Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, we are currently on raw.

However, I've gotten notice that I will be laid off in the very near future (next month or so) . It's very, very tough to find a job during these times so there's a good chance I could be jobless for the rest of the summer. Since my job will hire back in the fall.

No problem, I could go back to what I was feeding. But...

And now, much to my disappointment, they have stopped stocking Exceed in my area. Many breeders including myself are shocked about it, and are now struggling to find a decent kibble that isn't priced out the roof.

So, now what I'm looking at - and I have four dogs to feed so it's gotta be decently priced.

Should I have to go back to kibble, I'm looking at

Pro Plan (many, many collie breeders are having great success with this food)
Canidae
Diamond High Pro.

Any other ideas? I'm bummed, but hey, this is life. So I'm covering all of my bases.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
hi
i have shelties and mine do well on it i rotate
do you have chicken soup for dogs brand i am sure some others will recamend some good one to
jamie:)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Try Horizon Pet Foods, very reasonably priced, good quality, and distributed almost everywhere. If you can't find it at your local pet store, they should be able to order it in for you. As for the options you listed, the best choice would be Canidae, then Pro Plan, then Diamond High Performance. Another suitable brand is Eagle Pack, although they just took a price increase like everyone else..... I think they're still in a normal $ range.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've never seen Horizon.

I'm wondering about Canidae, how many show/performance/breeding dogs actually eat it? I know at least that many dogs do well on Pro Plan.

I won't (can't afford) to pay more than $45 for a sack of food. I went pricing today and some of the food is outrageously expsensive. Right now it's a toss up between Pro Plan Performance all life stages and Canidae.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Oh my gosh txcollies, I am so sorry you're getting laid off! This economy thing really sucks for so many. :( Every day I am very grateful for my job.
Anyway, are you sure there is no way you can stick with raw? If you stick with mainly chicken, for now, I think 1 quarter per day per collie would be enough. Chicken quarters can usually be found for $5 or less per 10lb bag. Kidneys are also under $1 per lb. Liver once a week to week and a half will be a bit more though. Although not the ideal raw diet still better than kibble. Don't forget that raw fed dogs usually see the vet less. Also, I know with mine, I haven't had to use and flea/tick meds with them so that saves a bundle. On kibble they had to have Frontline EVERY month.

Oh well, in the end you gotta do what you gotta do. No matter what your puppies are fed at least you're still able to provide them with a loving home and that's the bottom line. :)
Hoping the best for you!!!!!

Jihad
and the pound puppy crew.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I've never seen Horizon.

I'm wondering about Canidae, how many show/performance/breeding dogs actually eat it? I know at least that many dogs do well on Pro Plan.
Keep in mind that Purina sponsors and supports a lot of breeders. The same way Pedigree supports and sponsors West Minster Dog Show. Meaning that, just because a lot of breeders use it, doesn't mean it's the best. When you're whelping several puppies and bitches over 8 weeks it can get expensive. Iams used to sponsor breeders as well, and how do most people feel about them... I'm not saying it's awful by any means, I'm just saying when it comes to most breeders, save where you can without compromising dramatically on nutrition.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know that Purina sponsers and does a lot of support. But I also know that many successful breeders feed and use it, an a ton of the serious gun/hunting dog people have been using it for years. I'm not really hearing much about people having the same success with Canidae.

Pro Plan performance will fit my guys well. I'll still check out Canidea, but I've heard it dries out coats, and with collies that's the last thing I need.

My collies need at least two chicken quarters a day. A 10# bag of CQ is $8 a bag, so yea, it does add up over time and does cost more than a decent kibble. I know it's the best way to feed, but right now I'm more concerned with hanging on to to my dogs and keeping them in good shape. They've done wonderfully on the kibble they were on for years, so I'm not going to cry about putting them back, when the time comes. Mine get no vax/minimal vax (depends on the dog) and no chemical flea/tick (not in years) and never have to see the vet anyway. I've been pretty lucky so far.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think you already know the move you're going to make. You're just looking for someone to back you up. So I will.

Go get the Pro Plan Performance. I fed this for quite some time, and my dogs did wonderful on it (it's also cheaper to feed Performance formula than the other adult/puppy formulas, as it's so nutrient dense). Great coats, great energy, great poop! Great all-stages food!

While I've never used Canidae, I considered it for some time, but haven't heard great news about it. Yeah, it's supposed to be a great food, but many dogs don't do well on it.

Do what works on your budget AND what your dogs do well on. You can always go back to raw once you get your job back. In the meantime, hang in there!

Forgot to add that you can join the Purina Pro Club, save the points from the bags, and get rebate checks for future bags of food. Does save you money in the long run!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Not sure if you are feeding prey model raw or not...but, if you are, I've heard of quite a few people putting ads out on craigslist asking for peoples meat in their freezer that they no longer want and getting a good bit of it for little or no cost. If you are feeding prey model raw and can post an ad somewhere like that, that may be an option for you....

Good luck to you with whatever you decide and I'm sorry that you were laid off....the fall will be here before too long....hang in there!

·
Banned
572 Posts
I've heard about the club. How do I go about getting information on joining?

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

TX, so sorry to hear about your job :( I hope you're able to find something quickly ... It seems like everyone is getting laid off, my cousin has two kids and a third on the way & just lost his job yesterday ... Praying we've hit rock bottom and things turn around soon.

Just wanted to chime in on this one. We tried Canidae I think in '04, right after I took mine off raw. It was one of the worst foods I have ever used - everyone was telling me how it was such a bang for the buck but my dogs looked terrible. We had bitches not coming in season, tho when they finally did, they started dropping a thick white mucous instead of blood. Vaginal yeast infection. They have not had it before or since, even on Evil Purina. My GSD would not eat it willingly. It was a sideshow act to get her to eat the SIX cups daily it took to keep her looking a little better than a rack of bones. It ruined her coat, caused her to loose black pigmentation on her hind legs and the base of her tail. Most of the pigment never came back in again. The Beagles had dingy coats as well. It seemed to improve bad coats but ruin coats that had previously been good :confused: I hear they've changed the formula since, but I'd never touch it again.

What general protein/fat ratio are you looking for? If they sell Tuffy's in your neck of the woods, I've heard nothing but great reports on that but I'm not sure if they make a high protein formula. Black Gold is another one supposed to be very good. And I've seen hounds @ trials who were eating "The Pride" that looked awesome. If I could get that around here, I would try it. But of course, if it were me, I'd go with the Pro Plan for hi protein ;)

You cannot beat Purina's breeder program. I think it's 5 or more dogs to qualify (but I've been a member since I had 4 dogs ... that Shepherd ate enough for two dogs anyway, lol). Clip your weight circles on the side of the bag and send them in when you've collected about 250ish lbs. Once you accumulate 7000 points, you can claim your weight circles in for $7 rebate checks. So the 7000 points would get you 10 $7 checks. More weight circles, more rebate checks or Vet checks or gift certificates, etc. With the rebate checks, a 17.5 lb bag of Puppy Chow runs me $7. I can defintiely live with that! lol

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The 30/20 does best for my dogs.

I'll check out the performance. I got really lucky with the Exceed performance formula. It was some great food. Like a generic version of Pro Plan performance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The 30/20 does best for my dogs.

I'll check out the performance. I got really lucky with the Exceed performance formula. It was some great food. Like a generic version of Pro Plan performance.
Would you recommend Pro Plan for an active Lab?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
From what I've read, and especially what I've heard coming from people with very active hard working dogs (like Gun dog kennels) I'd say to give the Pro Plan Performance a try.

·
Registered
13 Posts
From what I've read, and especially what I've heard coming from people with very active hard working dogs (like Gun dog kennels) I'd say to give the Pro Plan Performance a try.
Thanks for the quick reply.
Im so frustrated after trying Blue Buffalo and Natual Balance and that
not working for my dog =(

Im going tomorrow to get him a bag to try.
Thanks again =)

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I went around town today and looked at my options.

Canidae is out of the question. Too pricey for too small a bag.

Chicken Soup. It looked okay, but too low in protien and fat and I haven't heard anything about how breeding/performance dogs do on it.

Diamond makes a formula that looks like it could work, and then there's Pro Plan Performance. And there is also a brand called "Red Flannel" and one of their formulas looks like it might work, I don't know much about RF, so I'm not sure.

I wish Pro Plan wasn't so pricey. How annoying... ;-)

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
hi
our local feed store carried rf a lot of people had there dogs on it and they were happy do you have a pet smart what about there brand that is harvest baked
jamie

1 - 20 of 23 Posts