Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i got my 8 week old staffy a few days ago and he didnt want to eat the food the breeder gave me so i switched to lillys kitchen puppy recipe. I did not do the transition period since he wouldnt touch the food he was previously eating. Now after 2 days he has soft stool. Should i start mixing the new food with the old food now or is it too late already?

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I would not feed puppy food. Better to feed an all life stages food.

I would not mix at this point. I would yry feeding less (never feed what is on the bag.. it is almost always too much food).

If soft stools continue, go the the vet. The issue may not be the food at all. It might be illness or parasites.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He is already eating only 500g daily out of 850g reccomended do you think that is enough? Today he is making solid poop so hopefully it was just from the diet switch.

·
Super Moderator
2,511 Posts
If the poops are formed but just soft I'd give it a little more time and see if things settle out. If the poops are super sloppy/liquidy or they don't improve over time, it's worth consulting a vet for an exam and a fecal.

For portion sizes, I tend to go by dog's condition. If they're maintaining a healthy weight, not acting desperate for food (though it's worth mentioning some dogs/breeds will do this no matter how much they're fed), and - in the case of puppies - growing well, I'm happy. I'm inclined to say stick with one food and avoid throwing lots of different things at him unless there's a serious issue, at least until your puppy has had time to settle in and get used to your household, because this is a stressful time for puppies and messing with their diet unnecessarily can easily make it moreso. Stress can cause softer poos too, so time may well resolve things, but again, don't mess around if his poops are really sloppy or diarrhea. Like infant humans, baby puppies can dehydrate very quickly if they have diarrhea and/or vomiting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts