Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever flown with their dog in cargo? Any opinions?

It would be a 3lb dog (who has flown many times before, but in the cabin. Is a great traveller though), and about a 3.5hr flight.

·
Registered
750 Posts
When i moved here before my mom,couple of months later she came via a mexican airline, and brought my Boxer Austin with her.. she said the airline paid extra attention to the dog, gave him food, potty times during flight, stretching out, etc...

Of course, they ask you to have a very well equipped crate for your dog, the airline or airport has a list of requierments for crates.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Is there are reason that a 3# dog can't fly in the cabin? I thought that some of the airlines allowed dogs/cats (and sometimes ferrets) in the cabin for an additional fee?

It might be something for you to look in to. I would be hesitant to fly any of my dogs cargo, but more so if they were only 3#.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I would be hesitant to fly any of my dogs cargo, but more so if they were only 3#.
^^Me too. I mean, our first 2 cats flew in cargo from Japan to the U.S., we didn't see them for 24 hours, and they came out just fine, but they're normal sized cats (9-12 pounds) with plenty of fur. I don't know how a 3-pound dog with very thin fur will do. It does get cold up there and, though the cargo areas are heated, they're not heated to comfortable room temps. Just enough so nothing freezes. I would be asking the airline LOTS of questions about what they'd be doing to ensure my dog's comfort and safety.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there are reason that a 3# dog can't fly in the cabin? I thought that some of the airlines allowed dogs/cats (and sometimes ferrets) in the cabin for an additional fee?
She can, and normally does fly in-cabin.. but in this case, I may have a new puppy who would be in cabin with me.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
She can, and normally does fly in-cabin.. but in this case, I may have a new puppy who would be in cabin with me.
I have never flown a dog before, so excuse my ignorance, but can you put them both in one carrier? Or just pay to have two carriers in the cabin?

Are you taking Corona to meet the new puppy, and this is why she'll be flying with you? If it wasn't a requirement of the breeder, I would not fly Corona if there was a chance she'd have to be in cargo. Again, my opinion is that it is too risky.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I have never flown a dog before, so excuse my ignorance, but can you put them both in one carrier? Or just pay to have two carriers in the cabin?
I think you can only have one pet per seat (since the carrier goes under the seat). And I KNOW you aren't allowed to put them in the same carrier. Quite a problem, really. I'd hate to put such a small pet in cargo.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have flown with Billy (pug--18lbs) on board with me a few times. He is almost too big for his on-board kennel, but I am going to squeeze him (of course not unless he is uncomfortable) in that sucker until the last possible moment!

I am sketchy on him flying cargo...it could be just me being overly worried, but I can't imagine it is a very pleasant experience. Both he and I might have to pop a tranquilizer or two the first time he has to go that route.

·
Registered
361 Posts
A lot can depend on the airline. Continental is the only one where a pet can fly if it's over 85 degrees or under 45 degrees because they use an enclosed transport that is heated/air conditioned to move the pet along the tarmac. The others all use open baggage carts.

So if you aren't flying Continental pay close attention to the weather at the time you are to be flying. This time of year we are starting to hit those over 85 days.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd be flying WestJet and they seem to have a pretty good pet policy (no pets on flights in extreme weather etc).

I'm so on the fence.. I HATE the thought of putting little Corona in cargo, but it's looking like the only option I've got to get this new puppy home... hmm..

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I am sketchy on him flying cargo...it could be just me being overly worried, but I can't imagine it is a very pleasant experience. Both he and I might have to pop a tranquilizer or two the first time he has to go that route.
You're not supposed to tranq a pet flying cargo, because they can't thermo-regulate when sedated. But a tranquilizer for you......:D

·
Registered
46 Posts
You're not supposed to tranq a pet flying cargo, because they can't thermo-regulate when sedated. But a tranquilizer for you......:D
Really? Good to know. I mentioned it to my vet and she said nothing of the sort. Perhaps there was a communication break down when we were talking about it. I was referring to tranquilzing him when he went cargo, but I was taking Billy on board with me the next day...maybe she got mixed up.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
That's what I read and that's what I did when we moved here. However, the airline agent was in shock that I didn't give him a tranquilizer, she said it was better because there's a lot of noise down there.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I've flown my husky in the cargo area and had to obtain a signed letter from the vet stating that he can fly in low temps (we flew him from WA state in the dead of winter ;)). Although it's not good to completely knock them out, I think what most vets give to dogs for a flight is a sedative that just makes them a little woozy so they're not all 'together' but they are still 'awake'. At least that's what we've always received. Nothing has ever had any effect on my husky though. The chihuahuas do come out a little woozy on the meds though.

Willowy's right, you can only have one pet per seat. And most airlines have a 2 pet limit in the cabin as well. You can fly two dogs (or cats) in the same carrier only if they are both the same size, both under 6 months, and of course both fit comfortably in the carrier.

CoverTune, if you're traveling out to pick up the puppy is it possible to have the breeder ship the puppy via airline cargo to you? Sorry if that doesn't apply, I know I just made a major assumption.

·
Registered
442 Posts
West Jet is about the only airline I would trust a pet with . West Jet is a great airline , good people and care very much about pets. I used to work at an airport where there was a West Jet terminal so I've seen the treatment first hand. Are you flying out this way , west coast ? Temp is going to be your only enemy right now . Its about 33 C here in BC .

I'd be flying WestJet and they seem to have a pretty good pet policy (no pets on flights in extreme weather etc).

I'm so on the fence.. I HATE the thought of putting little Corona in cargo, but it's looking like the only option I've got to get this new puppy home... hmm..

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have shipped my dogs out (to be bred)many a time and Contental is the ONLY airline I will use.Due to there care for the animals,no temp restrictions (and actually I think most of the airlines have the temp for not above 75 degrees for the whole day).I have never used tranqulizers for my dogs and would never reccommened that anyone do this either,It can endanger your dogs life.Also if they are like contenental they will want to see you take the dog to the bathroom and will watch to see if your dog looks or act's like it is drugged (because they make you sign a release form stateing that your pet is not on any drugs unless noted on the health certificate.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've decided to go for it... I am in BC (came out here last week from Toronto), but will be driving to Calgary to get the puppy, and flying back to Toronto from there.

I will have the puppy in-cabin with me, and my experienced traveller, Corona, will be in cargo. It's an evening flight, so it definitely shouldn't be too hot.. I'm going to make sure she has a blanket in with her.

Any other tips for me and my little miss Corona??

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I've decided to go for it... I am in BC (came out here last week from Toronto), but will be driving to Calgary to get the puppy, and flying back to Toronto from there.

I will have the puppy in-cabin with me, and my experienced traveller, Corona, will be in cargo. It's an evening flight, so it definitely shouldn't be too hot.. I'm going to make sure she has a blanket in with her.

Any other tips for me and my little miss Corona??
Is it absolutely necessary for Corona to travel with you? I am unfamiliar with Canada, but how far of a drive is it from Calgary to Toronto?

Again, I'd be very concerned about flying Corona in cargo.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Is it absolutely necessary for Corona to travel with you? I am unfamiliar with Canada, but how far of a drive is it from Calgary to Toronto?

Again, I'd be very concerned about flying Corona in cargo.
It would be about a three day drive, and I don't have a vehicle, otherwise I would even consider that.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Have Corona boarded or hire a pet sitter - it will be much more comfortable for her.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts