Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have two German Shepherds both are 1yr and 8 months. At two months they were on eukanuba large breed for puppy. It got expensive! Then Eukanuba German Shepherd brand. It got expensive!! I went to Exceed Performance but alot of people dont recommend that!!! So now Nutro Natural Choice Lamb & Rice. Boy shepherd likes it the girl not to happy!! It is pretty expensive!! I want them to have the best health so we wont have any problems down the road. This tryn food after food and salemen opinions is frustrating. PLEASE HELP!!!!! I spent $2500 each on the dogs and I want the best health possible but reasonable price!!! Its hard to explain!!!!

Dog Food Help ASAP!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Have you ever heard of Chiken Soup For The Dog Lovers Soul (I know dumb name). Its a excellant food and a real good price too. You can get it at feed stores and some specialty pet stores too. Its $35 for 35# (at the feed store, it cost less there).

·
Registered
500 Posts
EVO Red Meat Large Bites. It is cost effective because you end up feeding less food because the food has more nutrients in it, and it is high in protein.

·
Registered
242 Posts
EVO Red Meat Large Bites. It is cost effective because you end up feeding less food because the food has more nutrients in it, and it is high in protein.
Large breed dogs under two years really should not eat evo or similar formulas. Evo themselves admits to that. As for a "cheap" good food, there really is no such thing. You get what you pay for. However, for the dollar Horizon pet foods is pretty good.

I'm confused as to why you spent $2500 on the dogs to own them but you aren't prepared to spend the money to keep them. As you already know i'm sure, that GSD's have such a complicated digestive system and require special health care do to there massive over breeding...how do you plan to do the best for them if you are not prepared to spend $60-$80 on food alone.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Believe me...I know what you're going through. I think I went through pretty much every brand of food at Petco. LOL. I also, have to be somewhat aware of costs when it comes to the brand we choose for them. But I didn't want to sacrifice quality.

Here's a few brands that I have tried and had success with. That are lower in cost.

Purina One Chicken & Rice (Sure its a lower quality food, also has a lower price tag...when my husband was laid off...we used this.) Dogs loved it, solid poo's and shiny coats. Although its not rated well, the results we had were great!

Maxximum (From Walmart) This was a great food, dogs liked it, results were good, but ultimately the Walmart near us always ran out of it, and they only had small bags much of the time.

I have heard that the Costco brand of dog food is really good. Kirklands I believe its called, Sams Club also has a brand of food called Exceed that is supposed to be pretty decent as well.

Currently I am using Dr. Fosters for my two. I love the convenience of it being delivered to my front door. It's 36$ for 30 #'s with shipping. I also signed up for a program that every 10th shipment you get free. I also love the results we've had on this food. Both of their coats are beautifully shiny and soft..and poo's are solid! Can't say enough good things about this brand!

Anyways..hope this helped. Good Luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Like what he said you get what you pay for!!!! You want a good GSD with good traits and blood line you got to pay for it!!!! You must misunderstood I dont mind paying for the food. Im just not a fool to pay $150 a month for food if there is another brand with the same exact ingredients for less money!!!! For example (Why pay $150k for a condo when you can pay $150k for a beautiful home?) (At McDonalds why pay $4 for a big mac when its the same as a $1 double cheese burger which is damn near the same thing?) CJAC&MAC you follow what im saying?

Alot of people say eukanuba isnt what it use to be and should stay away from it. Exceed Performance at Sam's Club is suppose to be 99% equal to Eukanuba!!! Once agian im stuck at a stand still about this food situation. For the last couple of days the dogs are loving the Natural Choice Lamb and Rice but browsing the web Im seeing bad reviews about that brand!

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Have you considered raw feeding or homecooking? Depending on the deals I find, I only spend 75-100 bucks a month for two adult boxers, that is much less than I ever spent on kibble.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Once agian im stuck at a stand still about this food situation. For the last couple of days the dogs are loving the Natural Choice Lamb and Rice but browsing the web Im seeing bad reviews about that brand!
Any brand you want to use, you can find a bad review about it. If your dogs are doing well on a brand (and you know how to evaluate a dog to find out if he's truly doing well) and you're comfortable with the company and ingredients, that's all the "reviews" you need to worry about.

My dogs eat Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul. It's a great food and they do very well on it. Plus it's not expensive (less than $1.00 a pound where I buy it). Canidae is also pretty good and not too pricey. Taste of the Wild is the most affordable grain-free food.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How do you guy's feel about that nutro Natural Choice Lamb & Rice? Or The Exceed Performance? Im debating between those two foods right now

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
I've been using Exceed Performance for one of my dogs (I have a hard time keeping weight on him in the winter, and he's not allergic to corn like the other dogs are). He's doing fine.

OK, I looked up the ingredients on Natural Choice......looks like the Exceed has more meat in it. The Nutro doesn't have corn gluten meal, that's a plus. I would say they're about equal. It just depends which one your dogs do best on.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Well, I only spent $250 or less (some were even free!) on my dogs (except my race dogs and they are fed a mix of raw meat and, probably, purina hi-pro...whatever the racing kennel and farm are feeding). Anyway....even though my pets didn't cost a bunch of money, I still want to feed 'em good food. KWIM. In my opinion, the best food for the money is Diamond Naturals <any variety>. If you have a Costco membership, the Kirkland brand food is pretty much the same thing as Diamond Naturals. On the plus side, Diamond brand is available at a lot of locations, including Tractor Supply...and most feed stores carry it around here. The Chicken Soup brand used to be formulated the same...not sure if it still is...you'd have to check the labels.

Anyway...Diamond Naturals runs about $24/40lb bag and the ingredient list is good. Diamond makes varieties such as high performance or whatever that aren't from their Naturals line...I wouldn't feed any of the other. Look for Diamond Naturals on the bag.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Well, I only spent $250 or less (some were even free!) on my dogs (except my race dogs and they are fed a mix of raw meat and, probably, purina hi-pro...whatever the racing kennel and farm are feeding). Anyway....even though my pets didn't cost a bunch of money, I still want to feed 'em good food. KWIM. In my opinion, the best food for the money is Diamond Naturals <any variety>. If you have a Costco membership, the Kirkland brand food is pretty much the same thing as Diamond Naturals. On the plus side, Diamond brand is available at a lot of locations, including Tractor Supply...and most feed stores carry it around here. The Chicken Soup brand used to be formulated the same...not sure if it still is...you'd have to check the labels.

Anyway...Diamond Naturals runs about $24/40lb bag and the ingredient list is good. Diamond makes varieties such as high performance or whatever that aren't from their Naturals line...I wouldn't feed any of the other. Look for Diamond Naturals on the bag.
Sorry, a little off topic, but what is KWIM?

To the OP, I think what people are sayingis that these foods like Chicken Soup are good quality foods and the price is reasonable. I know it's a pain deciding which food is best but just choose the one your dogs do the best on. If they're active, their coats are shiny and their eyes are bright, then that's a good sign. Check out one of the stickys at the top of this forum about grading your dog food and grade the Exceed and the Nutro accordingly and see which one comes out with the higher score. THat may help you decide. What you're looking for is good quality animal proteins - the protein should come mainly from animals, like chicken, turkey, beef, etc, not corn, wheat or soy. No by products. There should be animal protein in the first five ingredients, preferably the first three.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
In my opinion, the best food for the money is Diamond Naturals <any variety>. If you have a Costco membership, the Kirkland brand food is pretty much the same thing as Diamond Naturals. On the plus side, Diamond brand is available at a lot of locations, including Tractor Supply...and most feed stores carry it around here.
Oh, I forgot about Diamond Naturals. I agree, it's a good mix of quality and price. About the same price as Exceed Performance where I buy it, and it is higher quality (no corn, wheat, or soy, or by-products). Chicken Soup I would say is one step above Diamond Naturals.

I wish there was a Costco in the area :( .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts