Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, went to the first class today and it was with no dogs. I didn't know it was with no dogs, so Chloe stayed in the car. The class is going to be pretty good, it's Clicker Training and Shaping. Tonight we talked about each other, our dogs, likes, dislikes, what the dogs like for fun, what the one thing we really like about our dog, and more. Then after the talking, we went into the main room and the trainer brought out her dog and did a couple demos of what she wants the class to work with between now and next Friday. It's mostly targeting. Nell and Betty do great with it, but it's going to be a challenge with Chloe. I've been trying with her for a while, and she's just not catching on. Will have to try something different.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
Sounds like an excellent class. Focusing on the handlers too and not just the dog. So many people think when they go for training that it is just for the dog and not the person holding the leash.

Good luck with Chloe and I cant wait to hear stories of her progress when she does "get it" :)

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well, we went to the 2nd class and it was great. I think it's something that Chloe is really going to benefit from. We started the class with some focus work, where she got clicks and treats for looking at my eyes. When we were done with that, we then worked on walking nicely on leash by clicking and treating for correct position. If she moved ahead or behind, she didn't get clicked, but as soon as she hit the right spot next to me, she got clicked and treated. We did this for a while.

When we finished that, we then moved onto working with an object. They had some Agility equipment out like planks on the floor, the pause table, the shoot without the sock, a tunnel, some jumps, hoops, the tire jump, and more. The trainer wanted each person to pick an object and start shaping any particular behavior that you want the dog to do. We picked the plank on the floor. Chloe wasn't quite sure what to do, she would just sit and stare at me, lol. I would try and lure her, but she just kept staring at me, lol. This is what we've been having to work on and was hoping that this class would benefit her to start thinking on her own. It's going to be tough, seems like she's got a lot of experience being lured, lol, and won't do anything on her own.

Other things we got to work on is Sit and Down. The trainer saw that we were having some difficulty, as Chloe seems more comfortable standing. So this is something we need to work more on at home as well. Once this hurdle is conquered, then I know she'll be ready for her CGC test.

We also got to check her recall as well. We all lined up along the wall, and each handler got to do a recall test, one handler at a time. Chloe did good with it, but the trainer had to hold her as she didn't stay. She was interested in getting back to me, as well as interested in the other dogs, lol. Didn't know what direction she would go, lol. But she came straight to me. She's usually very good with her recall with no distractions, and this was a good test for her with about 6 other dogs in the room. She did pretty good.

Well, we got home now and the girls all got a treat, a RAW Rib each. They worked in them for the last hour or so, and now Chloe is on the couch with me cuddling. She's an awsome girl, probably the most relaxed of the 3. Maybe it's because she's the oldest as well, lol. But anyways, can't wait til next week. Got some homework to work on this week, will do some work over the weekend with her, then in the evenings. Overall, very good class.

Edit:
The trainer really liked Chloe. She said she really didn't realize how big she was til she got there, lol. Her comment was, "Boy, she really is big", lol. She said that she thinks Chloe looks a lot like Lassie, lol.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Sounds like a great class for both of you! Lots of great things to be practicing! Focus work was introduced in our last class but we didn't go too far into depth, but I've been working on it with Bentley at home and I'm looking for a class centered around focus work.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, we had class again tonight and had a blast. We started out by warming up, doing lots of heeling, turns, etc, all with the dog having eye contact. Chloe is getting really, really good. She had a blast. Then we worked with different objects. Using shaping, we were trying to get Chloe to get on a box. She wouldn't go on the box. So we were just clicking and treating her targeting the box. Then we tried a skateboard. She wouldn't get on it either. We then tried the mini teeter, and she did good with it. Then tried the skateboard again, and no go. We then went back to a box, and finally got her front paws on the box. Then all of a sudden, she jumped up on it and sat, lol. She got the jackpot for that one, lol. Overall, we had a great night. Really worked on her focus. Now for her Rally, she just needs to work on her left turns and left pivot, as well as her stays and downs. Now that the weather has warmed up, we can work on that as well. It's going to be lots of fun.

Tomorrow I'll be dogwalking again, going to take all 3 dogs to the park for a nice long walk. It will be about 4 miles each way. Remmy is cool, he gets along great with both Nell and Chloe. They are all best buddies, and enjoy the walks together. Can't wait to do it. But in the morning I have a Show and Go to go to, for Obedience and Rally. Taking both Nell and Chloe to it. Going to be fun.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, today we went out to a friend of mines house and the girls had a blast. We played lots of frisbee, and they had some toys as well. And we got Nell to go up to him as well, and he pet her a few times. And when he played frisbee with her, she would bring it right up to him and drop it at his feet. She doesn't even do that with me, lol. She makes me walk 3 or 4 steps to pick it up, lol. Then they took us up the hill to a natural spring where there's some goldfish that had a bunch of babies. We got to ride in the back of their truck. It was the girls first time riding in the back of a truck and they loved it. I thought for sure they would jump out, but they didn't. Nell really liked it, lol. She was all smiles and having a blast. Overall, we had an outstanding day.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, this weekend has been going really good. Friday night we went to Chloe's Focus First class, and she did very well. Her loose leash walking is excellent, and now working on trying to get her more operant, or trying things on her own. We set up some PVC shaped into a square, and was clicking any movement towards the square, and eventually the end result was her being in the square. She did ok on it, she's really slow at picking things up, lol. We also got to work with tunnels. I thought for sure Chloe would turn away from it, lol, but she shot right through, lol. Had no problems with her and the tunnels, lol. And she loves the jumps, but I try to limit it, as she does tend to favor her front right shoulder after a short while. Also another reason I don't have her in Agility, have her in Rally instead.

Then on Saturday we went to her Rally class. A friend was over for the weekend, so he came along and had a lot of fun as well. After we got done with class, my trainer invited him and his dog to try the course. They had fun. We also did some work with jumps and weave poles. Chloe loved it.

Here's Chloe's video that my friend took...

[GOOGLEVIDEO]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6500662581679235929[/GOOGLEVIDEO]

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I think she did good, she didn't show any fright of jumping or weaving and she was pretty well focused on you!

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
She actually loves the jumps. And she seems to love tunnels in her Focus class as well. And for the weaves, she likes them too, but is still learning. She'll catch on pretty quickly though, and I can phase out the luring in the weaves.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We actually aren't doing Agility with her, so no teeter. It's just a Focus class, and she just keeps out some of the Agility things for the dogs to do, but no dog walks or teeters. Just things like tunnels, jumps, pause tables, etc.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, we had class tonight and Chloe did very well. We started with a warmup by walking on a loose leash, sits, downs, fast pace, slow pace, etc. Just things at random. Once class started, we worked with a PVC box laying on the floor, clicked any movement towards and into the box. Chloe did pretty good tonight. Then we worked on a ladder that was laying on the floor. It was like Chloe knew exactly what we wanted, and she walked from one end to the other, lol. I requested this one tonight, as I wanted to see how well Chloe knew where her rear feet are, and she did perfect.

Once we were done with these, we then did some walking around the room with sits. Chloe was perfect with this. Then the trainer stopped everyone and started working with some Stays. Chloe did perfectly. And for the returning to the dog, she did well with both returning to her side, as well as walking to her on the other side and walking around behind her, then back to her side. Usually she would move when walking behind her, but she didn't budge tonight, she stayed like she knew exactly what to do now. It was very good. Then finally worked with the recalls, which Chloe does really well with.

After this, we then started doing some fun stuff. We got to do tunnels next. We were by the big tunnel, which was stretched out and curved, and the trainer asked if we should straighten it out or if I thought Chloe would be fine with it. I told her last week Chloe took off without me and hit the tunnels like a rocket, lol. So she left it, as Chloe has never done it curved, but straight she did it last week just fine. And as usual, Chloe took off without me and hit the tunnel hard and fast, lol. She loved it. After a few runs with me, and the GSD that was in my group, we then added the tire jump, which Chloe has never done. They wanted me to lure her through, but I said that I'm confident that she will do it fine as she knows what the Jump command is. So I took her off leash, walked her in a circle, then ran up to the jump and said Jump, and she went through, then I said Tunnel, and she ripped through the tunnel, lol. She's a natural, lol. We had so much fun with it. And the trainer was really impressed as well. But it's because of Chloe's Rally training, after that class, we would then work on some jumps for fun before going home, as well as the weave poles.

Then the trainer asked if Chloe would be willing to help the Australian Shepherd with her issues for a few minutes, as she knew Chloe was one that wouldn't try to lunge or pull towards the other dog, and I said no problem. The Aussie had issues of trying to lunge at other dogs. So the trainer had me stand with Chloe, and she said I can let Chloe do whatever she wanted, whether it's sitting beside me or in front of me, and she had the other handler walk her Aussie by us at a short distance. Then she had her walk closer, and then closer, clicking any calm behavior. We got to within 3 feet with no lunging or issues, and she rewarded the Aussie heavily and we stopped. We ended it on a very solid Positive Note, and rewarded heavily. So that was good. As for the other dogs in the class, they would have not worked out so well, and the GSD has some of the same issues as well. But Chloe was the most stable dog in the class, so we were picked to help. It was fun. Next week is the last week for the class, and we may do it again.

And that was it for the night. We had a really good evening at class, and I was really happy with how Chloe is coming along. She's the star of the class, lol.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I took Chloe to her Rally class. She did very well again. We have been working on some of the Rally Advanced courses. She just needs to work on her Downs and any of the Left Turns and Left Pivots. She does all the other things just fine. She did really well in class. Then after class, we came home and picked Nell up and went to Cashmere to a friends ranch to play frisbee. We had a lot of fun, but then ran into trouble. Nell stepped on a wasp and got stung. My friends knew what to do, they got the Benedryl and their phone and called the emergency vet. The vet said for her weight, to just give her 1 Benedryl, and if she starts getting any excessive swelling or labored breathing, to bring her in ASAP. But she had no issues, and the Benedryl made her drowsy for a little bit, but within 30 minutes, wanted to get back to frisbee, lol. But we waited on the frisbee for a while. A little later, we did a little more frisbee with them to tire them out more, and then came home. They are now both crashed, lol. Nell is on the sofa and Chloe is on the cool linoleum floor in the dining room, lol. I really wore them out, lol.

We have one more week of Chloe's class at the kennel club, then she will be back down to just 1 class. We didn't do Nell because she couldn't do Agility I due to my work hours. They changed the class times for the next time, so Nell will be starting back up, she will be going to Agility I now. Can't wait, she did the Agility Foundations 2 times and had a blast. Now we will actually be working on the equipment. I want her to get used to the teeter, as that's the one she needs the most work on. As long as she doesn't do the teeter first, she's fine with the A-Frame and the Dog Walk. But if she does the teeter first, which she jumps off of usually, she won't do the dog walk or the A-Frame. She does everything else just fine. We also need to work on the chute as well, she usually doesn't go through it. But the tunnels, she lights them on fire, lol. But I still think Chloe hits them a bit harder and faster, lol. I'm also going to get some stakes for the PVC pipes so I can make my own weave poles and practice with both girls. Would like both of them to do it. Nell also weaves between the legs as well, she's really, really good at it, lol. I'm glad to be able to get Nell back into training. She's probably enjoyed the break, but she will be really excited to get back to class, as she loves going to the Kennel Club. Going to have a lot of fun.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, we had a pretty good day today. We started the day out by going to the park to play frisbee. We did this for a while, then went on a nice long walk before I had to go to work. We also got to meet some friends as well. Then we came home and I had to go to work, and came home for lunch to let the girls out for potty and play. Then back inside for the rest of work, and then out again. After dinner, we went to Hydro Park to play frisbee. But Chloe had other plans, lol. She saw 3 guys playing catch with a football, lol. The frisbee no longer was of any interest and she took off to play with them, lol. They didn't mind her being there, lol. And they also complimented on how nice looking she is, lol. She had a blast. As for Nell, her eyes were only focused on frisbee, lol. It was so much fun. Also, when Chloe was playing frisbee, I would throw it towards the river and she would catch it. But instead of coming back to me, she headed down the hill to the river, lol. Can't win for anything, lol. Footballs are funner than frisbee. The river is funner than frisbee, lol. We had a blast. The important thing is they are happy, lol.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts