Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you store your dogs food in? Bag? Container? (which one/kind?)

Im speaking of dry food, not wet or raw.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I keep the food in the original bag and put it into an airtight container. Even the smallest bags can last my dog around 3 - 3.5 months and this is what I've found keeps it very fresh.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I have 2 Van Ness containers, one holds 25 lbs and the other holds 4 or 5 lbs.

I scoop out the food and put it into the smaller container for daily feeding and I leave the rest in the bag inside the larger container. I also keep the food on the landing going to my basement - it is cooler and darker. The most food I have bought was 26.4 lbs and the food seemed fine to the very end ( about 100 days or so).

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
We have a large container that I empty the whole bag into (I don't know the brand, but it was just a basic pet food storage container)

Then I have a smaller tupperware container that I fill and take the day-to-day food from, only opening the big container to refill that one as needed.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
I keep it in the original bag in the basement, and transfer a 1-2 week portion to a tupperware container that I keep in the kitchen. Some bags reseal which is nice. If they don't, we place the original bag into a big plastic bag (not even sure where we got it, but it's made by Ziplock and perfectly sized for a 40lb bag of dog food) and seal with a rubberband. I'd like to get one of those big containers that would fit the whole bag but I haven't gotten around to it.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
I have multiple air tight containers that I pour the food into. Vittle Vaults are what mine are.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I put the food in mason jars and then place the mason jars in a large buddeez container, labeling each jar with expiration date and food lot information. I then pull out one mason jar at a time.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Well i feel terrible now. I never take it out of the bag. Just roll it down like you would a potato chip bag.

Everyone has these processes or containers and I'm like, ya he eats straight from the bag.

:(

·
Registered
363 Posts
Well i feel terrible now. I never take it out of the bag. Just roll it down like you would a potato chip bag.

Everyone has these processes or containers and I'm like, ya he eats straight from the bag.

Actually, keeping it in the bag is a lot better. Even if you use a container it's best to keep it in the bag and then put it into a container. There's also nothing wrong with not using a container if your food doesn't last very long :) The only reason I use one is to keep the food fresh since it isn't eaten within a month or two.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Actually, keeping it in the bag is a lot better. Even if you use a container it's best to keep it in the bag and then put it into a container. There's also nothing wrong with not using a container if your food doesn't last very long :) The only reason I use one is to keep the food fresh since it isn't eaten within a month or two.
That's why I never thought about storing it. I bought a new bag about every 4 weeks.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts

I do even less. 35 pound bag goes into a side opening on a short hutch/dresser thing in the kitchen. I don't roll it or close it in anyway.
Her kibble lasts 2 months and I've never noticed a difference in quality. The house often gets to 90+ (only have a window ac in the living room and bedroom) and down to 60 before I on the heat.

I've never done anything different because I've never noticed a difference.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We pour Faith, Elvin and Opies food into their bowl container. ( it has storage under their bowls). Hopes has just been kept in the bag in our room and at one point on the basement stairs ( but the cats rip tha bag). Last night I went to Walmart to look at containers and they are EXPENSIVE! I ended up getting plastic tubs. 10gal for Hopes 25lb bag and shoe size for Charlies 4lb bag. Now they are sitting on the basement steps. :)

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
I have Vittles Vaults but they're sort of annoying to open twice a day, tbh :/. Maybe I screw them too tightly or something. I use those for cat, ferret, rabbit food. For the dogs, I got one of those big dog food containers from Costco---the kind you can put the whole bag into---for $15 and it's a lot more convenient. I kind of doubt its airtightness; it just has a bit of styrofoam around the lid and doesn't clip very tightly. But so far the dogs haven't complained. If the food weren't in some kind of container the dogs would eat all of it while I'm at work :p.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I know it's an old post. But I've always kept large bags (30 pounds) in a large container never though in it's regular packaging in a container. The kibble has always been fine though.
My girl dog is on a different food and I'm buying her 4/5 pound bags at the moment and I'm wondering if I should buy a small container. I went to the store yesterday and saw some that holds 10 pounds. In about a month I'll start buying a medium bag (14 pounds) and I'm thinking to just fill a pitcher/ dog food container. And keep the rest in its original bag. The biggest bag they have available in what she's eating is 24 which comes out cheaper per pound. But I'm not sure if I should as she and the other dog will take a long time to finish a 24 pound bag. Both only eating about 2 cups per day.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I use a food bin by Be one Breed. It was a bit pricy (~40$ CAD) but so worth it. It holds 45lbs of kibble, is hermetically sealed, and a great photo prop :p I dump the bag in and wash the bin every few bags.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'm also thinking I should just buy them small bags. At the moment I have to keep up with 4 bags of different kibble (I have 4 dogs) and I just don't like having 3 bags just being around. But soon it'll just be a large container of food and a small or medium bag which I can't wait for as it'll be easier. I also do plan on buying new scoopers. I only have 1 at the moment and it be easier for each bag to have it's own scooper.
I've never washed the large container. It never occurred to me. Next bag I'll wash it. But I'm a bit afraid as I'm sure it has to be very dry.
Mutts: Your dog is adorable :)

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I put the bag on top of the cabinet in the garage (unheated) and open the top and scoop out of that. Same with the cat food. I don't secure the bag top or anything.. just cut it open with a hunting knife and scoop it into bowls. Raw food is fed at night. That is frozen in a chest freezer and fed at night. I feed kibble in the morning and not a lot of it. It is more efficient to feed in the morning before going to work when "time is of the essence..."

1 - 20 of 27 Posts