Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I just got my first puppy last week, and so far things have been good - tiring, but good! He's only had a couple accidents, sleeps through the night, is adjusting to his crate, and so on.

However, we have hit one issue I'm not 100% sure how to solve. He is obsessed with food! He whines while preparing his meals, scarfs them down, whines whenever he thinks food might be happening (ex. I'm preparing my food or open the food closest), and goes crazy when I try to use treats to train him (lunging for my hand, trying to chew it to get e treat, etc).

Obviously this could lead to some very bad habits and I want to deal with them now, I'm just not sure how. I tried using a muffin tin to slow him a bit but it hasn't helped THAT much really. And I don't now what to do about the whining and lunging.

He is fed three times a day, 3/4 cups per meal. He is 10 lbs and seven weeks (almost eight). Thank you!

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Teach him some self control:

And make sure you never feed him when he whines, barks, begs, or is rude. Over time he will give up on begging when you prepare food, as long as he's never rewarded for it.

You can also teach him to stay in a designated area while you prepare food, like a bed. Teach him that he can have some treats, but he has to be on the bed and quiet.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
I agree with what was said above. As far as getting him to eat slower you can use his kibble for a training session (until it's gone) or feed him from a Kong Wobbler (my dog loves this).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts