Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there! I have a few questions about flying with a puppy. My family and I are returning to our home country for a month, and I don't trust anyone else taking care of my puppy during our vacation; so most likely he will come with us. We are flying with a reputable airline called EVA, so I'm sure they will take good care of the puppy during the flight. I checked their website about flying with dogs, and it only said, "Kennel or container must be made of rigid plastics material which can provide a strong packing during the carriage." and "Designed for air transportation, including handling and care, e.g., feeding, watering, cleaning, etc., ensuring that the animal is comfortable without risk of it injuring or causing discomfort to personnel responsible for its safe transit."

We already bought a folding metal crate for my puppy when we adopted him, and in my opinion, it is very sturdy. Can I use my metal crate for the air flight? Or is a plastic crate a must have?
Thank you. :)

·
Registered
306 Posts
I would not put a puppy on a plane unless I could take them in the cabin with me- I have done that several times but for that you need a sherpa bag- it is soft sided and will fit underneath the seat.
How large is the puppy?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He's a large puppy, lab mix. He has been on a plane before, since he was shipped to me by the foster mom. I have considered dog kennel boarding, but it's a bit expensive as it adds up .. ($700 or so for 30 days).

·
Registered
78 Posts
I agree with bfoster in that if your puppy can fit under the seat I'd do that. If you're puppy is too big you'll need to get another crate. I don't know that airline but all the ones I've taken need the hard plastic crate.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
EVA looks like they fly mostly to southeast Asia. I'd check the quarantine restrictions before I went ANYWHERE with tihs plan.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Check quarentine restrictions before taking the pup.
If you take him , get a properly sized plastic airline crate for him since that's what the airline asks for.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I am actually shipping one of my girls out today so here goes....You need a FAA approved PLASTIC dog crate they must be able to sit and turn around without being restricted.You must have live animal stickers on all sides,you must have the food water dishes that attach to the cage.You must have your pet up to date on shots (esp rabies) and you must have a health certificate from your vet saying that you pet is healthy.Then you had better check with the quarantine laws in your country as almost everyone has them and they are strict about that.

Check the heat requirements by calling the airline, some airlines are not shipping if it is over 75 degrees (for that day not at the time of shipping)for domestic flights in the USA the only one without restrictions as far as I found out is Continental Airlines (because they transport the dogs in heated or air conditioned vans between flights.The other airlines leave your dogs on the tarmac in open top baggage things

Remember price for shipping is done by weight and destination.

Honestly I would hire someone or board him you are most likely going to spend over $700 to ship him there and back.My girl that's flying out and back to be bred is going to be around $650 (and she and the crate are 20lbs)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts