Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello every body, I need some advice on my little shiba inu husky mix. she is driving me crazy with her obsession with food, any type of food, dog food, human food, it doesn't matter to her. I rent a bedroom in my friends house and they have 2 dogs that they feed in the kitchen each morning, when I wake up and go to let my pups out its a race to the kitchen because Kaia (my shiba husky mix) books it for their food and just gobbles it down before I can do anything. each time I punish her for eating the food, but she continues to do it no matter what. I know I need to take a new approach to this but I was hoping for advice on it. If she sees food she goes for it, and she is always getting into food and gobbling it down like she hasn't eaten for days. I feed her twice a day but it just isn't enough in her eyes, She is a healthy weight, she is about 7 months old and is just food crazy. so do any of you know how to train her to mellow her out when it comes to this food obsession?

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Try training some doggie zen/impulse control/leave it.

Impulse control leads to you having a way to give the go ahead to get food or redirect her away from it.

"Leave it" gives you a way to stop her from going after food if you see her doing so.

Since she wants the food, access to the food is the reward. Practice during meal time as well as any time.

Wally is a food monster, so I know what you mean. This was one of the first things I worked on with him.

·
Registered
608 Posts
For instant results for her not stealing your roommate's dogs' food, take her out on a leash to prevent her access.

Work on "leave it" a ton and then move to trying it on leash near the other dogs's EMPTY bowls, then their bowls with a few pieces of kibble, and so on. When she has mastered leaving a full bowl on leash, It's time to start with the empty bowl again off leash...

I completely understand a food monster. My 4 month old will get in this weird zone if she THINKS she found where food MIGHT be. Like I could hold a treat in front of her nose and try to lure her away, but if she thinks there's food in that box/on the counter/in the cabinet, It's REALLY hard to break her concentration enough for her to even notice YOU have food. We practice "leave it" and turning when we say her name CONSTANTLY for this very reason.

Hopefully in a couple of months, both of us will have made massive progress.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
First, stop punishing her for eating another dog's food. Dogs are opportunists when it comes to food, so most of them will eat whenever there is food available. They have no sense of mine and yours. Punishing her isn't going to help because she values the food highly enough that she's willing to take the punishment. All it's doing is wrecking your relationship with her, and depending on the intensity of the punishment, making her fear you.

Instead, you need to manage the situation. Never feed her when there are other dogs around, because you risk her developing resource guarding behaviors. Similarly, she needs to be removed from the area while the other dogs are eating. That could mean crating her, taking her outside, or whatever. Do not allow her access to the other dogs' food, ever.

Lastly, as KB said, this problem contains its own solution. Clearly the dog is highly food motivated, so you should use food as a reward for the behaviors that you want. If the dog can calmly sit on a mat or crate while the other dogs eat, then she gets a jackpot of treats! It may take time to work up to that level of control, but with diligence, she will realize that doing it your way means awesome rewards and trying to steal food gets her nothing. Food-motivated dogs are really quite easy to train - they'll do anything for the smallest morsel of any type of food.

ETA: I have my own food monster of a dog - a 40lb BC x pointer cross who will stop at nothing for a taste of food. With lots of training, I've directed this drive into productive behaviors such as agility, fetch, etc. I love my dog's food obsession because it's incredibly easy to convince her to do just about anything I want. I'd find it much more difficult to own and train a dog that was harder to motivate.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My lab is trained on a trigger word. I have trained her to sit and hold the sit untill the trigger word is given, she does this with treats too, no stranger can feed her with out the trigger word. Pick a word that you do not use in every day conversation such as conestoga or jackalope some thing only you and your inner circle will know (kind like a password for your family) keep making her sit and wait for the trigger eventually your roommates dogs will learn it too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts