Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard of this? My Vet said it’s pretty common among Dachshunds & that she will eventually grown into her ribs, meaning it won’t be as visible as it is now.. Is this true?

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Well, floating ribs is just the term for the last rib/s that don't connect to the breastbone, which a lot of dogs (and I believe all humans) have. Your vet probably just meant that your pup's stick out a little more than average, which may well be because she's a long-bodied breed. It's not anything unusual or dangerous.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Kane had a visible floating rib when he was a young puppy. It really freaked me out the first time I noticed it! But yes, he did "grow into it" and it's not noticeable at all now.

20150827_155856.jpg

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aww such a sweetheart! Ok that’s good to know. I was freaked out thinking she had a broken rib or something ?

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Yeah, I can see how the terminology could sound ominous if you don't know what it's referring to! I can feel my poodle's floating rib (he's six) but certainly can't see it, even when he's shaved short.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah it was confusing to me especially hearing there was no treatment.. I’m so relieved to find out she will be okay though ? I’m guessing since she’s short haired & has a long torso, it’s more obvious to see because my long haired Doxie doesn’t have them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts