Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so I have a 6 month old short haired BC. I know his siter who is a live wire and i'm pretty sure is INSANE.... so anyway Nelson is nothing like his sister, he is the floppiest, laziest most low energy BC I have ever owned. I used to breed them for working purposes, I have never had one at this level of laziness. you'll tell him to drop and he'll go to sleep while he's down there, you throw a bal and he chases is half way and goes to sleep, you take him for a walk and he'll lay down and go to sleep, you tell him to sit and he'll flop over and snooze. he only plays with the other dogs if it's quiet gentle playing. I have a neighbour that has sheep and I wanted to train him for this, but all he does is flop down. he has never chewed and he never barks. he'll greet you when you come home with a big grin and excited tail wagging but that is the only time. I took him to the vet and she did many tests but all came back normal, she said he's just very low energy. has anyone ever had this happen before with such a usually high energy breed?

·
Registered
714 Posts
my husky koozie is like that. he would much rather be curled up on the couch with you, than anything else. granted some early cool mornings he can have some energy, but hes a lazy sack of bones!
i tell him he would never make it as a sled dog!

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Pups go through many metabolism changes so, you might still see an energy change but, some dogs can be sluggish all their lives. As long as the vet gives a clean bill of health and you're feeding a good quality food then, I'd accept him the way he is.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I'd also have a full 6-panel thyroid test done. This is not done as part of any regular vet exam so, unless you specifically asked for one done, it probably wasn't.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd also have a full 6-panel thyroid test done. This is not done as part of any regular vet exam so, unless you specifically asked for one done, it probably wasn't.
he's had so many blood tests done, since i got him at 9 weeks. i have paid over 1200 on all sorts of blood tests, but nothing, all of the above have been tested for.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
For a second, I thought 'Floppy Collie' was an actual breed. Now that I think about it, maybe it should be...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts