Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First thing's first, Mia has a forever home. Not to brag but(who am I kidding) they say that I did an amazing job training her and the love her to pieces.:D

Kaki and I will be moving to Denver on March 7th so I need any and all advice. We'll be flying united so the cabin is heated and pressurized. I've been reading all their pet related pages and I'm in the process of booking my flight/reserving a spot for Kaki. One thing I don't understand about the crate requirements is the 1" spacer bar around the crate. What is that?
Also Kaki only has rabies and distemper. Other than the health certificate, should I be worried about anything else? They also recommend that I carry a leash with me. Should I take a certain kind?
I've also heard mention of padlocking the door of the crate so that pets can't be stolen but the airline states that I need an easy open door and food/water bowls in the crate. Too lock or not to lock? Should I take a lock with me and ask the people checking my baggage?
They also require absorbent material in the bottom such as newspaper. A small camping blanket should suffice, right?
I'm just a smidge paranoid...Guidance please!

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
All airline-approved carriers should have proper spacing already. If you make your own crate, spacing bars would be necessary. They're to prevent the crate from getting so surrounded by other cargo that the dog doesn't get enough air.

Zip tie all around the carrier. If there are places to put bolts, use some bolts and some zip ties (mostly bolts). If the carrier has quick latches, there should be a place to put the zip ties under the latches. I don't know the rules about zip tying the door. But if they allow it, it would be a good idea. Since you're only going halfway across the country, not overseas, I see no reason they should go into the carrier (if you're going overseas, they have to feed and water your pet at least once in 24 hours).

Rabies and Distemper (only distemper? Or the distemper combo?) and Parvo vaccines are plenty. If the vet gives you a health certificate, there shouldn't be any problem, since you're just moving within the U.S.

Carrying a slip lead would probably be best, so you could just slip it over her head and not fiddle with her collar. Keeping her collar on her in the crate is risky....but you have to balance that with the need for I.D. Is she microchipped?

I would use puppy housetraining pads for the bottom of the crate. A blanket could get messy.

It's only going to be for a few hours, right? Shouldn't be too dramatic. St. Louis to Denver isn't too bad.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All airline-approved carriers should have proper spacing already. If you make your own crate, spacing bars would be necessary. They're to prevent the crate from getting so surrounded by other cargo that the dog doesn't get enough air.

Zip tie all around the carrier. If there are places to put bolts, use some bolts and some zip ties (mostly bolts). If the carrier has quick latches, there should be a place to put the zip ties under the latches. I don't know the rules about zip tying the door. But if they allow it, it would be a good idea. Since you're only going halfway across the country, not overseas, I see no reason they should go into the carrier (if you're going overseas, they have to feed and water your pet at least once in 24 hours).

Rabies and Distemper (only distemper? Or the distemper combo?) and Parvo vaccines are plenty. If the vet gives you a health certificate, there shouldn't be any problem, since you're just moving within the U.S.

Carrying a slip lead would probably be best, so you could just slip it over her head and not fiddle with her collar. Keeping her collar on her in the crate is risky....but you have to balance that with the need for I.D. Is she microchipped?

I would use puppy housetraining pads for the bottom of the crate. A blanket could get messy.

It's only going to be for a few hours, right? Shouldn't be too dramatic. St. Louis to Denver isn't too bad.
I was planning to have her microchipped when we get the health certificate. The flight itself is only about an 1 1/2 hours but we need to get there uber early. I've put new bolts in all the holes. I'll bring a couple zip ties in the event that they do allow me to zip tie the lock. I don't know why they insist on bowls if they also require you to sign something saying that the animal has been fed and watered within four hours of departure. I suppose it's in case of emergency. I'll get a couple special crate bowls just to be safe. My biggest paranoia right now is that we're going to get there and they'll find something missing or inadequate. That would be a load of money spent with no hope for a refund.

Her current crate meets all the requirements but it's sort of beaten up. We fixed the door so that it opens and closes properly(the last owners kicked it in). However, some rust has built up on the door and the remaining old bolts. How picky are they? I was considering selling it with her wire crate and buying a brand new one just to be safe. Should I?

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
If you have any doubts about the crate, best to buy a new one. Better safe than sorry.

·
Banned
749 Posts
Read before flying a dog

If you decide to take your dog on any flight in the cargo hold then I would use zip ties if they allow them or not. It is your dog and not there dog. They could always cut the zip ties if they needed to. What if the dog was to get out of the crate in flight?. The first thing you know is the plane lands cargo hold opened then a dog comes running out. This actually happened with a show dog at the Newark Airport only to never find the dog.

If it were me I would drive there. I drove from California to New Jersey when I moved back here in 2000 with Mugsy my cat riding in the back. I even slept in the back (Huge wagon) every night except the last night. Mugsy arrived safe and sound and he is still alive today.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't have a car nor do I plan to own one as much as I'd prefer to drive out there with her. This is my only option so try not to freak me out more than I already am.
We'll be going to have Kaki fitted out for a new crate this week. Every nook and cranny will be inspected. I will bring zip ties with us to the airport.

·
Banned
749 Posts
I don't have a car nor do I plan to own one as much as I'd prefer to drive out there with her. This is my only option so try not to freak me out more than I already am.
We'll be going to have Kaki fitted out for a new crate this week. Every nook and cranny will be inspected. I will bring zip ties with us to the airport.
Other option would be a one way car rental. Might be worth looking into figuring the cost of the flight for yourself and your dog. You might come out about the same. Then again you might not but it might be worth looking into.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Grr!:mad:
This is positively infuriating! I've been calling all night to made reservations for kaki. I call one number and they give me another number to call. The new number I call gives me the previously dialed number.

Other option would be a one way car rental. Might be worth looking into figuring the cost of the flight for yourself and your dog. You might come out about the same. Then again you might not but it might be worth looking into.
Around here, you must be 25 to rent a car. I'm 20.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts