1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So long story short (or as short as possible):
- Dogs boarded
- Kennel accidentally fed twice as much food as they were supposed to
- Therefore ran out of home food and had to be switched cold turkey to house food
- Our previous food is now unavailable - we thankfully have a few pounds left to use to transition them (so two food switches - one cold turkey)
- Horrible diarrhea for Misty for a week. Sierra was okay initially and then began having diarrhea last week.
- Misty recovered. Sierra persisted in having diarrhea (no other symptoms) until yesterday when blood tinged vomit, mucous diarrhea with a touch of blood, no appetite (big deal for a foodie dog) and not drinking set in.
- Went to the vet this morning. Misty is fine (she is being monitored at home just in case) however Sierra was extremely tender to her abd upon palpation. Very concerning for pancreatitis. A complete blood count, chemistry and pancreatic enzymes later her - her blood work is immaculate. She just has a severe case of gastroenteritis. Thankfully neither was dehydrated (no IV fluids :clap2:). Sierra received a shot of antiemetic, was sent home on Flagyl and a very bland, low fat dog food for two weeks.

All of this being said I need to find a food that works well for sensitive stomachs. I know between the stress of boarding and two food switches she has every right to have gastroenteritis. However she does randomly vomit - which the vet said could happen to in dogs with sensitive stomachs. We have divided their food into smaller portions and more meals a day (which seems to have helped) and since we are switching foods I am trying to find a brand that is good for sensitive stomachs - and I don't mean one that says "sensitive stomachs" or "gastro-intestinal formula" on the side. While I am willing to feed this formula I want to find a food based on what will work for her - not just buying something because the label on it says it is for the problem my dog has.

Any food suggestions?

P.S.
We were transitioning onto Nutro Ultra. I am not sure at this point if I will continue that food or not. It seems to do very well with Misty - and depending on how Sierra may handle it after she recovers. I am willing to feed two different dog foods however I am more likely to feed Misty sensitive stomach food. She gets to "suffer" for Sierra's problem :p

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
Would a probiotic help? I'm not sure about food for sensitive stomachs, first one that comes to mind is Pro Plan select but i wouldn't feed it. I would think that lamb would NOT be good, thinking a fish food might be helpful.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They do get yogurt (well Sierra won't during her prescription food time) yogurt with probiotics in it. Misty does fine, it didn't change anything with Sierra.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I'm sorry for your puppies' woes! My old dog could develop gastroenteritis from looking at the wrong food, I swear.

I found with him that grain free and less common protein sources, like venison, bison or fish, worked well, along with yogurt for the probiotics. Chicken set him off like nothing else, corn set him off, and wheat set him off as well. Switching foods was always a nightmare, too, which made it hard to tell if the new food itself was bad, or if it was the switch setting off his problems.

Good luck.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Colby has THE most sensitive stomach on the planet. I think I'm in the same boat with Amaryllis. I swear she can look at something and get the runs. Anyway, we switched her to TOTW and she does remarkably well on all of the varieties. We also give her a probiotic and 5-6Tbsp of canned pumpkin every single day. It's done wonders for us. She hasn't had any unexplained or persistent diarrhea in about 9 months. ::knock on wood::

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think a limited ingredient with less common sources (duck and potato) will be our next attempt. I am going to switch foods over a month (a week and even two weeks is too fast for her). I have even written a "food switching" calendar and posted it on the fridge so that we will get it straight (sometimes things get lost in translation between DH and I about what the ratio of new/old food is for a given day). Sierra should be thrilled as she hates the royal canin gastro-intestinal food - it's the first time in a long time I have had to "threaten" her with eating in 20 minutes or I'm taking it up and you don't eat until breakfast. Does TOTW have any limited ingredient foods? I haven't really looked into the brand before (although I will be now).

·
Registered
176 Posts
TOTW has 2 formulas that can be considered LID - Sierra Mountain (lamb) and Pacific Stream (fish) There's lot of food out that that has limited ingredients and some is not marketed as LID so you have to look at the ingredients. I have one dog with allergies and one with a sensitive stomach so I've tried most of the LID foods. Here's a list of some:
Natural Balance LID - this is probably the one that is most recommended for LID and I used it with my dog until I realized it's mostly potato based. He actually had poop the color of sweet potato lol
TOTW - Sierra Mountain and Pacific Stream
Nature's Variety Instict - they 2 LID formulas - Turkey or Lamb, my dog does great on both even though he has chicken allergies. They also have a Salmon and a Rabbit formula which can be considered LID
Go Naturals Salmon and Oatmeal
Canine Caviar lamb and millet - my mom's GSD with a sensitive stomach does amazing on this
Blue Buffalo Basics
Acana singles line
Back to Basics
Dogswell Nutrisca - they have chicken, salmon or lamb
Earthborn Holistics - they have some forumulas that have LIDs - a bison one, fish one, and a lamb one
Nurisource grain free - they have a seafood one and a lamb one that has some salmon in it - this is what my pups are currently trying - I like to rotate
Hope that helps :)

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am going to try the natural balance - limited ingredient fish and potato grain free. I have a small bag that I am weaning Misty onto to see how they fair on grain free and limited ingredient. Sierra (who I am more curious about with how she will handle the food) will wean onto it when she finishes her two weeks of prescription food. It is a very slow wean (forget that 7 day stuff - we are doing a couple weeks). I'd rather take three or four weeks to wean onto a food than pay another couple hundred bucks to the vet to fix up another case of gastroenteritis.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts