Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone! Our Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier is 13 weeks old now and we've had him for a little over a month. I have two main concerns:

1. He doesn't seem to be making much progress on housetraining. We can usually avoid accidents by taking him out every half hour to an hour, depending on what he's doing, but he almost never TELLS us he needs to go out. He'll be playing or just walking around, then just squat with little to no warning. He was telling us fairly regularly a week or two ago by pawing at the door, but he seems to have stopped for some reason. We never scold him when he has an accident, we just try to stop it and then take him outside. We always treat for going outside. I've started giving him higher value treats (little pieces of chicken), so I hope that will help a little. I just feel like he should be a bit farther along after over a month, especially since I work from home and so he gets housetraining all day long.

2. I'm wondering how much food we should be feeding him at this point. When we brought him home from the breeder, she said to feed 1/3 cup three times a day, which we've been doing. Now he weighs twice as much (a little over 10 pounds), so I assume he should be eating a good deal more. We tried giving him two cups a day, but it seemed to give him tummy issues (duh, I probably shouldn't have doubled his food up immediately!). We've been giving him about 1 1/2 cups a day now for a few days and he seems fine, but I want to make sure that's enough. The bag says he should be eating 2 cups a day for his age and weight (13 weeks, 10 pounds). Also, if it makes any difference, he was the runt of the litter so he has always been a bit small for his age.

Thank you so much for any advice, you guys have been lifesavers!!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Puppies that young don't have the necessary nerve development to know when they have to pee. At that age, for the puppy, it's "la la la, I'm playing, hey, where is that water coming from?" So, potty training at that age isn't about the puppy, it's about the human. He may have been "alerting" randomly, then once he was outside, hey, why not pee?

He'll get the necessary development at around 6 months or so.

As to food, I don't know. I know for adults the recommended serving sizes are ridiculously huge and would only be suitable for a dog working a flock 10 hours a day, but puppies, I don't know. They have much higher caloric requirements and the results of underfeeding are far worse for puppies than adults. (Adults just get thin, puppies can end up with permanent joint problems, etc.)

Hopefully, one of our more knowledgeable members stops by, but you can always ask your vet.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks, Amaryllis! I know puppies don't have a lot of bladder control, and that it's normal for them to have training relapses... but it's nice to know there's a light at the end of the tunnel :p And yes, I'm trying to get in touch with my vet for her input as well. I forgot to ask her at our last appointment, unfortunately. Thanks again for your help!

Oh, and just a note: he doesn't ever seem like he's hungry after he eats. He's always excited for meals, but he doesn't wimper or go scouting for food anything after he eats, so I have to think he's at least somewhat satiated.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I think 3 months is enough to expect some control, just not perfection. The key (IMO) is reinforcing the "going outside" behavior. Make sure you say "good boy" or whatever the second he starts to go outside. Make much fuss and praise, and give him a treat. Create as many opportunities for him to be reinforced for the desired behavior as possible. Take him out often, more often! Gradually he will get the idea - "why should I waste a pee in the house, when I can get a treat for doing it outside?" THEN he will begin to ask out. (Make sure to reinforce THAT too!)

On the food, I think feeding by "eye" is best. You want a young puppy a little rolly polly but not fat. Ina another month or so, your pup will begin to look lanky with adolescence. Don't try to feed that out of him. Go by how fat the tummy area is. Ask a vet or someone how to evaluate his weight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts