Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum. My fiance and I have a 7-month-old Golden Retriever pup named Tucker. We are very active people, especially during the summer, so we were looking for something to do with him as the weather gradually starts to get warmer here in New England, such as agility. I came across a web site for a Flyball team in our area and I'm wondering if anyone has ever done this with their dog before. I think Tucker would have a blast doing this, but we aren't really sure where to start. I sent an e-mail to one of the contacts listed on the Flyball team web site, but I haven't received a response yet. Tucker loves chasing his tennis balls and sticks in the yard, so I think this would be a perfect activity for him! Any advice would be appreciated! :D

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Flyball is a great sport.....loud and fast! Tucker is at a great age to learn all about jumping, not being possessive of the ball (and interferring with the other dogs), drive and speed.
The one 'downside' is weekend travel/hotel costs to compete in neighboring states if your dog makes the team or is an alternate.
If you don't get a response to your email try to drop in on their training night and bring Tucker with you.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Flyball is a great sport. If you cannot afford to travel with a team, than try agility. It is a "team" sport also, you and your dog. You can minimize costs because you chose where and when you want to compete.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Flyball is a lot of fun but it is really tedious at first becasue your dog has to learn to trigger the box. Box work can get kind of boring but if you stick with it you will have fun. For a summer sport I would recommend agility. With agility you can take a little bit of a slower pace if you need to due to hot weather but flyball tends to be really physically demanding and I prefer not to make my dog run that hard in the summer. Of course, if you have a nice indoor facility with a/c then this doesn't matter!

I originally got into dog sports becasue I wanted to do flyball and found that agility and competition obedience is more my style. I'm now looking into tracking and herding too!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts