Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Looking for some food recommendations for a specific case.

Here is some LONG background.

Over the course of the past 9-10 months, Ellie has had sporadic cases, about 1 per month, in which she doesn't want to eat in the morning. No kibble. No treats. Not even her favorites. Three times, she puked up bile in the morning. Each time, her energy was super high, as usual. She wanted to run and play. She just didn't want to eat. Per vet recommendation, I'd give her Zantac or Pepcid, and she'd be ready to eat as early as mid-day, but sometimes not until dinner. She was always hungry at dinner.

Per check-ups on this, the vet feels she's fine except that she might be getting reflux due to an empty stomach overnight. She said that I can try giving her a light snack before bed and/or nightly Pepcid. I tried the snack route, which seemed to work as she went a full two months with no issues. Over the last couple of weeks, however, she started being a bit reluctant about her food in the morning.

Last Thursday, she puked bile in the morning but was fine by mid-day. I decided it was time to go with nightly Pepcid. The next couple of days she ate breakfast fine. Yesterday, however, she didn't want to eat for a few hours again. I'll talk to the vet again. However, I'm thinking I'll try Pepcid AND a bedtime snack. In addition, I think her stomach is irritated from perhaps a few weeks of reflux, which is why she likely had two bad days. I'm giving her Pepcid morning and night for the next few weeks until this heals and then will go to nightly Pepcid.

SO... here's where food comes in. One of the things I did during those good two months was put canned pumpkin in her food. Just in case fiber was an issue. I got lazy and stopped a few weeks ago. Now I'm wondering if somehow the extra fiber was helping keep her reflux at bay. Perhaps by slowing her stomach motility? It's just a theory.

I checked her dog food content, and it only has about 1.5% fiber, which seems very low. It's Hill's Ideal Balance. I know people have a thing about Hill's, but I truly don't have a problem with the Ideal Balance line. Or, at least, I didn't. But I'm just not liking that fiber content. Am I right that it seems low?

So... I want to try something else. The problem is that some of the "richer" foods didn't work at all for Ellie when I tried them earlier in her adulthood. She had the WORST runs on the rich/high protein foods.

I'm not against grains, but I'd like to keep them to things like brown rice and/or oatmeal. I'm willing to spend some $, but I truly don't want to break the bank if it's not necessary.

No Blue Buffalo. Luke was on it, and he had two HORRIBLE issues that I'm convinced were related to the food. I'm not one to be neurotic about these things, but without going into detail (although I could discuss if anyone wants), I'm almost certain it was the food.

Anyone have thoughts on Fromm? I know someone who has a dog on it. I looked it up and there are a few different lines. I'm not clear on the differences. It looks like the fiber content ranges from 3-5% give or take.

Other info. Ellie is a 2-year-old, 35 lb mix. She has a very lean, athletic build. LOTS of energy. She could run and play forever. I suspect some terrier in there, but who knows. I'm fine with keeping her on chicken. I'd rather not move to a different protein if I don't have to as I want to hold others in reserve should she someday develop a protein allergy.

Thank you for your patience in reading all that! And for any suggestions.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Try setting an alarm for the middle of the night and give her a small snack then. I had to feed my dog every 4 hours for a year to cure his morning pukies.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately, that might be trouble. I suffer from severe insomnia. If I wake up at night, it takes me hours to get back to sleep. My poor son also struggles with this, so I can't chance waking him. It's awful.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They sell timed food dispensers. That might work.
Thanks! I'll definitely check that out if the Pepcid, snack and food change don't work. Only issue is we often dogsit, and all dogs sleep in our bedroom. Would be tough to guarantee who gets the food, lol!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Try Fromm Gold and see how she does. Also a small handful (depending on the size of your dog) of kibbles at night, and see if that helps.

I swear by Fromm. Great food.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you! Good to know about Fromm. It's expensive, but not outrageous. How does Gold compare to the others (4 star and classic), if I might ask?

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I've read about dogs puking without eating but never experienced it so I'm no help there.

But as far as food you can try Annamaet as they have grain inclusive chicken in various protein amounts. They have protein from 23% to 32% so you can try which protein may be good for your dog. They also use brown rice, millet and oats.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Another idea would be to vary feeding times. Buster will bile barf if I get too routine about feeding times. Something about being able to anticipate food being given... When timing is varied (doesnt have to be a whole lot, Bus is fed between 6-9am and again between 7-11pm...just what works for us) it doesnt allow for the anticipation to build.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I had a dog who would sometimes puke in the morning so we started to give him a snack at bedtime and it really helped. We also varied mealtimes a bit. If you want the food to last longer you could use a (frozen) kong.

I've used Fromm Gold for several years now (Reduced Activity, Puppy and Adult) and both dogs really liked it. A lot of people really like the 4 star range however my dog reacted badly to the lamb one (constantly licking paws) and I didn't like the really small kibble.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Another idea would be to vary feeding times. Buster will bile barf if I get too routine about feeding times. Something about being able to anticipate food being given... When timing is varied (doesnt have to be a whole lot, Bus is fed between 6-9am and again between 7-11pm...just what works for us) it doesnt allow for the anticipation to build.
I hadn't thought about that. However, that actually works for us and is what usually happens. We tend to be rushed in the mornings with school and work, so we feed her when we get a free moment. That can be anytime between 7 and 8:15. On weekends, we tend to sleep in so it might be even later. After school/work we are all over the place, so she eats anytime between 6 and 8, and if we are out on weekends closer to 9:00. Her bedtime snacks are later, though. I'd wondered if we were too sporadic on feeding, but it actually sounds like that's a good thing?

I had a dog who would sometimes puke in the morning so we started to give him a snack at bedtime and it really helped. We also varied mealtimes a bit. If you want the food to last longer you could use a (frozen) kong.

I've used Fromm Gold for several years now (Reduced Activity, Puppy and Adult) and both dogs really liked it. A lot of people really like the 4 star range however my dog reacted badly to the lamb one (constantly licking paws) and I didn't like the really small kibble.
I had been giving her a snack at bedtime, per the vet's recommendation. I'd thought it was working until recently. So I started giving the Pepcid at bedtime. Since neither on their own seem to be working, I'm thinking I'll do both a snack AND Pepcid and keep my fingers crossed. ;)

So on further research it seems like the Gold has mixed protein sources, while the 4 star and classic are more single meats? Is the classic good? It's cheaper. Not that I'll go cheap for the sake of it. I'm willing to spend more, but if the classic is just as good...?

·
Registered
878 Posts
You could try a larger snack at bedtime to see if that helps.
I can't help with the difference between Fromm Gold and Classic but some stores will let you return food if the dog doesn't like it as long as you have the majority of the bag left. Our local store did that with the Fromm 4 Star - said they donated it to a local pet rescue.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Very good to know. I'd hate to pay money and have to trash it. Nice to know that some donate to a rescue.

I'm trying to look at the differences between the Fromm product lines. I'm wondering why Classic is so much cheaper. If it's pretty much as good, I'd rather get it. But I don't want to skimp at Ellie's expense, of course. Sounds like, at the very least, Fromm is a good brand overall. And it does have the higher fiber, which I think would be good for Ellie.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Everyone has their own preferences when it comes to dog food (I'm in total agreement about the horrors of Blue Buffalo!) but I work on the principle that the best food for my dog is the one that he likes to eat, does well on, and doesn't react to. I actually went with Fromm Gold because the Reduced Activity had more protein than the Classic Mature food, and I've just stuck with it.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Thank you! Good to know about Fromm. It's expensive, but not outrageous. How does Gold compare to the others (4 star and classic), if I might ask?
I used to only feed the $$$$ 4 star line, because grain free was supposedly "best." The dogs and cat did quite well on it. Then we had some financial setbacks (still trying to get out from under, but plugging along, thankfully! I very very very hesitantly switched to the adult Gold (there is a grain free one now, but I use the original grain inclusive one). Annddd... nothing changed! They still looked very lovely, digested the food even better, and enjoyed the taste.

I've got some coupons for science diet at the moment, $5 off, and I'm going to use them/feed it just for a time, I can't say "no" to "free money" at this point, since they also get add-ins and such (canned, fresh, etc) with their meals. BUT, once that's gone, I'll be back to the gold dry and canned for the dogs and cat around here.

My cousin's dog and cat were both puking an awful lot on their previous foods, and she switched to Fromm and her they both have completely stopped puking. So, worth a try.

Let us know how it goes. Oh, the Gold is much more affordable, at $44 bucks for a 33 pound bag on chewy.com

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Everyone has their own preferences when it comes to dog food (I'm in total agreement about the horrors of Blue Buffalo!) but I work on the principle that the best food for my dog is the one that he likes to eat, does well on, and doesn't react to. I actually went with Fromm Gold because the Reduced Activity had more protein than the Classic Mature food, and I've just stuck with it.
Hmm. I hadn't even compared protein levels between the Fromm and her current food. The Fromm Classic has 3% more protein. That could be good. It's not a huge amount higher (Ellie didn't do well on high protein foods), but she is a super energetic dog, so maybe that slight increase would be healthy for her. I'm also happy with the fiber content of the Fromm. Her current one only has 1.7% fiber, which doesn't sound very good with gastric mobility issues.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I used to only feed the $$$$ 4 star line, because grain free was supposedly "best." The dogs and cat did quite well on it. Then we had some financial setbacks (still trying to get out from under, but plugging along, thankfully! I very very very hesitantly switched to the adult Gold (there is a grain free one now, but I use the original grain inclusive one). Annddd... nothing changed! They still looked very lovely, digested the food even better, and enjoyed the taste.

I've got some coupons for science diet at the moment, $5 off, and I'm going to use them/feed it just for a time, I can't say "no" to "free money" at this point, since they also get add-ins and such (canned, fresh, etc) with their meals. BUT, once that's gone, I'll be back to the gold dry and canned for the dogs and cat around here.

My cousin's dog and cat were both puking an awful lot on their previous foods, and she switched to Fromm and her they both have completely stopped puking. So, worth a try.

Let us know how it goes. Oh, the Gold is much more affordable, at $44 bucks for a 33 pound bag on chewy.com
Yeah, I'm not against grains. Maybe it's the old school dog owner part of me, lol! I just want a good, high quality food. It's sounding very much like many dogs do quite well on Fromm. I'm still leaning towards the Classic over the Gold, only because I don't want to change things up TOO much for her, so right now I'd prefer to stick with a single-meat protein (chicken) vs several meats. The Gold line seems like it's a blend of meats. Not sure if that's the right move, but as long as the Classic is a quality food that dogs do well on, I think it might be worth a shot. Sounds like it's hard to go wrong with anything in the Fromm line. I also like their history of safety (knock on wood knock on wood).

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Perhaps losing the pumpkin DID affect something? I don't know, but personally I'd be wary of long term / daily doses of Pepcid as the solution. Temporarily, sure, but there seems to be something else going on here if it's recurring so often. Has the vet done any testing (blood panel, etc.) or was the Pepcid a "let's try this and see" solution?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Perhaps losing the pumpkin DID affect something? I don't know, but personally I'd be wary of long term / daily doses of Pepcid as the solution. Temporarily, sure, but there seems to be something else going on here if it's recurring so often. Has the vet done any testing (blood panel, etc.) or was the Pepcid a "let's try this and see" solution?
Yes, she did have a full check-up and blood panel. All was fine. Seems to be a classic presentation of bilious vomiting syndrome. I completely agree that I don't want Pepcid long term, but it might be necessary now to prevent acidic damage to her stomach if her lining is already irritated. That's why I'm looking to move to a higher fiber food that will hopefully help with preventing gastric irritation and with motility, and then hopefully a late night snack will be enough without medication. Fingers crossed!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts