Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our dog got out of our yard. We found out she was hit by a car and met animal control officer at emergency vet. She is still depressed after 9 days and we are taking her back to vet tomorrow. She probably is pretty sore. She had small cuts stitches on one leg and high liver enzyme levels we are getting rechecked. My question, I have received a call from someone who called animal control saying our dog caused her truck $10,000 in damage. I am at a loss on how to proceded Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
My first thought was to obtain a lawyer if you have one? Was there a police report made? Were there any witnesses or pictures taken of the vehicle? Get all your evidence gathered up; reports, witnesses if any, vet bills, pictures, insurance company reports, etc.....anything you can think of.............sounds like someone out to get a suit going IMO.......I could be wrong.......this is just my way of doing things.

How large is your dog............................

EDIT: I would not in your situation do much talking and giving any information to the other party other than just being civil

·
Registered
373 Posts
I agree with the above poster. Not sure about where you live, but in Ontario the dog owner would have to pay. But, $10,000 sounds like a mighty hefty damage, even from a large dog. Good luck to you and your dog...please keep us updated on his condition!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Abbylynn, I sent reply but can't find it so this might be a repeat. She is 8 year old GSD rescue from shelter. We've had her 8 years. She is about 85 lbs.
I was thinking of checking if there was accident report, and talking to animal control. Again, thanks so much for you ideas.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
I also hope your GSD is doing well. I say these things because I have experience with a relative who went to the store for a cup of coffee with his daughter and they had an accident, she was driving.....and he is suing his own daughter......she was injured and he was not....he is using old injuries to try and get money....the car was in my Dad's name....my Dad is monetarily sound.......insurance in my Dad's name.........people have no conscience sometimes.....sadly! Long story short..........good luck.....let us know what happens.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Good Luck...

I have no idea what kind of car they were driving but 10,000 worth of damage from a dog and the dog lived? That's kinda hard to believe.

I agree with the above posters - prepare for the worst.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
more to the story.... She wondered onto the freeway. I don't think it is the person who hit her. The fact that she was on the freeway seems to be the issue.. she "caused?" an accident. I will pick up police accident report.. what a nightmare

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
Regardless, don't handle it yourself. I imagine that they will try to settle out of court. In some states, I think that the driver's No Fault insurance might pay. Your insurance may include liability.

After you get all the paperwork and all the facts, I recommend a visit to a lawyer. I don't not suggest calling your insurance agent, unless you have a good relationship. Insurance companies have a tendency to 'charge' you for a claim, and then tell you they can't help you, b/c it's not covered.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts