Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got a Lab from a family member over a week ago and I didn't notice at first, but while he is eating or running hard, he starts foaming at the mouth. It reminds of one of those cartoons of 'mad dogs'. I asked a family member about it this morning and she said he has always done that.
I've never seen anything like it and was wondering if this can be normal or something wrong.
He has plenty to drink, I always make sure I have a full bowl of fresh water for him. He's not eating too fast or I think too much, 1 1/2 cups twice a day and training treats at 85lbs.
I took him to the vet last week for rabies and license. I was told he was fine on rabies when I got him, but I had no proof and he had no license that they could find. I could not get a new license without it.
I didn't notice the foaming when I took him in, but the vet said he looked great besides having some dirty ears and had me switch him from Natural Choice to Evo.
He's an active dog, mellow but plays hard when he does and loves to run around our property (2-3 acres) with a 1-2 mile walk each evening.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Yeah, it's fine. There's a dog at the dog park I go to who "foams" at the mouth and the poor owner always has to tell everyone "he just has a lot of saliva, he doesn't have rabies!"

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
There's a labradoodle at the dog park who does that. His owner carries a towel around and reassures everyone it's not rabies.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts