Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever I’m outside there are tons of flying insects over my dog. How do I get rid of these? They look like little flies, they swarm his groin, rear, feet and face. Is there a natural spray for my dog or some trap I can use? The first pic is zoomed up on the pad of his foot.

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
Some sort of gnats, probably seasonal. I'd use a spray like Adams to repel them or, a few drops of rosemary, mint and, citronella mixed in a cup of water to make a spray to repel them.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Common problem this time of year. They bite too, so not fun for the dog.

I use a bit of "Off" and spray it on my hand or a dry wash cloth and wipe the area with that. Another product that works well is "Wipe" (for horses and dogs) that you can put on a dry wash cloth and wipe the area. I do not soak the area with direct spray as my dogs all have flea/tick spot on once a month and I don't want to double up heavily with pesticide. That is why I use a wash cloth and wipe the area with just enough to repel the insects. I do this in the morning after the sun is up before I take the dog out.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
Some sort of gnats, probably seasonal. I'd use a spray like Adams to repel them or, a few drops of rosemary, mint and, citronella mixed in a cup of water to make a spray to repel them.
I may be wrong but isn’t Adams one of the “no no” brands, like Hartz?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Adams is a pesticide, like most but, for temporary pest deterrent, I see nothing wrong with using it occasionally. Yes there are natural, herbal repellents but, not everyone wants to deal with a short acting spray or wipe that basically stops working as soon as the scent of it is gone.

·
Registered
222 Posts
We live right next to saltwater marsh.....so tons of sand nats for us! Its not a magic bullet but does seem to help- boil a bunch of rosemary in a pot, makes a strong good smelling liquid. Rinse dog with it and let dry on the dog. We also wet a rag with the stuff and wipe over our little pet goats fur. Not as good as DEET but does make a difference.

·
Registered
222 Posts
The other rinse we sometimes use is made with lemongrass. Harder to find a good sized bunch of than rosemary though. We grow both. Most think that citronella comes from what is called a citronella, or mosquito plant like they sell at Lowe's and such, but the actual source is lemongrass ( the same stuff the grocery stores sell with the fresh herbs ). Its safe and edible for humans and animals just like rosemary. If you have access to it you can make a rinse same as rosemary.

·
Registered
768 Posts
We have mosquitoes. And annoying flies.
I use Ultra Shield Green, a natural product. Works well.
(thanks johnnybandit for recommending this stuff to me)
But I don't spray it directly on the dogs like the instructions
say to. Instead, I spray onto my hands and then smooth
on the dogs.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Most insects do not like strong smells. You can rub mint plants, basil leaves, or rosemary, etc. all over the dog's fur (not on his skin eyes, nose, or in his ears), to help repel bugs. You might also try rubbing the skin of an orange over his fur. And, catnip can also be used, which is almost as effective as DEET ... although it may have an interesting side effect with cats. ;-)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts