Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have 1 chihuahua that is 4 years old and 1 yr old bichon/yorkie mix.

The chihuahua is getting over weight. We just bought a new house with a fenced in yard. She is getting her exercise. Not sure if we should put her on a special diet. She is a small chihuahua and I have been giving her 1/4 of a cup 2 times a day.

The 1 yr old bichon/yorkie mix has had ear issues and is always scratching at them. She is also biting her paws. I brought her to the veterinarian and he said it could be allergies or an ear infections. Well the medication for her ears never worked.

I have had both of them on Natural Balance small bites Ultra Premium Food (Chicken, Brown Rice, Lamb Meal, Oatmeal, Barley, Potatoes, Carrots). Since I had the 1 year old. I switched both of them to Fromm Surf and Turf which has salmon and duck. chihuahua seems that she gained more weight. The 1 yr old bichon/yorkie is still itching, smelly ears, and biting paws... Any other foods you would recommend? I see natural balance has a sensitive small bite recipe... O and the chihuahua is super picky with food.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hello. I have 1 chihuahua that is 4 years old and 1 yr old bichon/yorkie mix.

The chihuahua is getting over weight. We just bought a new house with a fenced in yard. She is getting her exercise. Not sure if we should put her on a special diet. She is a small chihuahua and I have been giving her 1/4 of a cup 2 times a day.

The 1 yr old bichon/yorkie mix has had ear issues and is always scratching at them. She is also biting her paws. I brought her to the veterinarian and he said it could be allergies or an ear infections. Well the medication for her ears never worked.

I have had both of them on Natural Balance small bites Ultra Premium Food (Chicken, Brown Rice, Lamb Meal, Oatmeal, Barley, Potatoes, Carrots). Since I had the 1 year old. I switched both of them to Fromm Surf and Turf which has salmon and duck. chihuahua seems that she gained more weight. The 1 yr old bichon/yorkie is still itching, smelly ears, and biting paws... Any other foods you would recommend? I see natural balance has a sensitive small bite recipe... O and the chihuahua is super picky with food.
try nature's variety LID ,wellness simple solution ,or merrick how much does the chi weigh i have two a 3.5lb she is 4 years and 7 year old 6lbs.

·
Registered
334 Posts
How long has it been since you made the switch to Fromm?

I'm a huge fan of Fromm, myself --but do realize not every dog does well on every food.

If your dog is still itching on it, he could possibly be allergic to one of the protein sources . Typically chicken is the biggest culprit and then beef, but it's not unheard of for a dog to have a sensitivity to fish or duck.

I have found with it being grain free, you also don't need to feed as much to maintain the dogs weight. I got the impression that the fenced yard is her exercise? If so, some short walks each day, will help maintain her weight. ;) Especially since they are still young.

With all of that being said, there are a few foods that have limited ingredients. California Natural is one--and that can hopefully help you narrow down what your dog may be allergic to.

All of this is assuming the "switch" has been in place long enough to make a difference! Good luck!

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Unfortunately all the Fromm grain frees except Beef Frittata have chicken in them somewhere. Chicken and beef are common allergens only because they are commonly used in dog food. My dogs never actually got beef when they ate kibble so beef was fine for them. If you otherwise like Fromm try the beef. Just feed less to your little one, Fromm is a powerful food and she probably just needs a little less of it.

If you are determined to try other foods then Nature's Variety and Back to Basics both have super simple formulas that are nice and high in protein. Most brands of dog food have simple formulas that have grains in them as well but the other grain free simple kibbles are low protein. There are several very expensive raw type dried foods like Ziwi Peak and Real Meat Pet Food and others that are only meat, organ, bone or calcium plus a binder. Sassy did better on home cooked food than kibble, could try Honest Kitchen or Sojo's or one of the other premixes as they are made an entirely different way. Or go to home cooking or raw, my preference. Either form of fresh food is cheaper than Ziwi Peak or HK for sure.

There is a huge chance that the problem isn't food though. Most allergies are environmental, not food. Sassy was horribly allergic to fleas and licked her feet and itchy thighs, Raymond licked his feet because he was allergic to grass. I rarely saw a flea on Sassy but if she was on flea drops she felt better. Raymond stopped licking his feet when we went on a camping trip where he was just on dirt and he also responded to a simple antihistamine. Full disclosure, Max always was pretty good on any food but he gets full on ear gunk when he gets sardines of all things. Hate that that happens but easy enough to avoid since he eats raw food I make up myself.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Since they're small, I would suggest a raw diet. You can get premade ones and for dogs that size, they'd eat about a 1/4 lb a day, not much at all. There are products you can get that are ground, and they'd do fine with lamb bones etc. and it wouldn't break the bank so to speak to go that route.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
my pug had ear issues....i was cleaning them and medicating them every day, they were so smelly and yeasty.

since he's been fed a raw diet, he no longer has issues.....i clean his ears as a matter of maintenance every two weeks or so....

unless it's sinus weather and no one escapes that.

if you're not full into feeding raw, there are lots of premades that will do the trick and just as easy to feed as kibble.

·
Registered
943 Posts
x3 on the raw suggestion.. wether it be natural (prey model) or a commercial premade that is ground with bones, meat and organs.. financially it would not be much more expensive if at all to feed two small dogs a raw diet than the kibble you are feeding. Its rich in nutrients so they don't need to eat as much. Commercial/premade ground raw meat is extremely convenient and easy to feed. If this is something that would interest you then there is a thread here about Raw feeding you can check out for further info.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts