Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chloe is 5.5 months old. Several months ago a littermate developed folded ears.
Last week Chloe came down with the attached. It is only once in a while and straightens out easily enough.

Is it a folded ear?
Is it likely to get worse or go away?

Google says it is associated with teething, but the vet says she is done with that.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Ears can do wonky things during teething. She probably has all her adult teeth, but they might not be "set" yet. If you are super concerned, an experienced show person would probably be able to show you how to tape them.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ears can do wonky things during teething. She probably has all her adult teeth, but they might not be "set" yet. If you are super concerned, an experienced show person would probably be able to show you how to tape them.
Just wondering what to expect. While it isn't attractive, i can't see taping them. That can't be pleasant.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
The teething process usually isn't complete until 6 months of age. Ears can do wonky things during teething, so it may fall back into place if her earset was 'normal' when she was younger.

That being said, I taped my dog's ears to lay in a good natural set through teething because I very much dislike 'flying nun' ears, and asymmetry. Taping isn't all that unpleasant, but there's a small window of opportunity during which it is effective. So if you don't tape now, you will not be able to change your mind later if you decide you don't like her ears being uneven.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I taped Atlas' ears when he was teething as well. He has a potential show career, but I likely would have done it anyway for the same reasons as Hiraeth. He wasn't the biggest fan, but after the first five minutes or so he seemed to forget about the tape and it sure didn't slow him down from wrestling! I'm sure part of his reluctance was my less than stellar ability to get the tape on in an efficient manner, haha. I believe I only ended up taping his ears for a few days that time, and possibly another couple later on (which was likely me being more paranoid than anything).

So, her ears may go back to normal on their own, or if you're ok with which direction they may end up flying, it is definitely your call. But taping isn't that difficult or overly unpleasant for them either.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts