for a long time. After that time owner finally went to vet. By that time oral treatment was not really useful but they did not want to spend money on surgical treatment. It rotted away. Owner came to our clinic of a second opinion. Amputation was the only option aside from putting the dog to sleep at this point. ( this has been going on for months ) They never came back but I think they put the dog to sleep cause they were very stingy.

A lot of vets will push surgery as a only option. I would get a second opinion. We like to push R&R as a first option because surgery fixes are not always a fix all. Sometimes R&R can do a lot or at least make the condition liveable. but some situations do need surgery but always get a second opinion! cause I know a lot of vets who will say surgery is an only option when there are surely other options. The only way to know is ask another vet. Which can be difficult to find a honest one these days sometimes...I mean a $6000 surgery thats almost pure profit. A little for materials. The rest is profit for the vet. A lot of other vet services do not get a big turn around in profit but surgeries are very profitable and that is my personal opinion on why they are pushed so often. Not to say your dog does not need it...it may need surgery or amputation. but who can know without asking around.I would not dish out that kind of money without some other opinions. Amputation itself is not cheap either!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.