Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a few weeks ago about our 6-year-old Standard Poodle acting very aggressively mean toward our new puppies.

As an update, she is playing VERY well with them. If they try to eat out of her dish while she is eating, she will give a mild growl to let them know that's not good manners, but otherwise is just wonderful with them.

EXCEPT when we are all piled on the bed or the sofa. Then the fangs come out. That aspect is not getting any better; in fact I think it's getting worse and I'm concerned it's going to ruin these little puppies' personalities.

I came across this video today that is a perfect example of how our older dog acts:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4egfTj8Dcds

At first I was relieved that another Poodle owner has this problem, but then I started reading the comments... for example:

"Maybe he's physically hurting somewhere, if he wasn't abused."

"Poodles are smart dogs, shame this one is with ignorant people..... "

"Poodle is a marvelous breed, it's sad to see people turn it into a monster... "

Even though this isn't my poodle in the video, it hurts to read comments like these... I know our Poodle has NEVER been abused or mistreated in any way and has only known a life full of love. She's not in any pain, and only acts this way when the puppies approach the bed or sofa (when she's on it). She is loving and sweet and smart and affectionate (even when playing with the puppies outdoors etc.).

On the thread I posted about this before, it was recommended that we hire a behaviorist ASAP. I would LOVE to do that, but we are building a fence (to keep the puppies safe), which is draining every penny of our savings (it's going to cost thousands... and please don't suggest an invisible fence; we refuse to do that). I know this problem is a biggie, but our dogs' safety is most important... they are high energy and need a safe place to play in addition to their daily walks).

We have tried giving Dixon a treat and heaps of praise when we put the puppies on the bed and she doesn't react. I tried putting her in a "time out" (alone in the bathroom) for about 30 seconds when she started being vicious, but that seems cruel to me. Any other ideas? or should we put the fence on hold so we can afford a behaviorist?

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Your dog is resource guarding. NILIF, treats, timeouts are all part of the tools to deal with it. Get over the it's cruel part. It's training - they're dogs. What would be really cruel is having her bite the puppies and then giving one of them up.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the suggestions... Mudra, we introduced them in the breeder's front yard, thinking that would be neutral territory for them to first meet. We did NOT want to bring a strange puppy in to our home and have them meet there for the first time.

Our thinking was that we would see who Dixon warmed up to most, and that would be our puppy. Well, she wagged her tail at the puppies, until they started trying to play with her, then she growled and withdrew. We ended up falling in love with two of the puppies rather than one, and since Dixon didn't give us any hints as to which ones she liked best, we went home with the two that my husband and I connected with.

Interestingly, she seems to pick on the black puppy more than the white one. We jokingly wonder if she picks on him because she thinks we want him to "take over" as the black doggie of the family (since Dixon is black too)... she gives the white one a ton more leeway about everything.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
We just recently added Xena to our family as well. I have had Cain & Abel eversince they were 8 weeks old (they are also littermates!). They met Xena when she was still at her fosterhome. Its a long story, but to sum it up, I had no idea, Xena was already adopted by my DH. I thought we were just there to attend our friend's dog adoption drive, I didn't know DH was already trying to introduce Xena to her brothers. Which worked pretty well. Xena was fostered in our friends DOGGY DAYCARE and the boys had been there a few times before they first met. So IT was a neutral ground for all of them.

Puppies do tend to push the older dogs with their "high energy". :D When Xena came home, her puppy pass was immediatly put to use and up until now, the boys are still giving her the chance to enjoy her puppy pass by simply ignoring her when she is being obnoxious. She barks in their faces constantly and the boys just let her get away with things. They do snap at her when she is becoming too much. But its more the "BACK OFF" type of snapping. They are officially Xena's oversized chew toys.

Try not to favour the puppies too much. I'm guilty of such crime. Xena being the only girl and a puppy. But I've learned to be fair with all of them and give them all individual attention. I have since stopped Xena from obnoxiously barking at her brothers faces. This little girl is now learning PROPER behaviour with her brothers. I let them all playfight but I immediately put a stop once I start feeling uncomfortable with their play. I dont do crate/seclusion time outs. I just put whoever is obnoxious on DOWN STAYS until they are calm enough to play again. If my older dogs are showing a little too stressed by their little sister's energy, I let them outside to relax and I keep Xena inside with me. It rarely happens, lucky for me, they all seem to get along just fine.

Food wise, I dont tolerate even minor aggression, even if it may seem that the eating dog is just making the puppies back off. It can escalate to something else, so I try to nip it in the bud. I run a home daycare and its something I cant risk. I make them all eat beside each other at the same time and I dont let them bowl surf until everyone is finish. Then they are free to sniff the bowls.

There's also a lot of nightmare stories about LITTERMATES. But if you know how to do it right, its not really a nightmare at all. :D Enjoy your puppies! They grow up wayyyy too fast!

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Aww, I love hearing about your crew and am glad to know a lot of Dixon's behavior is normal! I'm definitely trying to give her the same amount of attention and affection as always (if not more)... this afternoon, one of the puppies grabbed her favorite dolly (it had been her brother's... he passed away two years ago and that doll had been his, and we know it reminds her of him) and started chewing on it. I took it from the puppy and replaced it with a different toy, and explained "This is Dixon's dolly" and gave it to Dixon. She looked up at me with such a grateful look in her eyes and a tail wag... it warmed my heart that she knows I'm looking out for her. :)

Oh, after I posted this, the puppies were tussling like crazy, and Dixon was just watching them. I petted her and laughed, "Those boys are crazy, aren't they?" She smiled and wagged her tail, as if we were joking together about how wild the puppies are. I think this will work out just fine... as long as we get these last few kinks worked out! :)

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
If it is only happening on the bed or sofa...Id eliminate that all together.. I used to allow my dogs on the furniture before my family structure changed.. But I started seeing signs that it is in the best interest of the dogs to stay on the ground..rather than creating a heirarchy over who gets to sit closest to me.

I miss having a dog on the sofa.. Instead.. I go down to them and it works out just fine..Not to mention the fact that dirty paws almost never make thier way onto my furniture now.:D

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
I only let my dogs up on the furniture if I invite them, by name. It is mine, not theirs to enjoy at will or to guard for that matter. It comes in handy as a reward and a punishment, lol:) If one dog is doing good or does a command and the other doesn't, I let the good on up for a bit . . . the next time around the other is usually all to eager to be obedient.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Aww, I love hearing about your crew and am glad to know a lot of Dixon's behavior is normal! I'm definitely trying to give her the same amount of attention and affection as always (if not more)... this afternoon, one of the puppies grabbed her favorite dolly (it had been her brother's... he passed away two years ago and that doll had been his, and we know it reminds her of him) and started chewing on it. I took it from the puppy and replaced it with a different toy, and explained "This is Dixon's dolly" and gave it to Dixon. She looked up at me with such a grateful look in her eyes and a tail wag... it warmed my heart that she knows I'm looking out for her. :)

Oh, after I posted this, the puppies were tussling like crazy, and Dixon was just watching them. I petted her and laughed, "Those boys are crazy, aren't they?" She smiled and wagged her tail, as if we were joking together about how wild the puppies are. I think this will work out just fine... as long as we get these last few kinks worked out! :)
Actually everything belongs to you, part of NILIF.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts