Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was given a large beef bone from my butcher today and gave it too my 6 month old Golden Retriever (Macie), she loves the thing but I noticed when i went down to pet her she tensed up and growled a little bit. I have never had a problem with her guarding anything before and I know this is an extra special treat but I would like some ideas to break her obsession with the bone.
FYI. I have done some things to try and prevent this when i normally feed her (hand feeding & putting my hand in the bowl to drop treats in it while she is eating)

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Do trades. Get a 2nd bone and make it the 'better' one to have....wave it, shake it, get her interested in it. When she steps away from her bone, give her yours and then pick up the one she left. Repeat many times. You're teaching her that she doesn't have to guard it, she will always get it back if she willingly gives it up. You can put a command on it, Give or Drop, once she gets the idea of the 'game'.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I was given a large beef bone from my butcher today and gave it too my 6 month old Golden Retriever (Macie), she loves the thing but I noticed when i went down to pet her she tensed up and growled a little bit. I have never had a problem with her guarding anything before and I know this is an extra special treat but I would like some ideas to break her obsession with the bone.
FYI. I have done some things to try and prevent this when i normally feed her (hand feeding & putting my hand in the bowl to drop treats in it while she is eating)

Thanks for your help
Warden, I had the exact problem with my recently-adopted adult dog. He's not protective of his food or toys, but was with the beef bone I gave him. What Tooney recommended is the best advice. For me, just a simple treat did the trick. Above all, be careful!

·
Registered
10 Posts
My friends dog Millie guards various items around the office! She loves to protect rubbish bins for some reason....

Paws

1 - 4 of 4 Posts