Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bailey, my 3 month old weimaraner, finishes her food extremely fast and she's also extremely food/treat motivated..so I thought some kind of treat/food dispensing toy would give her something to do as well as slow her down for her meals (especially her last meal of the day since this is when she's in hyper puppy mode so it'd be an outlet for her energy!). I want something that keeps her entertained but also won't be so hard that she just gives up. For example..she has a regular kong but once she gets the treat that she can see from the outside she just gives up...no attempt made at getting the stuff from the inside..so if she doesn't feel it's "worth it" she's just not going to do it. At the same time if it's all just going to pour out it's really not worth it as a toy..

I have been looking on amazon and found a few that look like they might work well.

The kong wobbler: www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3882654

or the tug a jug: www.amazon.com/Premier-Busy-Buddy-Medium...00KV7ZGQ/ref=lh_ni_t

Both say they can hold 2 cups of dog food (she only gets 1 cup at a time anyway) but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with either of these two and could let me know your opinions. Thanks!

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
We love food dispensing toys - more often than not, our standard poodle gets her dinner in a toy (whatever portion hasn't been used for training). We have a bob-a-lot that she really likes; it's similar to the kong wobbler but is hard plastic - so noisy! I'd have gotten the wobbler if I had seen it first. She also has a Contempo Finn which she adores! It's shaped like a stick (her favorite toy) and holds about 1 1/4 cups of food. Added bonus is that it's quiet, so she can have it while my husband is still asleep.

We have a tug-a-jug, but she doesn't seem to like that as much. I'm not sure she understands how to get the food out. She also has Dogit Three-in-One toy; she likes it, but it doesn't hold enough food to keep her occupied for long.

I've read about homemade toys, too. Seems as though anything hollow that can have holes poked into it can become a food dispensing toy - soda bottles, oatmeal canisters, paper towel rolls with duct tape on the ends, PVC pipe, etc. Just be sure to secure any small parts (e.g., soda bottle lids) that could become choking hazards.

I'll be following this thread to see what other suggestions are offered.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I wanted to buy Luke a food dispensing toy but I wasn't sure which would work best for him or how respective he would even be to them, so I made one. I used a Gatorade bottle and just cut a small hole in one side and left the lid off. So to get the food out he rolls it across the floor and it spills out the hole. When it gets near the end he starts flipping the bottle, smacking one end with his paw so food falls out the bigger hole. It takes him about 10 minutes to eat his 1.5 cups this way. If its in a bowl it's gone in 10 seconds. When I first introduced it to him he wanted to chew on the end so I had to teach him how to use it but he's a pro now.

Our puppy Zoey gets fed in her crate. She is also a food inhaler so she gets part of her kibble in the kong and the rest I scatter in her crate. She has her blankets in there all messed up most of the time so I just leave them and toss the kibble so she has to snuffle around for it a bit. Takes her about 10 minutes to finish if I mess up the blankets real good.

I think the kong is a good toy to start with because kibble is usually small enough that it falls out pretty easy. Also have you tried smearing something yummy smelling on the inside of the kong to get her licking the inside? Like peanut butter or wet food or cottage cheese or yogurt etc. My dogs love getting their stuffed kongs. I stuff them really tight and freeze them, that keeps Luke busy for 20-30 minutes and Zoey longer.

·
Super Moderator
11,834 Posts
Sadly, my dogs (and Esther in particular) have discovered that the quickest way to get the food out of a food-dispensing toy is to rip it in half.

That DOES slow them down, but only once and at about $14-a-pop, it would be cheaper to just take them to the local steak joint for dinner (where they can also learn a valuable lesson in patience.)

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Since your weim is still a baby, I would START with regular kongs...the vid shows how to get the pup started and how to increase difficulty. From there you may want to try the Tricky Treat Ball http://www.omegapaw.com/products/tricky-treat-ball.html The one I bought I eventually cut a big slice in it so that I could clean it out when necessary. The kong wobbler is also hard plastic (mentioned in an earlier post) and so can be noisy, especially if you live in an apt. I recently bought tugajug for Cracker (it's hard plastic too) and it was difficult for her at first to figure out so I had to "help" teach her how to use it and now she LOVES it. The trick to food toys is to find the easy ones to use first so the dog/pup doesn't get too frustrated and give up and then you gradually increase the difficulty.

Good luck!

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Since your weim is still a baby, I would START with regular kongs...the vid shows how to get the pup started and how to increase difficulty. From there you may want to try the Tricky Treat Ball http://www.omegapaw.com/products/tricky-treat-ball.html The one I bought I eventually cut a big slice in it so that I could clean it out when necessary. The kong wobbler is also hard plastic (mentioned in an earlier post) and so can be noisy, especially if you live in an apt.
I assumed the Kong wobbler was made from the same material as the regular Kong toys. Is the Tricky Treat Ball soft (I assume so if you cut into it)? That could be a good "happy spring" gift for Katie :)

I recently bought tugajug for Cracker (it's hard plastic too) and it was difficult for her at first to figure out so I had to "help" teach her how to use it and now she LOVES it. The trick to food toys is to find the easy ones to use first so the dog/pup doesn't get too frustrated and give up and then you gradually increase the difficulty.

Good luck!
How did you teach your dog to use the tug-a-jug? We've tried putting kibble and treats right in the opening and showing her how to pull to rope, but she just walks away.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Hobbes LOVES the tug-a-jug. We had to teach him to use it the first time. i just put it on the ground and started yanking the rope around to show him that kibble will fall out. He caught on immediately.

It's a little noisy, so if you have hardwood floors and downstairs neighbors, use caution. (Not nearly as noisy as the Buster Cube though)

I highly recommend the tug-a-jug. It's really versatile - if it gets too easy you can throw some ping pong balls in there to make it a little more challenging. Also, eventually Hobbes chews through the rope, and having balls in there still keeps it interesting even without the rope.

ETA: We've had to replace it a couple of times. Hobbes doesn't just rip it in half like Esther, but banging it around on the floor eventually does take its toll. Definitely worth the $12, though, since it lasts a few months usually.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
I like the busy buddy kibble nibble ball and the bob-a-lot for my boy Jubel. In the end it really depends on your dog and how determined they are and how destructive they are. Jubel is very high in both areas so I need difficult and durable. I had a tug-a-jug and he broke it the first time (third time I gave it to him) I took my attention away from him and the toy for about 2 minutes. The kibble ball and bob-a-lot have both been replaced a few times each over the last 18 months or so but for $12-15 lasting a few months before needing to be replaced is good enough for me.

We started with the kibble ball and I had to teach him how to get the food out but he was quickly a pro and easily caught on to the bob-a-lot when I first introduced it. I recently got a buster cube but I'm not a big fan of it. Hard to fill, a lot louder (both the kibble ball and bob-a-lot are noisy on hardwood), and gets 'trapped' more frequently.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My toy poodle Remi LOVES a water bottle with a few holes cut in it! As a matter of fact, he will often choose to get his kibble out of that instead of just eating it out of the bowl (I free-feed).

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Kit has broken a few tug-a-jugs, so I quit buying them.

Love the Busy Buddy Squirrel Dude (similar to a kong, but rubber prongs face inwards to hold in food better).
The Tricky Treats Ball is my favorite for mealtimes.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Yes, the tricky treat ball is a softer material. I just found it really difficult to empty totally if I wanted to clean it out and there were some old kibbles left in it. I just sliced a slice in it and squeezed to get old stuff out. Since Cracker is not a heavy chewer (nor a big "toy banger") it's still going strong a year later.

The Tugajug I used the clicker to click and reward (with kibble toss) any and all interaction with the toy, which I filled with REALLY tiny treats like cheerios..eventually she got to using her mouth on the rope (she's a batter, not a mouther) and learned that moving the rope caused the stuff inside to come out. Eventually I stopped clicking and she just continued to play with it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oooh I am going to try that trick with the gatorade bottle! That'd probably give us a good idea if she'd even be interested in something like that! Thanks for the idea KadyLady!

I saw the kong wobblers at petsmart today, and I thought they looked cool and could entice her..but it was 20.00 for the large one there! I'd definitely order from amazon if we're going to end up getting one of those.

I liked the softer feel of the treat balls..but I also worried about getting everything out.

Thank you, Cracker, for the video for the kong. I'm going to try something like that tonight and see how it goes. When we tried it with her we had put the stuffer that came with it in there. She loved it until the outside part was gone and then lost interest.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
I just found it really difficult to empty totally if I wanted to clean it out and there were some old kibbles left in it.
Mmm, that would be hard. Not a problem in my house though - a very highly food-motivated dog will work for as long as it takes to get that very last kibble. There's never any left when meal time is over.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts