Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm visiting family for Christmas, and am being sent home with a pup. The pup is small enough to travel with me in the cabin (in a soft-side carrier), and I've already gotten him added to my ticket.

It's a long trip - a four hour flight, then a four hour layover, then another four hour flight. Sea-Tac does have an area for traveling animals to eliminate, but am I correct in thinking that I shouldn't expose an 10 week old pup to a high-traffic dog area, even though he's had his first jabs?

I would welcome suggestions for how to keep a pup happy, healthy and clean on such a journey.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've already been told ice cubes instead of liquid water, which I thought was clever!

·
Registered
17,913 Posts
Buy a small pack of puppy pads - you can get 5 for a dollar at a dollar tree. Put those down over the elimination areas for the pup.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Puppy pads! I would even take carrier and pad into the plane bathroom and lay a pad on the floor if needed. Puppy won't go anywhere in that tiny space with the door closed. But I would not let the puppy touch the ground in the plane or airport. I don't necessarily think a short adventure around a general waiting area is lethal (more that I don't think it's necessary), but I certainly would steer clear of the designated potty areas. This might sound totally stupid but I feel like I would bring a folded 'packet' of cardboard panels or something to make a small portable pen that can fit a potty pad... So that I can do quick and secure potty breaks without worrying about the pup wandering off or being scared of the leash or anything like that. But I'm probably over-complicating things.

I'd also bring a few chew items (bully stick, chicken foot, rawhide, etc.) and some canned food (you can pack some in travel squeeze tubes) and a rubber toy that can hold the smearable stuff. An 8 week old puppy probably won't be able to consume a real chew, but you're there supervising the whole trip and even tiny puppies like to nibble on things. Lastly, I think some puppies find those stuffed animals with fake heartbeats quite comforting.

Very likely the pup will sleep most of the way and it will be fine. Can't wait to see pics of your new puppy soon!

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I was thinking the changing table in the "family" stall - it's not like it hasn't been peed on before. I'll clean up well after him, of course.

I've gotten varying tips about how much to restrict food/water before and during the trip. Any advice?

·
Registered
363 Posts
I just flew home with a puppy a couple weeks ago. The airline said to stop food and water 4 hours before the flight. We had a very short flight of only one hour. But of course were at the airport earlier. I put a pee pad in her carrier and she never even used it. As soon as the flight took off she slept the whole way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts