Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the happy, proud owner of a 4 month old, 14 pound wheaten terrier. He is great in general, but I have a lot of food questions and my vet just hasn't seemed super knowledgeable.

When we got him (Bacon) he was on Purina Pro Plan - Puppy formula. After doing some reading, we wanted to find a higher quality food for him and I think we have settled on Orijen Puppy. I like what I read about the quality controls of the company and the ingredients. Am I missing anything or is this a good place to start?

One thing my vet did mention is a tablespoon of yogurt every day for digestive health. Does anyone else do this? Does it cause loose stools? I tried it this week and I'm not sure it is agreeing with him.

Last question, my vet said that feeding him 3 times a day, 1/2 cup each feeding is sufficient, but he still seems VERY hungry. Is this enough? I know I sound like I don't trust everything the vet says... and well, maybe I don't!

·
Registered
818 Posts
Congratulations on your new addition!

1. Yes, Orijen is a good food to start with....is it agreeing with him? If so, then great!
2. Yes, some people do add yogurt to their dog's food for the probiotic properties. Me...I just add probiotics. What makes you think it's not agreeing with him? Is he having loose stools? If so, maybe you're adding too much right now.
3. Yes, lots of people feed their puppies 3 times a day (just divide their allotted amount of food into 3 portions, of course). If he is still acting very hungry, just increase the portions "a little bit" at a time until he feels satisfied. Remember, though, you have to watch that he's staying in a good weight and growing properly....also feeding too much can also cause loose stools.

I hope this helped! :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yes, Yes and yes on all three accounts. I also use Probiotics I get at my local Feed store. Just watch your pup and if he is losing weight on 1 1/2 c/day then increase a bit. If he's gaining, decrease. It's all on how your pup is.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts