Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so i have a few questions about food:

- Has anyone had their dog tested for food allergies, and if so what kind of test was it and what did it cost?

- Could a dog that was doing fine on a food suddenly start having problems with it?

- Could swapping to a different protein source trigger bacterial/yeast infections? And then have those issues recur after swapping back to the original food?

My dog was on California Natural (herring and sweet potato) for probably the past four years and has had no issues with it. Until this past year or so when she started developing these sores on her belly that the vet diagnosed as "bacterial infection". Usually i see a sore or two, treat it, and it's gone within a week.

But then a couple of months ago her food was recalled so i had to switch to the only other fish/potato formula i could find on short notice (Natural Balance LID Potato and Fish). Within two weeks the minor infection i was treating spread to pretty much her whole belly, up to her chest, and even around along her back. It had NEVER done that before, and i was even treating it at the time.

Then she developed a double yeast infection in her ears. She was put on meds for both infections and it slowly cleared up. Sort of. I swapped her back to CN the moment it was made available but she still has a few sores on her belly that don't appear to be going away, and she has another yeast infection in one ear.

She also smells. Like, i could bathe her and then in two or three days it's like she rolled in garbage.

What gives? Could me swapping from CN to NB and then back have caused this? Could she be having trouble with fish, now?

If her infection doesn't clear up in the next week using the meds then she is going to the vet for sure, but i want to know if it would be worth it to ask for food allergy testing. And get suggestions for not-too-expensive foods that i might be able to look for.

I know she is sensitive to chicken and/or rice. Whenever we gave it to her before she would chew her feet. I just don't know what to do.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Fish is high in histamines so if she's allergic to something in the environment the fish could be making it worse. I think I'd try a lamb- or beef-based food.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Both NB and CN foods are fish and SWEET potato, not regular potato. With NB there is more fish than in CN so maybe that did it? And in CN the potato is seventh as opposed to first like in NB. Hm.

I was considering lamb or venison next. No poultry or bird of any kind though because she is iffy with chicken. Is there a lamb or venison formula without rice? Because i do know that rice is iffy with her as well - when we fed a bland diet of chicken/rice the one or two times she had tummy issues she chewed her feet. Stopped when we stopped the bland diet. I'm just guessing on that.

Could her age have anything to do with it? She's only six (will be seven next May.)

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
I have a dog who is 7.5. He has had a couple minor ear infections in the last six years. He's had countless since April. No idea what's up. The food he's eaten since April are all foods he's had before. I'm beginning to think its environmental.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Both NB and CN foods are fish and SWEET potato, not regular potato. With NB there is more fish than in CN so maybe that did it? And in CN the potato is seventh as opposed to first like in NB. Hm.

I was considering lamb or venison next. No poultry or bird of any kind though because she is iffy with chicken. Is there a lamb or venison formula without rice? Because i do know that rice is iffy with her as well - when we fed a bland diet of chicken/rice the one or two times she had tummy issues she chewed her feet. Stopped when we stopped the bland diet. I'm just guessing on that.

Could her age have anything to do with it? She's only six (will be seven next May.)
Natural Balance also lists "potato fiber" as an ingredient (http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/product.aspx?ProductId=14), which I'm assuming is white potato.

California Natural Fish and Sweet Potato has grain in it unless you're feeding the grain free Salmon and Peas formula.

I have a westie mix who can't tolerate grains or potatoes (white or sweet). They make her an itchy, yeasty hot mess. She does well on Back to Basics grain free high protein Pork (Back to Basics also has a grain free/potato free pork and beef formula I might try). She was doing well on California Natural Salmon and Peas, but has recently started getting itchy after eating it. She's also allergic to grass, so that doesn't help. Oh, to have a "normal" dog...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts