Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new owner of a black lab puppy. Her name is Lily, and she is only a few weeks old right now so she wont be able to come home with me until the end of September. I have never owned a dog before, although my BF has, and I have been doing a lot of research about how to train her, feed her, healthcare, ect. I have a few questions for you guys...

What (in your opinion) is the best food to start her off on?
Best toys to have waiting for her when she gets home ?
Best treats to use for potty training?

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
You should start her on whatever the breeder is feeding. After the puppy is adjusted to your home you can switch her to whatever food you choose to feed. www.dogfoodadvisor.com and www.dogfoodanalysis.com have ratings of different foods and can help give you an idea of what a good quality food should contain.

A kong is a must have for any dog/puppy, you can stuff treats inside and for something more challenging freeze something more liquidy inside like plain yogurt for a longer lasting treat. Chew toys are also a must have, bullysticks, antlers and nylabones are good choices.

I (And my dog) prefer single ingredient treats like dehydrated meat. There are a number of commercial dehydrated treats available or you can make them yourself in the oven.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
For a new dog, I like to have a variety of types of toys available, because not all dogs like all toys. My last dog loved rubber toys, my current dog ignores anything that isn't furry and stuffed. So go to the dollar store, pick up a selection of different toys and then see what she likes. Just be careful, a very determined chewer can rip apart a stuffy in no time flat and some dogs will eat the stuffing.

As for treats, I like to use either Milkbone Naturals or just leftovers like chicken, beef, cheese, peanut butter, carrots, green beans, etc. Nothing fatty or salty, though. Here is a list of human foods that are hazardous to dogs.

·
Registered
438 Posts
You should start her on whatever the breeder is feeding. After the puppy is adjusted to your home you can switch her to whatever food you choose to feed. www.dogfoodadvisor.com and www.dogfoodanalysis.com have ratings of different foods and can help give you an idea of what a good quality food should contain.

A kong is a must have for any dog/puppy, you can stuff treats inside and for something more challenging freeze something more liquidy inside like plain yogurt for a longer lasting treat. Chew toys are also a must have, bullysticks, antlers and nylabones are good choices.

I also use the www.dogfoodadvisor.com website,this is an awesome site that can give you the ratings of different foods..4 star 5 star that sort of ratings.Also all my pups start with a kong,you can add all sorts of treats to the kong.My personal favorite for my guys that lasts for hours of play is to add bannanas,apple slices,bluberries or even the smaller doggy treats into the hole and cover with peanut butter then put in the freezer for several hours.The frozen//cold kong will serve as a good teether and the treats and frozen PB will give a long lasting chew/play toy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts