Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're picking up our new puppy tomorrow, and from what I've read it's a good idea to start him off with the same food he's eating at the breeder's. However I just found out they're feeding him Iams Minichunks, which is an adult dog food. Should I keep him on that for a while, or immediately switch him to a puppy food, maybe the Iams version to start to keep it similar?

·
Super Moderator
2,900 Posts
If you can get a portion of his old food from the breeder, I would at least try to transition him slowly over 5-7 days rather than switching cold turkey. Start with mostly his old food and a little bit of new, and slowly increase the percentage of the new food over a few days to a week (or more if he seems sensitive). Some dogs are fine with sudden changes to their diet, but others get bad stomach upset if you do too much too quickly, and puppies are already small and relatively delicate. Like human babies, they dehydrate fast if they vomit a lot or get diarrhea, so even though his current food might not be ideal, I'd still take the time to ease him into whatever diet you're happy feeding long-term.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
What breed is your puppy? A lot of experienced breeders of large breeds feed their puppies adult food instead of puppy food.

Reactions: 3GSD4IPO

·
Registered
18 Posts
Some dogs suffer no ill effects changing foods
Some do.

Never change your dogs diet just before a scheduled road trip. Don´t ask how I know this.

I start at 25%/75% mix new/old
feed that for a few days then 50.50 then 75/25 and done.

Uncle Foster

1 - 5 of 5 Posts