Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My akita is about to become pregnant and I was wondering about the best food to feed her. Currently I've been feeding her Acana Sport and Agility, not because she's a sport and agility dog but because of the high protein content in the food. I have to mention that I live in Guatemala, and Acana is the best food available. All the other food available are those super market brands with a lot of garbage in them.

My question is, can I feed her Acana Sport and Agility during her pregnancy or should I switch to Acana puppy food?

Please let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Most of us aren't knowledgable about breeding, or are reluctant to give advice on the matter. What does your mentor say? How about your vet?

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
IMO, this is something any breeder should know and understand before planning a breeding, much less undertaking one. I will say what I do.

First, I am a raw feeder. I do not change ANYTHING until the beginning of the 6th week except to add folic acid. I start folic acid right away. Anecdotal evidence suggests that increasing a bitch's caloric intake before then may contribute to resorption of the litter. I confirm pregnancy by ultrasound around 30 days. At 6 weeks, I begin to add grains, and also increase generally and gradually the amount a bitch is eating, increase organ meat from once a week to twice or so, I add more eggs, and more dairy. I increase feedings from once daily to twice. Once she begins to show, I decrease the amount of the twice daily feedings and add lunch.

Nutritional requirements are much more important and intense post whelping, IMO, than during. A bitch with a large litter will need to eat a COPIOUS amount to keep up with lactation demands. The highest demand is week 3 and 4. During this time bitches need a very concentrated diet high in fat and protein in order to keep up with the nursing demands of the puppies. By the end of the 4th week into the 5th, nursing demand will fall off rather sharply as puppies begin to eat on their own.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts