Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we recently adopted a 3 1/2 month old lab/german shepard mix pup. we want her to grow up healthy and strong. what are some good foods for her to be eating for this to happen. right now she is on purina puppy chow healthy morsels, but we were told that it is full of fillers and such and isn't good for her. any suggestions? please help...thanks!

·
Registered
296 Posts
i am sure you will get lots of great suggestions on here. it's really a personal choice what you feed, and what best suits your lifestyle.

when choosing a commercial dog food look for 2 meats in the first 3 ingredients
avoid wheat, soy and corn
look for ingredients that sound like something you yourself would eat.
Look at the feeding guide. a good sign it's a high quality food is if you feed less of it than what you are feeding now.

·
Registered
110 Posts
If you're looking for a dog food with no fillers, you could go raw. There's tons of information on this board about feeding raw. Research it some. If you want to do a "dog food" brand diet, I've heard lots of good things about Innova, Orijen, Wellness Solid Gold, and Kirklands.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
I would look at brands like Wellness, Taste of the Wild, Natural Balance and Solid Gold.

Innova and Orijen are a little too high in protein to feed a large breed pup right now.

http://www.dogfoodproject.com will help you learn how to identify a good dog food by reading the ingredients list.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that website seems very good. but it confused me a little. right now we have her eating purina puppy chow healthy morsels. i had someone tell me that it was horrible for her. but i wasn't aware that it was that bad. i've always heard ol' roy was bad and i will NEVER buy that for my dog. but then they said purina was bad too and i had never heard that. also that website link that you provided me said that science diet was bad...is that true? i'm finding out so many things i never knew before! i'm beginning to go on information overload. lol. as far as the brands you have listed, where would i find those? i haven't heard of them before......

·
Registered
296 Posts
bad is a subjective term here 'less evolved nutritionally' would be more appropriate in my opinion.
Many of the brands you have mentioned were the best 30-40 years ago, but we have learned so much more about the dietary needs and overall health of pets since then, that other companies have taken the research (and the pets are family concept) and developed better food.
i'm sure 30-40 years from now we'll think TOTW or Origen is "bad" if it doesnt keep up with the times.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Dog food is hugely confusing. Google your area for pet food carrying stores. Find out what foods they carry and research just those foods. No point in looking for Rex's Super Terrific Stew if it is going to be a fortune to buy online and there are other perfectly fine foods available around the corner at Pat's Pet Place. Feed stores, grooming shops and speciality shops carry dog food and it may not cost more than the brands at the big box stores. Feed through the stuff you already have while you look around. It may not be the best food but it is not going to hurt her. She just may do better on a better food is all.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
that website seems very good. but it confused me a little. right now we have her eating purina puppy chow healthy morsels. i had someone tell me that it was horrible for her. but i wasn't aware that it was that bad. i've always heard ol' roy was bad and i will NEVER buy that for my dog. but then they said purina was bad too and i had never heard that. also that website link that you provided me said that science diet was bad...is that true? i'm finding out so many things i never knew before! i'm beginning to go on information overload. lol. as far as the brands you have listed, where would i find those? i haven't heard of them before......
Ol Roy:
Ground yellow corn, soybean meal, ground whole wheat, corn syrup, poultry fat, Meat and bone meal (Animal Fat Preserved with BHA and Citric Acid), Chicken by-product Meal, Rice, Animal Digest, Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Vitamin D and E Supplement, Niacin, Copper Sulafate, Manganous Oxide, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Meadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex Source of Vitamin K, Calcium Iodate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Cobalt Carbonate, Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite, Folic Acid
Purina Puppy Chow:
Ground Yellow Corn, Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Brewer’s Rice, Soybean Meal, Beef Tallow, Pearled Barley, Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Animal Digest, Salt, Egg Product, Potassium Chloride, L-Lysine Monohydrochloride, Zinc Proteinate, Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine, Vitamin Supplements
Science Diet Puppy Small Bites:
Ground Whole Grain Corn, Chicken By-Product Meal, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Liver Flavor, Flaxseed, Soybean Oil, Powdered Cellulose, Dried Beet Pulp, Fish Oil, Corn Gluten Meal, Dicalcium Phosphate, Dried Egg Product, Iodized Salt, DL-Methionine, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Natural Flavor, vitamins (L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Vitamin E Supplement, minerals (Manganese Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), L-Tryptophan, preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid, L-Carnitine, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract.
On dog food labels, ingredients are listed in order of prevalence in the food. In other words, whatever is the first ingredient is the main ingredient in the food. As you can see, in Ol Roy, Purina and Science Diet, corn constitutes a large part of the kibble. Corn is generally a big no-no for dogs -- it's a common allergen and is really just filler. There's also a lot of wheat, soy and by-products... not very much actual meat. Dogs are carnivores, and they need real meat in their diets.

Take a look at the ingredients for some premium brands.

Solid Gold puppy food (Hundchen Flocken):
Lamb | Lamb Meal | Ocean Fish Meal | Brown Rice | Millet | Cracked Pearled Barley | Canola Oil | Tomato Pomace | Rice Bran | Flaxseed | Natural Flavor | Salmon Oil (source of DHA) | Choline Chloride | Taurine | Dried Chicory Root | Amaranth | Parsley Flakes | Spearmint | Almond Oil | Sesame Oil | Yucca Schidigera Extract | Kelp | Thyme | Blueberries | Cranberries | Apples | Lentils | Quinoa | Vitamin E Supplement | Iron Proteinate | Zinc Proteinate | Copper Proteinate | Ferrous Sulfate | Zinc Sulfate | Copper Sulfate | Potassium Iodide | Thiamine Mononitrate | Manganese Proteinate | Manganous Oxide | Ascorbic Acid | Vitamin A Supplement | Biotin | Calcium Panthothenate | Manganese Sulfate | Sodium Selenite | Pyridoxine Hydrochloride | Vitamin B12 Supplement | Riboflavin Supplement | Vitamin D Supplement | Folic Acid |
Wellness Super5Mix for puppies:
Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Oatmeal, Ground Barley, Salmon Meal (a natural source of DHA - Docosahexaenoic Acid), Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a natural source of Vitamin E), Ground Brown Rice, Tomato Pomace, Rice Bran, Tomatoes, Natural Chicken Flavor, Rye Flour, Carrots, Spinach, Sweet Potatoes, Apples, Blueberries, Ground Millet, Ground Flaxseed, Potassium Chloride, Minerals [Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite], Vitamins [Beta-Carotene, Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Vitamin A Supplement, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement], Choline Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Taurine, Mixed Tocopherols (a natural preservative), Chicory Root Extract, Garlic, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Green Tea Extract, Dried Lactobacillus plantarum, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation products.
See how the first few ingredients are things like lamb, lamb meal, fish meal? That's what I mean by "real meat" -- those will serve as great protein sources for your dog and provide better nutrition.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok...thank you for clearing that up! that helps! now i have a question. where can i find these better foods at??? should i try petco/petsmart/petland? i'm assuming walmart doesn't sell them since i have never seen them there. but could you please let me know as to where i can get them from. they sound good for my pup! real good! LOL! i would like to pick some up this weekend while i'm in the city because i live in a smaller town so we don't have all the big stores there. thanks again for clearing that up for me!!! your a big help! :D

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
I think Petco and Petsmart should have a good range. Never heard of Petland.

If you can find any small mom-and-pop style feed stores, I think those are supposed to be good too. People in the States may be able to help you more with that. You can also order online.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
If your like me and live in a smaller community with out pet stores, you might try looking at a Feed store.. I buy all Zoey's food at The Country Store here, and the nice thing about a smaller business like that is that I can get them to special order foods for me :)

EDIT: Yes Petco carries brands like Wellness and Natural Balance and, well, pretty much every other brand under the sun. The one brand they don't carry though is Nutrisource (one of my favorites as they have so many varieties) because Nutrisource doesn't sell to chain stores. I get the Nutrisource Pure Vita here at the feed store. I'm not sure where you are in MO, but here's a list of small shops where you can get the Nutrisource. You will also probably be able to find some of the other brands there. http://www.nutrisourcedogfood.com/where_to_buy/location/MO Hope this helps!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Not to hi-jack the thread, but I just got a new pup on Saturday. He is a Australian Cattle Dog/Collie mix and both parents were about 25-30lbs. I expect him to have an adult weight of under 40lbs and hopefully closer to 30lbs. The owners of the mom were feeding him science diet. After looking at bit at the local Petsmart, I bought Nature's Recipe Puppy lamb meal and rice recipe for him.
Lamb meal, ground rice, pearled barley, oatmeal, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), dried egg, lamb digest, tomato pomace, flax seed, potassium chloride, salt, taurine, vitamins (vitamin E supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), inositol, niacin supplement, vitamin A supplement, d-calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, beta-carotene, riboflavin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, menadione sodium bisulfite complex, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement), minerals (zinc proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, iron proteinate, copper sulfate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), choline chloride, yucca schidigera, rosemary extract.

Guaranteed Analysis

Crude Protein 25.0%
Crude Fat 15.0%
Crude Fiber 4.50%
Moisture 10.0%
Iron 200 mg/kg
Copper 10 mg/kg
Zinc 150 mg/kg
Selenium 0.5 mg/kg
Vitamin E 125 IU/kg
Omega-3 Fatty Acids 0.25%
Omega-6 Fatty Acids 2.0%
Beta Carotene 6 mg/kg
It seems decent and get's mixed reviews on the internet.

I fed Chicken soup to a previous dog and thought about going back to that. I have also seen Taste of the Wild and Innova and a couple of others.

My goal is to have a food that is super healthy, doesn't cost too much and is decently easy to get at a local store.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Reacher: Can't go wrong with Chicken Soup, TOTW, or Innova....all are very good foods.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Innova and Orijen are a little too high in protein to feed a large breed pup right now.
Innova EVO is to high in protein. Regular Innova is fine for puppies, they also have a puppy only and large breed puppy formula but the regular adult is fine.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
I stand corrected. Innova is fine, Innova EVO is the one you want to look out for.

Reacher, that food looks decent, a little grainy for my tastes but it's certainly not the worst thing you could feed. TOTW, Innova and Chicken Soup are all great foods. Look at factors like affordability, how your dog does on them, whether he likes eating them (some dogs are picky and will completely refuse to eat certain foods), etc.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thank you all for your help! we are going to get the food this weekend!! :D:D i think my pup will be happy. i don't think she is liking what we have her on anymore. she keeps trying to eat the cat food instead. so we are definately going to get her some better food this weekend! :D would get it sooner but we don't have a store around her that sells it. kind of live in a little hick town in southern mo. lol. but again thanks for all your help. you guys are awesome! :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
probably either the solid gold or the wellness one. we will have to look and see when we get there! :D but i do appreciate all your help. gosh i would have never known this stuff had i not asked. :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok so my husband got talked into buying Bil-Jac dog food and our puppy got sick!!! we are switching her back to science diet. that is what she was on when we got her and she was fine till we changed it on her. and the vet also told us that science diet would be just fine for her. i think we will just have to stick with that. i do appreciate all your help and you have given me some great knowledge on puppy food. but for now we will stick with the science diet. later on we might try something different but for now that is what we will get. stupid bil-jac. gave her gas and the runs. :(

·
Registered
88 Posts
The quality of bil-jac not withstanding, any new food is likely to upset the puppy's stomach. It sometimes takes a while to adjust to new food. You can't just feed for one or two days and expect everything to be perfect. Not that it can't happen, but you shouldn't have that expectation. IMHO

1 - 20 of 20 Posts